StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 25 Aug 14, 19:36
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
Europa Barbarorum 2 released

One of the most anticipated modifications of any Total War game ever. I will let the descriptions speak for themselves, and while you're at it, check out some screenshots or download the game and see for yourself, but you will need Medieval 2 Total War first.

What is Europa Barbarorum 2 you ask?

Quote:
When the Europa Barbarorum Team set out in 2007 to create the sequel to the award-winning mod, Europa Barbarorum I, few of us guessed what a long and winding road it would be from then to this moment. The original goal of Europa Barbarorum I was, to a large degree, to add to and improve the historical experience of Rome: Total War. Our goal when we set out to create Europa Barbarorum II was much grander. This time, we wanted to go to the limits of what we could create within the bounds of the M2TW engine, in order to create the best and most detailed historical strategy game possible. This proved to be a greater challenge than any of us anticipated.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2-0-released!&

Europa Barbarorum is a total conversion for Medieval II: Total War: Kingdoms and successor to Europa Barbarorum for Rome: Total War. The aim is to give the player an even better gaming experience compared to EB1 on the RTW engine and a deeper comprehension of the ancient world and its correlations.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/europa-barbarorum-2

Europa Barbarorum II is a total conversion modification (mod). It covers roughly the same time period as the Imperial Campaign included with Rome: Total War, but made for use with Medieval 2 Total War: Kingdoms.

Contrary to what the name might imply, Europa Barbarorum is not solely focused on barbarian factions. The name was derived from the roots of the project when our desire was to portray barbarians more accurately, but Europa Barbarorum goes to great lengths to portray all factions correctly, including Rome.

www.europabarbarorum.com
Europa Barbarorum 2.0 released!
Europa Barbarorum 2.0 released!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/europa-barbarorum-2
Europa Barbarorum II

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 26 Aug 14, 04:20
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
I enjoyed the original a lot and still play it sometimes - gave up on the franchise when Kingdoms installed some sort of copyright protection on my hard-drive that eventually forced me to buy a new DVD reader.

I have never bought a legal product from them since. This one however may cause me to review that policy

Have those issues be resolved ?

What I liked most about EB was the tactical AI - it was often better than the newer line of products - even though the team has always maintained nothing was done to it since it was hardcoded.

Kingdoms for example had this strange feature that made every enemy army charge you head on if you outnumbered them in archers.

Any news in that department ?

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 26 Aug 14, 05:34
Colonel
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
Vacationing in France @ present but checking on the .org and totalwar.com message boards; apart from some folks having issues with screen resolution and installation issues it looks like a hit.

Now I have to decide which vice to indulge upon my return home; EB II or WITP AE.
Old 04 Sep 14, 16:30
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The dirty, stinky Gauls who, in the spirit of true barbarians, drink undiluted wine (among their many barbarian customs) are trembling in their meager shantytowns because I'm coming to settle unfinished business from EB I.

Liberate tuteme ex inferis!

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia
Old 06 Sep 14, 04:34
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+] MonsterZero has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Played it for a while. Unstable like hell with my rig, crashes to the desktop. Will wait until patch before I play again. None of my other Total War games ever caused a crash to the desktop.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
--Frederick II, King of Prussia
Old 16 Sep 14, 06:47
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300] Frtigern is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterZero View Post
Played it for a while. Unstable like hell with my rig, crashes to the desktop. Will wait until patch before I play again. None of my other Total War games ever caused a crash to the desktop.
Its only a beta of the complete mod. All of the development team are volunteers so they can't hire people to play test the game before beta release. As a complete conversion of a game from one period of time to another also complicates things a bit.

There is a new patch out.
[URL="http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?666243-Europa-Barbarorum-2-01-released!"]Europa Barbarorum 2.01 released![URL]

Go check it out. They are focusing on fixing the stability issues. The M2TW engine is 8 years old. Most PC gamers don't even play on computers that old anymore. So compatibility issues will pop up with people on newer computers and different operating systems. Hopefully the newest patch will have resolved your ctd issues.
Old 16 Sep 14, 07:26
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Anything on gameplay - Tac AI specifically ?

I actually prefered the older EB in that regard over many of the Kingdoms mods.

Old 17 Sep 14, 09:46
Major General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
Anything on gameplay - Tac AI specifically ?

I actually prefered the older EB in that regard over many of the Kingdoms mods.
Yes, I preferred EB 1 battle AI over EB 2.0 battle AI. Personally I found that cavalry charges dont do as much damage as they should and that they don't charge properly. Also skirmishers don't seem to really skirmish. Also, movement seems to be slower. The melee combat takes significantly longer, but I am not sure if that is bad. Actually I think the cavalry charges in EB 1 were a bit overpowered. It made you have large armies with almost half being cavalry because you knew that 1) the ai doesnt recruit many cavalry and 2) a well planned flanking movement could take care of the entire enemy in minutes. So instead of focusing on cavalry, it makes you think of how to properly utilize missile units and infantry. Still, I found it frustrating when cavalry don't charge properly.

People have made changes to the battle AI already,
EB2 BAI 1.0 testing. There were some BAI changes in EB 2.01 version, but am not sure if they contain the adjustments in the first BAI submod.
Old 18 Sep 14, 04:35
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frtigern View Post
Yes, I preferred EB 1 battle AI over EB 2.0 battle AI. Personally I found that cavalry charges dont do as much damage as they should and that they don't charge properly. Also skirmishers don't seem to really skirmish. Also, movement seems to be slower. The melee combat takes significantly longer, but I am not sure if that is bad.
Understood. The no-skirmishing thing is something I seem to remember from other mods based on the engine.

Quote:
Actually I think the cavalry charges in EB 1 were a bit overpowered. It made you have large armies with almost half being cavalry because you knew that 1) the ai doesnt recruit many cavalry and 2) a well planned flanking movement could take care of the entire enemy in minutes. So instead of focusing on cavalry, it makes you think of how to properly utilize missile units and infantry. Still, I found it frustrating when cavalry don't charge properly.
The fix-and-flank yes, the doom of most any AI TW army

Still EB managed to counter that to some degree by making quality cavalry somewhat hard to get and expensive, especially in the early game.

Of course once you've got a sizeable empire and can pay and produce whatever you want, much of the challenge disappears.

Roman household cavalry I found particularly overpowerd since those bodyguard units - often over 50 men - can decide battles in a way you'd expect of medevial knights especially against early opponenets.

If you allow your neighbours to build up though or simply "arrange" interesting battles and campaigns the game can be quite challenging.

There are some factions I simply can't seem to build up successfully especially in the east.

Quote:
People have made changes to the battle AI already,
EB2 BAI 1.0 testing. There were some BAI changes in EB 2.01 version, but am not sure if they contain the adjustments in the first BAI submod.
The old TW community had some very talented modders in it, don't know how many of them are still around or how the newer games have affected them,

Even then AI performance can be affected by game difficulty, unit size, unit stats and pathfinding and/or movement etc - a very diificult balance to strike no doubt..

I'll be following developments with interest

Old 15 May 15, 09:43
Major General
United_States

Europa Barbarorum 2.02 is released!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...02-is-released!

Quote:
Just so that everyone is absolutely clear, this is not the summer release you had an announcement about back in April. This is a precursor to that release, its a test-bed for a whole host of gameplay changes, some of which may well feature in that full release. What this means is that there are no new units here, but a lot of the underlying mechanics that support the game have been amended, reworked or even replaced entirely.
Looks like EB 2 is now in the real beta stage. With strong player feedback on the original release and its patch EB 2.01, the team has released 2.02 which compiles a lot fixes and submods that the community has asked for and/or made themselves. So 2.01 could be said to be the Alpha game, 2.02 the Beta and the next full release with everything tweaked will be 2.03. Of course, support won't end there. As in, the original EB I, its the support of dedicated players that provide the feedback to modders of EB who are players themselves. EB I was created in April 2008 and is still active! This speaks to the quality of a mod of a game from April 2004. 7 years later and people are still playing EB I. Go check it out at: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...Barbarorum-(EB)

The only reason the EB I is unstable is because Creative Assembly and EA stopped support of the game. People have been able to make it more stable on the RTW: Alexander expansion but there was and I believe still is a push for CA to release the source code for the RTW game to the public so it can create the game that they couldn't or won't.

One reason EB was developed for M2TW was to address the limitations of the RTW engine and because M2TW is more "refined" meaning less buggy to mod. Honestly, even after playing R2TW with all the Radious mods, I still go back to EB 2. M2TW was the last Total War game which perfected the integration of turn based campaign with real time tactical battles. Shogun 2 wasn't bad but it was different, but then R2TW happened... and now Atilla. It's like with each new installment the player is given less control and fine tuning of the faction they play. I can't speak for Atilla since I haven't played it, I'm waiting for it to go on sale with all the DLC because I feel EA's DLC is WAY overpriced! Makes me wish for the days of expansions for games, where each expansion was like its own game...

Snowygerry, as you have pointed out, it looks like the EB team has addressed a lot of the earlier issues players have noted. This release should be much better. I will be installing it tonight and give it a test.
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Sep 17, 09:24
Major General
United_States

A lot has changed since 2.02, for a while they were releasing weekly and monthly patches. the latest being 2.2r. Check out the list of changes here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-2-2r-released!

Also, 2.3, which is supposed to be one of the largest and most significant updates in the past year is coming soon. Check out this teaser:

Also check out their Twitter: https://twitter.com/EBTeam
Old 26 Sep 17, 09:39
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

A teaser in the strictest sense of the word - I may have to sacrifice a night to try this one out

What is the basic version of the game it runs on ?

The Kingdoms expansion iirc ?

Edit, I noticed a phalanx unit in the clip, the elite phalanx in the original were close to the strongest units in the game.

A fully developed Egypt or even Carthage army with 5-6 of those really made you think twice before attacking, in fact I think I still have a Roman campaign on a laptop somewhere that stalled for that reason.

Egypt had conquered the entire East before I met them and although I took their mainland they use their Greek lands to pump out phalanxes and ate my legions as fast as I could ship them from Rome...

Last edited by Snowygerry; 26 Sep 17 at 09:51..
Old 26 Sep 17, 10:16
Major General
United_States

Needs M2TW Kingdoms to play. The phalanx always seemed overpowered in EB1 but they don't feel so invincible in EB2. I have gotten bored of using them. Much more fun using theuros-type light and medium infantry and surrounding them kinda like a Hellenic copy of a Roman maniple with heavy hoplites in reserve.
Old 26 Sep 17, 10:25
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Well yes bored of them, but if the enemy produces them I have to deal with them,

no doubt the Gauls and the Carthaginians figured my early Rorarii were also overpowered, I conquered their homelands with them after all

I think Egypt will live though, conquering such an extended empire with top level units would likely take more time then I'm prepared to invest, so the phalanx proves its worth I guess.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!