StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > Russia, Central Asia, and The Caucasus > Ukrainian Crisis

Notices and Announcements

Ukrainian Crisis Discuss the unfolding crisis in Ukraine.

Old 13 Oct 14, 07:45
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
"Communist" is to many US Americans what "Fascist" is to many Russians here, shadows of the Cold War in one case, 2nd War the other.

Examples of successful propaganda - both.
You shouldn't forget the term "Fascists" is extensively used by the Left all over the world.

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour
Old 13 Oct 14, 07:55
General of the Forums
Belgium
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Snowygerry has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
As an adjective then - as in "fascist cops" ?

It is true some regard every nation state as fascist and will thus refer to every public servant as being "fascist" be it a train conductor a policeman or tax collector,

but I suspect that was more the prevalent in 70s and 80s, the German RAF or the Belgian CCC, for example used such rhetoric, while their rivals of course labelled them "Communist" terrorists.

Captain Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.
Old 13 Oct 14, 08:28
Major
Russia
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri View Post
What registry number?

Unless we know exactly what it means it's impossible to say. The military hardly ever uses sequential order starting from 0(Ukraine doesn't have 93 brigades for example).

The picture does not offer much proof either, is it just two graves? And if so, why the numbers end in 2 and 4, should it not be 2 and 3 if the order is starting from zero? It could be too many things to be any one thing.
Great post, you argue about what it means without even being able to read Ukranian and understand what it says, well done, top marks.
It says, in Ukranian, реєстр, which is register, and then the number. Somehow I suspect you knew this.....

Last edited by Khepesh; 13 Oct 14 at 09:14..
Old 13 Oct 14, 10:16
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khepesh View Post
Great post, you argue about what it means without even being able to read Ukranian and understand what it says, well done, top marks.
It says, in Ukranian, реєстр, which is register, and then the number. Somehow I suspect you knew this.....
I am going by personal experience here, if you can prove me that the army uses this kind of sequential scheme to number the dead then by all means do so. Otherwise I am going to assume it doesn't, since it does so no where else either.

Also, it could read in Ethiopian for all I care and it still does not prove the numbering sequence either way, so your argument is rather flat on those grounds.

You do understand that register is just that, a register number. The number itself can follow any scheme, hell it can even have letters in it. This is not so hard to understand that I need to learn Ukrainian, but apparently for you it is.
Old 13 Oct 14, 10:29
Major
Russia

Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99] Khepesh is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
I am going by personal experience here, if you can prove me that the army uses this kind of sequential scheme to number the dead then by all means do so. Otherwise I am going to assume it doesn't, since it does so no where else either.

Also, it could read in Ethiopian for all I care and it still does not prove the numbering sequence either way, so your argument is rather flat on those grounds.

You do understand that register is just that, a register number. The number itself can follow any scheme, hell it can even have letters in it. This is not so hard to understand that I need to learn Ukrainian, but apparently for you it is.
not interested in these games....
Sponsored Links

Old 13 Oct 14, 10:38
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
not interested in these games....
Then stop making arguments you can't see through.
Old 13 Oct 14, 11:11
Major
Russia

Quote:
Then stop making arguments you can't see through.
You asked me a question and I gave you a proper reply. If you don't like my answer, then that is your affair.
Old 13 Oct 14, 11:20
General of the Forums
Finland

Quote:
You asked me a question and I gave you a proper reply. If you don't like my answer, then that is your affair.
What are you on about? You're the one who started crying about games.

In any case, shouldn't there be about 6000 other such graves somewhere? We only have pictures of two. So I'm gonna leave this discussion here as usual.
Old 13 Oct 14, 11:40
Major
Russia

Quote:
What are you on about? You're the one who started crying about games.

In any case, shouldn't there be about 6000 other such graves somewhere? We only have pictures of two. So I'm gonna leave this discussion here as usual.
So, you cannot read Ukranian, which I do not expect you to, yet make some argument based on not knowing what the words on the grave marker actually mean, which is rather bold, to say the least. Then when given a proper reply, and further information from Ukranian TSN channel, particulary about the convoys of dead turning up to morgues everyday, and an admission from ukies that they have 2000 MIA, this is still insuficient evidence for you that ukies suffered many thousands of deaths, and you now want photos of all the graves, which you know is totaly unrealistic and evidence that nobody can provide. And if 6500+ photos of graves could be produced, what would you need next to satisfy you, a golden calf perhaps. No wonder you want to leave the "discussion"......
Old 13 Oct 14, 12:22
General of the Forums
Finland

Quote:
So, you cannot read Ukranian, which I do not expect you to, yet make some argument based on not knowing what the words on the grave marker actually mean, which is rather bold, to say the least.
I can read English, which is what yous have been posting here in. From that on the discussion is clear enough, furthermore the text does not make any difference as was proven by the translation.

Quote:
Then when given a proper reply, and further information from Ukranian TSN channel, particulary about the convoys of dead turning up to morgues everyday, and an admission from ukies that they have 2000 MIA, this is still insuficient evidence for you that ukies suffered many thousands of deaths, and you now want photos of all the graves, which you know is totaly unrealistic and evidence that nobody can provide.
This is not a discussion of "many thousand deaths" this is about what these graves and the text proves; which is nothing so far. If you watch the video you can see that the numbers do not follow any sequence besides starting with 6.

Really, what is your argument?
That there's a grave with the number 6554 in it, that there's reports of deaths(in a war, how strange), and thus this number MUST MEAN that it is defender number 6554 who is dead here. You don't know what the number means anymore than I do. only difference is that I am not claiming to know what it means.

Quote:
And if 6500+ photos of graves could be produced, what would you need next to satisfy you, a golden calf perhaps. No wonder you want to leave the "discussion"......
I'd just need someone who actually KNOWS what the number means. Not someone who assumes he knows, then think he knows and then denounces everyone who asks a question.

And also, with your theory, should there not be 6500+ graves of unidentified soldiers? Which would mean that there'd have to be a lot more identified bodies(following normal figures in this case). Which again is pointless speculation since we don't know what the numbers means. Other than that it is a registry number.
Old 13 Oct 14, 12:50
Major
Russia

Quote:
I can read English, which is what yous have been posting here in. From that on the discussion is clear enough, furthermore the text does not make any difference as was proven by the translation.

This is not a discussion of "many thousand deaths" this is about what these graves and the text proves; which is nothing so far. If you watch the video you can see that the numbers do not follow any sequence besides starting with 6.

Really, what is your argument?
That there's a grave with the number 6554 in it, that there's reports of deaths(in a war, how strange), and thus this number MUST MEAN that it is defender number 6554 who is dead here. You don't know what the number means anymore than I do. only difference is that I am not claiming to know what it means.

I'd just need someone who actually KNOWS what the number means. Not someone who assumes he knows, then think he knows and then denounces everyone who asks a question.

And also, with your theory, should there not be 6500+ graves of unidentified soldiers? Which would mean that there'd have to be a lot more identified bodies(following normal figures in this case). Which again is pointless speculation since we don't know what the numbers means. Other than that it is a registry number.
Please let your blood pressure drop and then repeat in reasonable English so you can be understood better.
Old 13 Oct 14, 13:19
General of the Forums
Finland

Well, I dumbed it down already, but I guess not low enough. I'll try again:
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE NUMBER MEANS.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE NUMBER MEANS.
Old 13 Oct 14, 15:11
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Well, I dumbed it down already, but I guess not low enough. I'll try again:
YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE NUMBER MEANS.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE NUMBER MEANS.
No matter how I disagree with you on many other points, I'm with you on this one. A registry number might mean just about anything: the number of dead in a certain "accounting period", which might be a whole decade, it might be the number of all casualties lumped together, or these numbers might mean something entirely different, like in the number 6554 the digits "65" might indicate a certain region and "54" stands for the number of dead. Unless someone provides exact information on the methodology of official registry of casualties in the Ukrainian Army, we can't say anything definitive about these plaques.

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour
Old 13 Oct 14, 19:26
Banned
EU

Corbeau is on the path to success [1-99] Corbeau is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
You asked me a question and I gave you a proper reply.
You didn't.
Old 13 Oct 14, 21:14
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Exorcist has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
-- Post deleted. Please discuss the topic, not each other. Thank you, ACG Staff. - -
If your argument is that the government doesn't spy on its own citizens then you're completely oblivious to reality.
Blaming the Las Vegas massacre on gun owners is like blaming 9-11 on frequent fliers.

Last edited by GCoyote; 14 Oct 14 at 09:16..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!