StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > World History Group Hosting > RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II

Notices and Announcements

RKKA (The Russian Army) in World War II Discuss the Russian armed forces in World War II. Hosted by our resident Russian expert, AMVAS. Please visit his RKKA in WW2 Website.

Old 09 Aug 04, 05:51
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99] Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99]
How would ou rate Das Boot Andrey
Old 09 Aug 04, 13:27
General
Russia

Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
How would ou rate Das Boot Andrey
I am Russian and I never was in German U-boat - :-).

But according all my info about German U-boats in WWII "Das Boot" is very good, true and realistic movie about that period of battle for Atlantic when Allies began to win.
Old 06 Sep 04, 18:35
Sergeant
Russia

Oleg Grigoryev is a balanced individual [0]
Quote:
Originally posted by Kunikov
For those interested in a "Band Of Brothers" type series you would like "ShtrafBat" "Penal Battalion" which follows a battalion of GULAG prisoners and other regular soldiers and officers who had been sent to the battalion throughout a few years of the war. It isn't from the beginning to end of the war, but nonetheless an absolutely EXCELLENT and AMAZINGlY well done movie. It just came out a few weeks ago and is 5 DVD's long, each DVD has 2 parts on it the last contains 3, 11 in all. In NY it costs 55 dollars for the set, VHS is 45 dollars.
Too bad it has so many factual mistakes... For ones there were only one or two penal battalion per-front. They were composed not of GULAG inmates but of officers sentenced by tribunals to various jail-times for various misdeeds. The battalions itself was reminiscent in its TOE to the regular army regiments. And it was commanded by regular army officers and not by convicts. If anybody has a knowledge of Russian, here is memories written by CO of such a penal batallion:http://www.rkka.ru/memory/pylcyn/main.htm - " Penal Strike or how Officer's Penal Battalion went all the way to Berlin". Actions fought by PBs also differed considerably from widely accepted "NKVD MG behind you" theory. For instance 8th independent PB, attached to the 3rd Army under Gorbatov, on february19 1944 inflitrated German rerar areas in the vicinity of Rogachev and conducted 5 day raid (offically recognasance in force) disruptimg German suply lines. Needless to say that there was no blocking detachemnet supervisng that. Btw there was even Penal Fighter regiment (under Soviet ace Fedorov they flew La-5 and gave rather good account of themselves).
Old 09 Sep 04, 03:52
Sergeant
Russia

P.s...

One of my favorite WW II movies, which for whatever reason, is not all well too known even in CSI is Otriad, which I guess is “the troop” in English. Prisoner of the mountains is another good movie although it is probably more anti-war than war movie.
Old 09 Sep 04, 04:54
General
Russia

Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100] Andrey has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Grigoryev
One of my favorite WW II movies, which for whatever reason, is not all well too known even in CSI is Otriad, which I guess is “the troop” in English..
It is #29 in my list in first page.

Quote:
Prisoner of the mountains is another good movie although it is probably more anti-war than war movie.
Do you mean "Kavkazskiy plennik"?
Sponsored Links

Old 09 Sep 04, 10:29
Sergeant
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey
It is #29 in my list in first page.

Do you mean "Kavkazskiy plennik"?
Old 09 Sep 04, 10:44
General
Russia

Quote:
What is it?
Old 09 Sep 04, 12:49
Sergeant
Russia

Quote:
What is it?
why, it is a movie poster Seriously though I believe that indeed the Russian name of this flick is a Kavkazskiy Plennik, movie is loosely based on Tolstoy novel. Two major characters paled by duo of Menshikov and Bodrov.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 10 Sep 04, 01:59
General
Russia

Quote:
why, it is a movie poster Seriously though I believe that indeed the Russian name of this flick is a Kavkazskiy Plennik, movie is loosely based on Tolstoy novel. Two major characters paled by duo of Menshikov and Bodrov.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Yes, it is him.

But...

1. I do not recall sich picture in movie.

2. You had to use Russian name of this movie also.
Old 10 Sep 04, 02:08
Sergeant
Russia

Quote:
Yes, it is him.

But...

1. I do not recall sich picture in movie.

2. You had to use Russian name of this movie also.
I was under impression that the initial idea behind the thread was to enlighten our esteemed western audience on the matter of Russian war movies. If somebody from the US audience would want to see it , it would be far easier for then to locate the movie by the English title.
Old 15 Sep 04, 14:29
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunikov
For those interested in a "Band Of Brothers" type series you would like "ShtrafBat" "Penal Battalion" which follows a battalion of GULAG prisoners and other regular soldiers and officers who had been sent to the battalion throughout a few years of the war. It isn't from the beginning to end of the war, but nonetheless an absolutely EXCELLENT and AMAZINGlY well done movie. It just came out a few weeks ago and is 5 DVD's long, each DVD has 2 parts on it the last contains 3, 11 in all. In NY it costs 55 dollars for the set, VHS is 45 dollars.
Is this dubbed to English or does it have subtitles?

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 16 Sep 04, 01:47
General
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams
Is this dubbed to English or does it have subtitles?
I am not sure that it is good movie so I do not advice you to spend money right now, buy better other, more old movies...
Old 19 Sep 04, 19:44
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Trigger Happy is on the path to success [1-99] Trigger Happy is on the path to success [1-99]
Hi Andrey!

Do you know where I can find those movies? (the first 10)

By now, I found 7."Come and See", 10."At Dawns It's Quiet Here..."

I look particularly for the russian long version of 8."Osvobozhdeniye",
as well as 1."Oni srazhalis za rodinu", 3."Goryachij sneg", 5."Batalyony prosyat ognya" ?

I knew of a website that sold it, but no longer remember the URL...

anyway, thx a lot
Old 20 Sep 04, 02:02
General
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Happy
Hi Andrey!

Do you know where I can find those movies? (the first 10)

By now, I found 7."Come and See", 10."At Dawns It's Quiet Here..."

I look particularly for the russian long version of 8."Osvobozhdeniye",
as well as 1."Oni srazhalis za rodinu", 3."Goryachij sneg", 5."Batalyony prosyat ognya" ?

I knew of a website that sold it, but no longer remember the URL...

anyway, thx a lot
Look some first pages, I gave link for EVERY movie and also some sources were shown some later.

For example, here is US Internet-shop which provide delivery of movie in US territory for 24 hours after payment.

http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cf...E5%ED%ED%FB%E5
Old 20 Sep 04, 06:22
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Trigger Happy is on the path to success [1-99] Trigger Happy is on the path to success [1-99]
Thx Andrey

OK so I've found a site where they sell Освобождение (8."Osvobozhdeniye") for 40 USD for 5 videocassettes.
http://www.russianbuy.com/product_in..._102&item=2189

the others are available in vhs format through the russianbeat site:

1.Они сражались за Родину
http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cf...IDCLICKED=1413
2.Живые и мертвые
http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cf...EIDCLICKED=393
3.Горячий снег
http://www.russianbeat.com/v_tree.cf...IDCLICKED=1103

4.Батальоны просят огня
http://www.russianbuy.com/product_info.php?item=2294

Also, my pal at gorbushka-canada (www.alldvd.ca) has sent me an e-mail :

*Oni srazhalis za rodinu (1975)*
WAS NOT RELEASED ON DVD YET (date of future release uknown)

*Zhivye i myortvye (1963)*
AVAILABLE IN TORONTO (SHIP in 24 HOURS)

*Goryachij sneg (1972)*

*Na vojne, kak na vojne (1968)*

*"Batalyony prosyat ognya" (1985) (mini)*
WAS NOT RELEASED ON DVD YET (will be released in 2005)

*Dom, v kotorom ya zhivu (1957)*

*Idi i smotri (1985)*
AVAILABLE IN MOSCOW (SHIP within 7 DAYS)

*"Osvobozhdeniye" (1970) (mini)*

*Ofitsery (1971)*

*A zori zdes tikhiye (1972)*

So that's it for the dvd versions.

BTW I highly recommend this shop for anyone in North America looking for russian dvds. Fast shipping, excellent prices!

Last edited by Trigger Happy; 20 Sep 04 at 06:44..
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!