StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Weider History Group Welcomes You! > Armchair General Magazine

Notices and Announcements

Armchair General Magazine Magazine articles, writers, future issues, and special web-only projects here!

Old 26 Jul 04, 23:49
ACG Commanding Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500] Siberian HEAT is a jewel in the rough [500]
Sept 2004 - Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior

For those checking in from the magazine, we have this thread dedicated to the article found on page 46*. We welcome your comments on this issue's Battlefield Leader, Hal. G. Moore, detailing the life of the famous soldier who led his men at the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam.

*"Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior"-- by Brian M. Sobel
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 31 Jul 04, 12:13
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400] BarcelonaBlom has a spectacular aura about [400]
That man is amazing... he is just like Maj. Winters... Very Modest and Very Personal to say (friendly I guess you could say) not the calous hard-a** war hero that you always see... both of them are tangible heroes to people.

I like his thoughts on one of the beginning pages about general hints about leadership.. those were good.

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte
Old 09 Aug 04, 02:31
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99] Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99]
I liked his deals on how to be a good leader. One of my favorites was his deal on why he studied history. Especially history of conflicts that he was gonna be operating in
Old 16 Aug 04, 12:24
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Moore has proven to be a great leader of men both during and after his military service. Possibly his best quality was his desire for the world to know just how much his men had sacrificed.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 20 Aug 04, 00:34
General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
I found Moore to be a role model as far as leadership goes. He supports discipline but fair and just.

Myself being in a leadership position at work, I actually enjoyed his bio very much and will impliment some of his qualities.

By far the best article so far.

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!
Old 20 Aug 04, 13:13
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

hogdriver is on the path to success [1-99]
Re: Sept 2004 - Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian King
For those checking in from the magazine, we have this thread dedicated to the article found on page 46*. We welcome your comments on this issue's Battlefield Leader, Hal. G. Moore, detailing the life of the famous soldier who led his men at the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam.

*"Hal G. Moore: The Legacy and Lessons of an American Warrior"-- by Brian M. Sobel
Learned alot in this article - very interesting and well written. Quite a figure, General Moore was/is.
Old 22 Aug 04, 11:49
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99] Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99]
This is truly a good issue Brian. Thanks for bringing the man alive in a more personal light. He is truly a man's man. I am making him an honorary Texan.
Old 22 Aug 04, 23:46
Lance Corporal
United_States

MortarFO is on the path to success [1-99]
Hal Moore was my commander for two years and has been a presence in my life ever since.

He assumed command of the 2/23 Inf at Ft Benning in the Spring of 64. All of the old soldiers knew we had someone special. My earlier battalion commanders had always been distant authoritative figures. Pictures on the chain-of-command board. But Lt Col Hal Moore was someone I saw on an almost daily basis. He was at the Mortar Square observing gunnery training, in the mess hall checking on food, at revelle every mornig and retreat every evening. He was never familiar. He was always the battalion commander. But he was not a stranger and over time we placed great confidence in him. When we left for Viet Nam he had the mark of every man in the battalion. And we had no doubts about him.

Hal expected the best from you. And no matter how hard you tried he could convince you that you could have done better. If I had returned from patrol with Uncle Ho's head on a pike he would have said "Mighty fine, Sgt Hansen, mighty fine indeed. But I guess that guy Giap got away." and I would have saddled up and gone after that guy. Because Hal Moore was a man no one wanted to disapoint.

I see Hal at least once a year now. He went on to be a three star general but to us he is "the Colonel." When we gather we form the old battalion. Hal Moore colomands, CSM Plumbley is still the "Smag" and Col's Nadal, Herren, and Edwards are our captains again. I went on to a field commission and eventually retired from the reserves as a LTC. But in the group I am still Sgt Hansen and I would not have it any other way.
Old 23 Aug 04, 09:00
General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally posted by MortarFO
Hal Moore was my commander for two years and has been a presence in my life ever since.

He assumed command of the 2/23 Inf at Ft Benning in the Spring of 64. All of the old soldiers knew we had someone special. My earlier battalion commanders had always been distant authoritative figures. Pictures on the chain-of-command board. But Lt Col Hal Moore was someone I saw on an almost daily basis. He was at the Mortar Square observing gunnery training, in the mess hall checking on food, at revelle every mornig and retreat every evening. He was never familiar. He was always the battalion commander. But he was not a stranger and over time we placed great confidence in him. When we left for Viet Nam he had the mark of every man in the battalion. And we had no doubts about him.

Hal expected the best from you. And no matter how hard you tried he could convince you that you could have done better. If I had returned from patrol with Uncle Ho's head on a pike he would have said "Mighty fine, Sgt Hansen, mighty fine indeed. But I guess that guy Giap got away." and I would have saddled up and gone after that guy. Because Hal Moore was a man no one wanted to disapoint.

I see Hal at least once a year now. He went on to be a three star general but to us he is "the Colonel." When we gather we form the old battalion. Hal Moore colomands, CSM Plumbley is still the "Smag" and Col's Nadal, Herren, and Edwards are our captains again. I went on to a field commission and eventually retired from the reserves as a LTC. But in the group I am still Sgt Hansen and I would not have it any other way.
Tks Sgt Hansen.

Old 26 Aug 04, 10:52
Recruit
United_States

dpfeil is on the path to success [1-99]
In a strange twist of events, I forwarded Gen. Moore's Battlefield Leadership comments to my boss. It turns out my boss was Gen. Moore's aide when both were at Fort Ord. To quote my boss - "Gen Moore was and is a stud."
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Aug 04, 15:03
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally posted by dpfeil
In a strange twist of events, I forwarded Gen. Moore's Battlefield Leadership comments to my boss. It turns out my boss was Gen. Moore's aide when both were at Fort Ord. To quote my boss - "Gen Moore was and is a stud."
dpfeil,

Welcome to the forums.............sometimes it is a very small world.

Old 27 Aug 04, 19:20
Banned
United_States

Russell L. Ross is a balanced individual [0]
Comments
Well you see I was there

This is 13 years research sorry to hit you with

in the movie the only thing true is Moore being the first one on X-Ray and the Bugle being picked up at X-Ray and no he was not the last to leave X-Ray he left on the 3rd lift out and came back. the rest is Fiction as was the story X-Ray part.

Moore didnt see Galloway save Nakayama

anytime Moore and Galloway want to back up their story in a court of law let me know.

Mr. JOSEPH L. GALLOWAY HAD NO MILITARY SERVICE, Training AT ALL.

Who am I? lzalbany65@aol.com Russell L. Ross Edited by B.K. to remove personal mailing address and phone number. I don't feel comfortable having your personal info on the web, and you shouldn't either. That is very dangerous.

Sept 1965-66 SP/4 Russell L. Ross RA17630469 D company 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry Recon Platoon ( LoneRanger call sign ) 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile An Khe Vietnam.

1964 B company 1st Battalion 511 Infantry ( Airborne ) 11 Air Assualt ( test ) FT. Benning, Georgia.

1965 B company 1/511 became B company 2nd Battalion 8th Cavalry ( Airborne ) 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile FT. Benning, Georgia.

And in July 1965 I was sent to the 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile.
Old 27 Aug 04, 20:57
United_States

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell L. Ross
Comments
Well you see I was there

in the movie the only thing true is Moore being the first one on X-Ray and the Bugle being picked up at X-Ray and no he was not the last to leave X-Ray he left on the 3rd lift out and came back. the rest is Fiction as was the story X-Ray part.

anytime Moore and Galloway want to back up their story in a court of law let me know.

Who am I? lzalbany65@aol.com Russell L. Ross Edited by B.K. to remove personal mailing address and phone number. I don't feel comfortable having your personal info on the web, and you shouldn't either. That is very dangerous.

Sept 1965-66 SP/4 Russell L. Ross RA17630469 D company 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry Recon Platoon ( LoneRanger call sign ) 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile An Khe Vietnam.

1964 B company 1st Battalion 511 Infantry ( Airborne ) 11 Air Assualt ( test ) FT. Benning, Georgia.

1965 B company 1/511 became B company 2nd Battalion 8th Cavalry ( Airborne ) 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile FT. Benning, Georgia.

And in July 1965 I was sent to the 2nd Battalion 7th Cavalry 1st Cavalry Division Airmobile.
First of all welcome to the forums.

I don't think anyone said the movie was a docu-drama, it is admittedly a work of Hollywood, with some fictionalized parts. Would you disagree that it depicted the "feel"of what happened better than anything else to cover the era from Hollywood? That was its intent.

Old 28 Aug 04, 01:03
Lance Corporal
United_States

MortarFO is on the path to success [1-99]
Russell L. Ross is a long standing critic of Hal Moore and Joe Galloway. The "We Were Soldiers" web site, sponsored by Randall Wallace, had an active forum and Mr Ross was a frequent contributor. I, for one, stopped responding to his posts there and this is the last time I will respond to one of his here.
Old 28 Aug 04, 02:14
General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell L. Ross
Comments
Well you see I was there

I've read the book, seen the movie, read the article in ACG and you would have us believe that all of it is false? I've even read your website and can't find a shred of evidence of your assumptions. You are making some serious allegations against both Hal Moore and Joe Galloway, but you offer no proof.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!