StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Maps and Topography

Notices and Announcements

Maps and Topography Information and links to maps and map resources.

Old 07 Feb 14, 04:02
Private
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Mompariglia has disabled reputation
map making for wargames

Hi, can anyone suggest some source like books, websites etc. with advices on designing good maps for wargames? I'm not talking about the software to create a map, I'm talking about how to create a challenging good map for players.

Basically I need some advice on where to place different terrain types that create physical contraints to the movements of troops e.g. how many mountains or forests should I place? where should I place the landing beaches? should my rivers have a lot of bridges?

All of this both from a strategic and operational point of view (although I think from a strategic point of view the thing that matters most is the distribution of wealth among the players, the long-term purchasing power of new units).

I know this is more an art than a science, but if you have any advice is welcome.
Thanks
M
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 09 Feb 14, 08:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600] SRV Ron is simply cracking [600]
Fictional? Real world battle scenarios? How large a campaign? How long for the campaign? Board game, or computer simulation? Modern world, future warfare, or old world? Brush wars or major conflict?

Depending on the map size, you would want to place several locations suitable for say beach landings. There should also be good routes for moving troops to the objectives. In addition, choke points and places where ambushes can be set up should be included. That could be water and swamp obstacles - restricts movement of all forces, heavy woods - forces invading forces to leave behind heavy equipment while providing cover for ambushes, urban areas - civilians in the way as well as numerous places to ambush, mountainous areas to block unit movements, etc...

With several locations for landing and moving forces, this makes the job of the defender to depend on the intelligence to locate where an invasion does take place so his forces can be set up for defense and counter attacking. It allows the attacker to plan routes for invasion and attack dependent on his intelligence of where the defending forces are expected to be located.

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”
Old 09 Feb 14, 12:54
Private
EU

It's for a computer game, definitely mondern/future world. My main interest in this moment are fictional maps but I think that even in real world scenario the map maker has a degree of freedom to make the map more interesting.
Choke points! I had exactly those in mind but I could not properly define them. I think that a good scenario must have some of them, while also have good routes as you wrote.
My problem is how to balance all those requirements. That's why I was looking for some example.
Old 09 Feb 14, 13:31
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
If you are patient and a bit artistic, this software can make just about anything:

http://www.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp

In its forums are a lot of skilled people who probably would work for a commission.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 10 Feb 14, 11:57
Private
EU

I know it, but in the end I opted for world builder, it has more realistic output.
Anyway the software is not an issue, it's really the art of making a map which I miss. Anyway I'll keep looking around.
Old 22 Feb 14, 00:12
Private
Australia

e_i_pi is a balanced individual [0]
Have you tried the website Cartographer's Guild? That's where I go when I want to hire someone to make a map for me.
Old 22 Feb 14, 03:55
Private
EU

Interesting site, I'll post the question there thanks.
Old 22 Feb 14, 15:33
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Model Forum Group Build Victor Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Freightshaker has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The mobility of your units is the big question. Terrain is only as inhibiting as the units allow it to be.
Old 22 Feb 14, 16:38
Private
EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
The mobility of your units is the big question. Terrain is only as inhibiting as the units allow it to be.
Sure, but I was thinking about creating a game with mixed units and many specialties, e.g. in the same scenario you could have alpine troops and marines, they clearly would have no penalties in mountains and in beaches respectively.
Consider that I'm in the early stages of this project, I feel I'll need some decent maps to test how the engine works in all the possible scenarios.
I think that either a cluttered map (fully loaded with every sort of obstacle) and a poor map (with broad areas of well defined terrain types) would distort my judgement and my ideas in the development and fine tuning phases, I definitely need a good inspiration.
Old 24 Feb 14, 13:03
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Model Forum Group Build Victor - Ace) Model Forum Group Build (Multiple - Ace) 

razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400]
razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400] razorboy has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
If you are patient and a bit artistic, this software can make just about anything:

In its forums are a lot of skilled people who probably would work for a commission.
Great site! Thanks!

“The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom." - George S. Patton
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Mar 14, 04:27
Lieutenant General
Australia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400] Khryses has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Agreed; this is the software Legatus Augusti, TacCovert4 and I have used in the past for our forum games although I would hesitate to claim anything like the experience of expertise shown by the artists on that forum!

EDIT: Re-read the OP; in an ideal world, most regions or pieces of ground have a certain integral value that makes them desirable... perhaps this bit of ground gives raw materials while this area down the road helps to refine them and make them more valuable (depends how you're tracking this, doesn't have to have a direct impact on the game - victory or prestige points?) - but holding them both opens up the area to a wide array of threats. So then you have this choke point over there which if taken, will control that side of the player's position and stop any sizable leakage (like a river crossing).

Except that's under the shadow of a hill over there, so then there's a reason to seize the hill to secure your previous position and the whole dance begins again.

Try to avoid giving 'perfect' positions; if it's valuable economically make sure it isn't too valuable militarily, and if you want a fluid game then try to avoid any 'perfect' defence lines; there's always a way to crack the position if you come at it through certain critical locations.

Last edited by Khryses; 12 Mar 14 at 04:37..
Old 04 Feb 15, 16:26
Private
United_States

worldwarhistory is a balanced individual [0]
I'll second the cartographer's guild recommendation.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!