HistoryNet.com RSS
ArmchairGeneral.com RSS

HistoryNet.com Articles
America's Civil War
American History
Aviation History
Civil War Times
MHQ
Military History
Vietnam
Wild West
World War II

ACG Online
ACG Magazine
Stuff We Like
War College
History News
Tactics 101
Carlo D'Este
Books

ACG Gaming
Boardgames
PC Game Reviews

ACG Network
Contact Us
Our Newsletter
Meet Our Staff
Advertise With Us

Sites We Support
HistoryNet.com
StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare > Military Medicine

Notices and Announcements

Military Medicine Discuss aspects of this specialist field not covered in other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03 May 14, 07:36
Carl Schwamberg's Avatar
Carl Schwamberg Carl Schwamberg is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,425
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
PSTD ....

Another issue I've seen in the current generation of suicides is a lack of moral grounding. These people are trying to deal with terrible life issues with no belief system with which to sustain themselves. This ties in with a 'me centric' attitude. With no developed world view they have great difficulty in coming to terms with what they have seen and done.

....
Back in the 1980s the USMC started experimenting with teaching 'morality' in recruit training. That became a 'core values' thing. I've been to far out of contact with that sort of thing to recall details of degree of sucess
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03 May 14, 11:03
lcm1's Avatar
lcm1 lcm1 is offline
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth
Posts: 14,713
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
Back in the 1980s the USMC started experimenting with teaching 'morality' in recruit training. That became a 'core values' thing. I've been to far out of contact with that sort of thing to recall details of degree of sucess
Now back in my time most children were bought up with 'core values' and it was there installed in us for later life.It was something that is often neglected in more recent times I'm afraid. lcm 1
__________________
'By Horse by Tram'.


I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09 May 14, 21:20
Carl Schwamberg's Avatar
Carl Schwamberg Carl Schwamberg is offline
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 10,425
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
Now back in my time most children were bought up with 'core values' and it was there installed in us for later life.It was something that is often neglected in more recent times I'm afraid. lcm 1
Me too, tho what the core values were varied from one family to another. ie: Do dont steal from your cousins & other kin, but the rest in the school yard are fair game for their lunch money.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09 May 14, 23:13
lcm1's Avatar
lcm1 lcm1 is offline
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Perth
Posts: 14,713
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
Me too, tho what the core values were varied from one family to another. ie: Do dont steal from your cousins & other kin, but the rest in the school yard are fair game for their lunch money.
lcm1
__________________
'By Horse by Tram'.


I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 17 May 14, 21:58
mimike's Avatar
mimike mimike is offline
First Lieutenant
United_States
 
Real Name: Mike Staggs
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Larue
Posts: 615
mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacCovert4 View Post
Could it be that the Female Psyche's makeup is a factor? Women have lots of pyschological perks that men don't, like nurturing instincts for instance. OTOH, men have had quite literally an animal level of combat instincts bored into most of us....considering the history of the human race and how every single one of our cultures used to be very violent....principally male violence. So maybe men, on the whole, have some natural resistance to the sort of psychological shock that comes from military actions and military life....while women do not have that sort of multigenerational built-in resistance.

One might also note that women make up an extremely small part of Law Enforcement, a lower-key but still violent profession.....and IIRC women tend to have a higher turn-over rate, even though they're heavily in demand and some agencies practically coddle them.

I remember reading a study some years back, don't remember who had done it. But two key points of the study were that men, psychologically, make better infantry than women. Because men, on average, do not sustain the psychological trauma that women do in the direct and personal taking of human lives. OTOH, women had no such trouble in the same situations as fighter pilots, because they had no psychological issues with destroying distant targets or targets that were objects, even though people were in said objects. The study noted that it was something about the physical killing of another human when you're aware that you're killing another human on an animal rather than an intellectual level.
---
Overall I find little to disagree with in your post.

But as to your female “…nurturing instincts…”, my wife (who I married while she was in the service) and the mother of my sons decided (about midway through my career) that she no longer wanted to be a mother and “Army Wife” and left. I raised my boys without a woman’s help while on AD and moving several times (including one overseas assignment). I will tell you that, at least in the Army, the service made many more concessions to female sole parents than they did for males, and even less for Sr. NCO’s!

Check out how many mothers have abused, abandoned and/or killed their own kids, you may be surprised.

I once read that as far back as the 50’s or 60’s the AF had done studies about women as combat pilots and concluded as you stated. I also read that they kept the studies under wraps for some time.

I was in Military Intel. and served with many women, and had female commanders. I was also a First Sergeant of a mixed company and my troops shared a co-ed barracks (the women had their own floor). My experience was that women, for the most part, made fine soldiers. Of course their were exceptions and problems (going to the field was always an exciting time) but less than I expected and less than with male soldiers.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 18 May 14, 11:23
queensman's Avatar
queensman queensman is offline
Major
UK
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dunstable
Posts: 1,078
queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100] queensman has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimike View Post
---

Overall I find little to disagree with in your post.



But as to your female “…nurturing instincts…”, my wife (who I married while she was in the service) and the mother of my sons decided (about midway through my career) that she no longer wanted to be a mother and “Army Wife” and left. I raised my boys without a woman’s help while on AD and moving several times (including one overseas assignment). I will tell you that, at least in the Army, the service made many more concessions to female sole parents than they did for males, and even less for Sr. NCO’s!



Check out how many mothers have abused, abandoned and/or killed their own kids, you may be surprised.



I once read that as far back as the 50’s or 60’s the AF had done studies about women as combat pilots and concluded as you stated. I also read that they kept the studies under wraps for some time.



I was in Military Intel. and served with many women, and had female commanders. I was also a First Sergeant of a mixed company and my troops shared a co-ed barracks (the women had their own floor). My experience was that women, for the most part, made fine soldiers. Of course their were exceptions and problems (going to the field was always an exciting time) but less than I expected and less than with male soldiers.

It must of been very hard raising your dons alone and being moved around a lot , it's difficult enough as a complete family let alone doing it yourself.
Many would of left the service, you stayed and soldiered on . You should be proud of yourself
Reply With Quote
Reply

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!


Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.