StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 19 Mar 15, 19:10
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have a tier IV Grant now. I'm not loving the lack of turret though.
Old 19 Mar 15, 23:27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF1987 View Post
Same here, I have several Tier 8s that I am grinding (the Pershing and the Tiger II) but my heart is in Tier 5. Alot of people say 8 is their favorite tier but for me I seem to go up against Tier 10s waaaaaay too frequently. Ive also been grinding the Tier 6 M6 Heavy tank and it's pretty decent ... it's basically the T1 Heavy with a 90mm gun.
I'd like to try the t1 and m6 but I can't stand the idea of using the Lee long enough to get to the t1
"A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant
Old 19 Mar 15, 23:30
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
Its not too bad once u get used to it,u just have to play it like a TD.
Old 20 Mar 15, 09:00
Gunnery Sergeant
Canada

JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99] JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99] JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
Its not too bad once u get used to it,u just have to play it like a TD.
It doesn't really have the view range to run it like a true TD. I did OK in mine on the way to the M4 playing like a second line tank following the push from the second line sniping.
Old 20 Mar 15, 16:45
Lieutenant Colonel
EU
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
I ran it with camo ,binoculars ,ramer and fully trained crew(gold) and did alright 60% win rate,not a favorite though.
Old 20 Mar 15, 18:52
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200] lynelhutz is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I have a tier IV Grant now. I'm not loving the lack of turret though.
I'm not sure about the Grant but if it is the same as the Lee it is a close call for the worst tank in the game. Another close contender is the Valentine. I sold it as soon as I could
Old 20 Mar 15, 19:58
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Not played low tier Japanese or French tanks yet then?
Old 20 Mar 15, 20:42
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I am using the Grant like a TD. I chose it because the line leads to the Firefly.
Old 20 Mar 15, 20:47
Lieutenant Colonel
EU

Done the same,got the Firefly and am running it with a 105 until i can research the 17pdr,and then get on to the TDs.Grinding credit for Cent 7 for missions at present though.
Old 22 Mar 15, 21:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grishnak View Post
Done the same,got the Firefly and am running it with a 105 until i can research the 17pdr,and then get on to the TDs.Grinding credit for Cent 7 for missions at present though.
You may find the 17 pdr a let down for it's often inability to penetrate opposing tanks compared to the pretty consistent damage of the 105mm
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Mar 15, 07:42
Gunnery Sergeant
Canada

JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99] JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99] JohnnySideburns is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
You may find the 17 pdr a let down for it's often inability to penetrate opposing tanks compared to the pretty consistent damage of the 105mm
I really liked the 17 pounder on both the Firefly and Achilles although the gun depression is horrible for a British tank. I find the 17 pounder pens opponents easily w/ regular AP when aiming for weak spots plus it has decent accuracy and a great ROF. IMO, it is the armor that made the tank difficult to play at tier 7 & especially tier 8.
Old 23 Mar 15, 14:01
Colonel
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200] DingBat is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
My advice is to stop using the 105 as soon as you can. The only reason is works well is because of the generally poor play of players at tiers 4-7. Relying on the 105 derp just postpones learning the lessons you need for higher tier play.

At higher tiers "pretty consistent" is code for "not very much".
Old 25 Mar 15, 00:58
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
My advice is to stop using the 105 as soon as you can. The only reason is works well is because of the generally poor play of players at tiers 4-7. Relying on the 105 derp just postpones learning the lessons you need for higher tier play.

At higher tiers "pretty consistent" is code for "not very much".
I have a high rate of hits to misses, generally on the order of 80 to 90%. It really doesn't matter what the weapon is. What matters to me is getting damage as a result of a hit.
Playing without putting a nickel into the game means that I can't just go loading "gold" rounds and in the higher tiers often those are the only thing that goes through with armor piercing rounds with any consistency. That means I end up using HE more. I have to take that hit because I'm not dumping cubic dollars into the game.

If I did, I too could have instant 100% crews, never have to change a crew from a vehicle, have a huge stable of vehicles, buy a few premium ones, convert cash to experience, and add all the bells and whistles I wanted to each vehicle, not to mention a premium account.

That I can play affectively at up to Tier VIII at all handicapped like that says something. It says I do well even though I often have to use crap in battles. It also doesn't speak well of those who do dump huge amounts into the game.

From what I've experienced versus Tier VIII to X vehicles the players aren't any better but you are far more likely to be facing ones that are paying to play and that means they are using "gold" consistently, have "derped" (whatever the hell that idiocy means) crews, and are playing premium accounts.
It's no different than other MMO's I've played in. The part that irks me is that they think substituting cash for being actually able to play makes them good players.

I know I can tell on sight what vehicle is what. As you should be able to surmise from my posting on this board alone, I know what a vehicle's armor is, it's likely gun, it's penetration, mobility, and a lot more. That helps because I know how to aim for weak spots at closer ranges. I know what a vehicle's weaknesses should be. That too is something most players have no clue about.

Of course, I also have to pay attention to the fact WoT is a game and that what works in reality often doesn't in the game. If things worked like reality and it was a simulation rather than just an arcade game then the line of prototypes, never existeds, and impossible variants of tanks wouldn't often be the ones that are "best" in the game.
But, it is just a game. It is a diversion for me, and a free one.

Can you make equal claims about your play?

Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 25 Mar 15 at 01:43..
Old 25 Mar 15, 08:37
Gunnery Sergeant
Canada

Quote:
I have a high rate of hits to misses, generally on the order of 80 to 90%. It really doesn't matter what the weapon is. What matters to me is getting damage as a result of a hit.
Playing without putting a nickel into the game means that I can't just go loading "gold" rounds and in the higher tiers often those are the only thing that goes through with armor piercing rounds with any consistency. That means I end up using HE more. I have to take that hit because I'm not dumping cubic dollars into the game.

If I did, I too could have instant 100% crews, never have to change a crew from a vehicle, have a huge stable of vehicles, buy a few premium ones, convert cash to experience, and add all the bells and whistles I wanted to each vehicle, not to mention a premium account.

That I can play affectively at up to Tier VIII at all handicapped like that says something. It says I do well even though I often have to use crap in battles. It also doesn't speak well of those who do dump huge amounts into the game.

From what I've experienced versus Tier VIII to X vehicles the players aren't any better but you are far more likely to be facing ones that are paying to play and that means they are using "gold" consistently, have "derped" (whatever the hell that idiocy means) crews, and are playing premium accounts.
It's no different than other MMO's I've played in. The part that irks me is that they think substituting cash for being actually able to play makes them good players.

I know I can tell on sight what vehicle is what. As you should be able to surmise from my posting on this board alone, I know what a vehicle's armor is, it's likely gun, it's penetration, mobility, and a lot more. That helps because I know how to aim for weak spots at closer ranges. I know what a vehicle's weaknesses should be. That too is something most players have no clue about.

Of course, I also have to pay attention to the fact WoT is a game and that what works in reality often doesn't in the game. If things worked like reality and it was a simulation rather than just an arcade game then the line of prototypes, never existeds, and impossible variants of tanks wouldn't often be the ones that are "best" in the game.
But, it is just a game. It is a diversion for me, and a free one.

Can you make equal claims about your play?
lol, when you use the 105mm gun you are playing a DERP gun, a DERP is basicly a howitzer with HEAT (low pen and high damage). So you are one of the DERPers you criticized in you above post. So although you think your not one of the Bad DERPers you actually are playing the same game, just not with gold.

I'm sorry but gold rounds don't make good players, not even close. Simply put, you can spam all the gold you want but if you don't have the skills to stay alive your going back to the garage like all the other scrubs. Gold is part of the game and always will be part of MMOs, its how they stay alive so you and I can "play for free".
Old 25 Mar 15, 11:59
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySideburns View Post
lol, when you use the 105mm gun you are playing a DERP gun, a DERP is basicly a howitzer with HEAT (low pen and high damage). So you are one of the DERPers you criticized in you above post. So although you think your not one of the Bad DERPers you actually are playing the same game, just not with gold.

I'm sorry but gold rounds don't make good players, not even close. Simply put, you can spam all the gold you want but if you don't have the skills to stay alive your going back to the garage like all the other scrubs. Gold is part of the game and always will be part of MMOs, its how they stay alive so you and I can "play for free".
Actually, I don't use the HEAT round, just the HE. Because the HEAT costs too much and isn't very affective by comparison (poor penetration rate most of the time). Part of the game is the economics of it. If I want to get a "better" vehicle or whatnot, I have to have a balance sheet that is in the black.

As far as gold goes, you are right, but a player using gold has the advantage in penetration against one that doesn't. It also makes a difference when you buy crew quality. Not an overwhelming one but it is an edge.

I also didn't complain that people do this. I have no problem if someone wants to dump lots of cash into the game. That's their choice. I wasn't complaining above at all. Rather I was pointing out the reality of how things are in that game.
I play for free and accept the limitations that has. But, that doesn't make me a poor player for the choices I have to make with that limitation on my play.

Oh, I still don't get what a "Derp" is either...

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!