StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks

Notices and Announcements

The Barracks For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.

Old 14 Mar 16, 15:14
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bwaha has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
  • TO: GOD, FROM: THE DOG
  • Dear God: Why do humans smell the flowers, but seldom, if ever, smell one another?
  • Dear God: When we get to heaven, can we sit on your couch? Or is it still the same old story?
  • Dear God: Why are there cars named after the jaguar, the cougar, the mustang, the colt, the stingray and the rabbit, but not ONE named for a dog? How often do you see a cougar riding around? We do love a nice ride! Would it be so hard to rename the "Chrysler Eagle" the "Chrysler Beagle"?
  • Dear God: If a dog barks his head off in the forest and no human hears him, is he still a bad dog?
  • Dear God: We dogs can understand human verbal instructions, hand signals, whistles, horns, clickers, beepers, scent IDs, electromagnetic energy fields and Frisbee flight paths. What do humans understand?
  • Dear God: More meatballs, less spaghetti, please.
  • Dear God: Are there mailmen in Heaven? If there are, will I have to apologize?
  • Dear God: Let me give you a list of just some of the things I must remember to be a good dog.
  1. I will not eat the cats' food before they eat it or after they throw it up.
  2. I will not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc. just because I like the way they smell.
  3. The litter box is not a cookie jar.
  4. The sofa is not a ”face towel.”
  5. The garbage collector is not stealing our stuff.
  6. I will not play tug-of-war with Dad's underwear when he's on the toilet.
  7. Sticking my nose into someone's crotch is an unacceptable way of saying "hello."
  8. I don't need to suddenly stand straight up when I'm under the coffee table.
  9. I must shake the rainwater out of my fur before entering the house—not after.
  10. I will not come in from outside and immediately drag my butt.
  11. I will not sit in the middle of the living room and lick my crotch.
  12. The cat is not a squeaky toy so when I play with him and he makes that noise, it's usually not a good thing.
P.S. Dear God: When I get to Heaven may I have my testicles back?

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman
Old 15 Mar 16, 12:37
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Otto and Katie - a tribute

Hi guys,

Please allow me to introduce you to Otto and Katie, our much loved little dogs:

Otto

Katie

Otto (front) & Katie (rear)

Otto (left) & Katie (right)

Otto and Katie are about the same age (8 years) and we had Otto from a pup so we know his age just about spot on.
When Otto was about 6, we decided to get him another dog as a companion and playmate.
We went back to the breeder we got Otto from and asked them if they had a dog about the same age.

They had some females who'd had a number of litters already, were not going to be used for breeding any more and were looking for a good home.
We were told we could take one of them as our pet, free of charge, on the strict understanding that we would have the dog sterilized.
We readily agreed as we were not interested in breeding dogs and in any case, Otto had himself been sterilized already.

We decided we'd take whichever of these dogs Otto got on best with.
One at a time, the breeder obligingly produced each of the available dogs in turn.
A couple of them looked as if they wanted to rip Otto's face off and might have done so if they hadn't been restrained.
Some others were indifferent to him; with a slight curious sniff at most and that was that.

However, there was one who seemed very happy to see Otto (no, she wasn't on heat) and Otto was just as friendly in his return greeting.
That was it. Decision made!
The female's name was Katie and we decided not to try to change it.
We liked the name anyway and it seemed to suit her.

Otto and Katie had a few minor fights in the first couple or so weeks but soon settled down and became great friends.
They seem inseparable now and even though we can remember what it was like to have just Otto on his own, we can't imagine him being without a doggie friend any more.

Unfortunately, we got some very sad news from our vet recently.

Katie had begun having some strange symptoms which included excessive drinking of water - even when the weather was not hot - and excessive urination.
The vet did a number of checks and tests and one thing led to another.
Eventually, we were advised that an ultrasound would help to find out whatever was going on.
We immediately agreed and the results were devastating to us.
Katie has at least three tumors; two in her liver and one very large one growing in/around an adrenal gland.
The condition is inoperable.

We don't know how long Katie has got as the vet was unable to say with any certainty;
but for the time being at least, she does not appear to be in pain, still has a good appetite and continues to enjoy going for walks.

I'm sure I don't need to say how we feel about this.
My wife wept and I'm not at all ashamed to say I did the same.
We love both our dogs to bits and we were shattered by the diagnosis.

I've just posted four pics for now.
I may add a few more over the next day or two.

Best to all,
Paul
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)

Last edited by panther3485; 16 Mar 16 at 05:20..
Old 15 Mar 16, 13:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]

So sorry to hear... enjoy the good times.

I would be devastated if my cross-eyed male tuxedo cat got sick.
Old 15 Mar 16, 20:35
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I started fostering older dogs with disabilities a few years ago. Usually they don't get adopted, and finish out their run with me. No matter how high maintenance or how short of a time they are with me, its so hard when go. I'll get some pictures organized. I can remember how to upload my personal pics anymore.
Old 17 Mar 16, 17:47
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I. I'll get some pictures organized. I can remember how to upload my personal pics anymore.
Well, get with it!
Old 22 Mar 16, 10:35
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900]
CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900] CarpeDiem has earned the respect of all [900]
Here are our two rotten dogs, English bull terriers.
Oscar is the white one, Clementine the tri-colour.
He's a big softy who loves everyone and is afraid of bees.
She's got attitude and the one to watch out for. She was rescued from a puppy mill where she had unknown number of litters. Obviously beaten too because she was cowed and terrified of anything on our hands when we first got her. She's much better now and as you can see, loves her Oscar.
Perhaps more than he would like at times but he stoically endures.

to all the great pets on here and the owners who love them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New bed.jpg (93.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Posing.JPG (108.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Today.jpg (64.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Thekids.JPG (123.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 22 Mar 16, 10:45
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Great looking dogs, CarpeDiem!
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Old 22 Mar 16, 12:30
General of the Forums
United_States

Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900] Trung Si has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeDiem View Post
Here are our two rotten dogs, English bull terriers.
Oscar is the white one, Clementine the tri-colour.
He's a big softy who loves everyone and is afraid of bees.
She's got attitude and the one to watch out for. She was rescued from a puppy mill where she had unknown number of litters. Obviously beaten too because she was cowed and terrified of anything on our hands when we first got her. She's much better now and as you can see, loves her Oscar.
Perhaps more than he would like at times but he stoically endures.

to all the great pets on here and the owners who love them
!
Old 25 Mar 16, 04:08
Vas Fullonibus
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Duncan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
What is hopefully the end of treatment for a mast cell tumor. Kitty does not love the oncologist.

Last edited by Duncan; 25 Mar 16 at 04:22..
Old 25 Mar 16, 04:27
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
What is hopefully the end of treatment for a mast cell tumor. Kitty does not love the oncologist.

Hope the treatment is successful.
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Mar 16, 00:59
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Leeloo helping me mod' the forums.

She can't type worth a damn either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leeloo Helping-1.jpg (84.0 KB, 54 views)

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 28 Mar 16, 21:52
United_States
Summer Campaign Greatest Westerns Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Biscuit has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung Si View Post
Well, get with it!
Okay, so while I was away from ACG I started fostering older dogs with disabilities. I hate losing them, but giving them a great last few years has turned into a mission.

Max and Chandler both passed away with me. Max was the first to go, and the hardest. Next came Fritz to keep Chandler company. Then Fritz was alone, and Chewy came to keep Fritz company. Chewy got adopted, which awesome! Two weeks ago, I took my first full on rescue into the house. Coco isn't up for adoption, but he's keeping Fritzie Bear company. I attached some pictures of my crew!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaxChandler.jpg (78.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg FritzChewy.jpg (95.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg CoCo.jpg (93.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Fritz.jpg (55.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg FritzCoCo.jpg (60.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 29 Mar 16, 12:35
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
Okay, so while I was away from ACG I started fostering older dogs with disabilities. I hate losing them, but giving them a great last few years has turned into a mission.

Max and Chandler both passed away with me. Max was the first to go, and the hardest. Next came Fritz to keep Chandler company. Then Fritz was alone, and Chewy came to keep Fritz company. Chewy got adopted, which awesome! Two weeks ago, I took my first full on rescue into the house. Coco isn't up for adoption, but he's keeping Fritzie Bear company. I attached some pictures of my crew!
Old 29 Mar 16, 13:41
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700] dgfred is a glorious beacon of light [700]
What a great thing to do Heather.

Old 13 May 16, 23:56
Australia

RIP - Katie

Sad news regarding Katie.
She passed away this morning and we laid her to rest in our back yard.
Katie was a very affectionate dog with a great personality; loved by everyone who met her.
She added tremendous value to our lives. We could not have asked for better.

Rest in Peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post

Katie

Otto (left) & Katie (right)

Otto and Katie are about the same age (8 years) and we had Otto from a pup so we know his age just about spot on.
When Otto was about 6, we decided to get him another dog as a companion and playmate.
We went back to the breeder we got Otto from and asked them if they had a dog about the same age.

They had some females who'd had a number of litters already, were not going to be used for breeding any more and were looking for a good home.
We were told we could take one of them as our pet, free of charge, on the strict understanding that we would have the dog sterilized.
We readily agreed as we were not interested in breeding dogs and in any case, Otto had himself been sterilized already.

We decided we'd take whichever of these dogs Otto got on best with.
One at a time, the breeder obligingly produced each of the available dogs in turn.
A couple of them looked as if they wanted to rip Otto's face off and might have done so if they hadn't been restrained.
Some others were indifferent to him; with a slight curious sniff at most and that was that.

However, there was one who seemed very happy to see Otto (no, she wasn't on heat) and Otto was just as friendly in his return greeting.
That was it. Decision made!
The female's name was Katie and we decided not to try to change it.
We liked the name anyway and it seemed to suit her.

Otto and Katie had a few minor fights in the first couple or so weeks but soon settled down and became great friends.
They seem inseparable now and even though we can remember what it was like to have just Otto on his own, we can't imagine him being without a doggie friend any more.

Unfortunately, we got some very sad news from our vet recently.

Katie had begun having some strange symptoms which included excessive drinking of water - even when the weather was not hot - and excessive urination.
The vet did a number of checks and tests and one thing led to another.
Eventually, we were advised that an ultrasound would help to find out whatever was going on.
We immediately agreed and the results were devastating to us.
Katie has at least three tumors; two in her liver and one very large one growing in/around an adrenal gland.
The condition is inoperable.

We don't know how long Katie has got as the vet was unable to say with any certainty;
but for the time being at least, she does not appear to be in pain, still has a good appetite and continues to enjoy going for walks.

I'm sure I don't need to say how we feel about this.
My wife wept and I'm not at all ashamed to say I did the same.
We love both our dogs to bits and we were shattered by the diagnosis.

I've just posted four pics for now.
I may add a few more over the next day or two.

Best to all,
Paul

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!