StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 02 Feb 14, 09:56
Lance Corporal
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

stubblehopper is on the path to success [1-99] stubblehopper is on the path to success [1-99]
Period uniform patterns

I thought I'd start this thread away as a resource for period uniform patterns and equipment as they are often difficult to find. so, here's the first one. This is a 42nd Highlander's or Black watch tunic from around 1812 for some strange reason its held at the Borodino Battlefield museum and the pattern (below) is based on it. I've made a number of tunics in the past and I find that the best quality wool for these reproductions is bought from Hainsworths,https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...n2SGXabGAC2b-A they still supply the British army with wool material for all the redcoats you see at Horse Guards parade and so on, bandsman redcoats, household cavalry etc. If people want to add to the thread we should have a decent database built up in no time.

Last edited by stubblehopper; 02 Feb 14 at 15:20..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 02 Feb 14, 10:05
Lance Corporal
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

stubblehopper is on the path to success [1-99] stubblehopper is on the path to success [1-99]
Here's another one for you this time a French Gillet again around 1812 from the Bardin regulations I think, a kind of stable jacket used by both cavalry and infantry in variying colours, again pattern at bottom.

Old 02 Feb 14, 10:22
Lance Corporal
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Here's the last one from me for a while, the habit-Veste of 1812

Old 02 Feb 14, 12:24
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Welcome to the forums Stubblehopper. What is your interest in these patterns? Are you involved with reenactment?
Old 02 Feb 14, 14:10
Lance Corporal
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Yes I am Compans thanks for the welcome, I'm in the process of gearing up for Waterloo in 2015. Here's a shirt pattern, just been making a couple of these. This is a regency shirt that is in the National Maritime Museum, a variation on the pattern below it.

Old 02 Feb 14, 14:24
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100] Compans has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I used to do Napoleonic reenactment way back in the 70s. I always loved that round shouldered look to the original tunics - the sleeve extends to mid shoulder. Very different to later Victorian styles.
Old 02 Feb 14, 15:17
Lance Corporal
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Yup the clothing from that period is very different from today's, I'm about to make some buckskin breeches shortly, or at least breeches, whether Chamois or suede, I'm not sure, but here's a little research, again with a pattern at the end.

Old 08 Feb 14, 04:09
Lance Corporal
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Attached some nice photographs of two French infantry uniforms pre 1812 habit-veste for both a private and officer, with a nice detailed shot of the stitching on an officer's habit-veste, as ever with the relevant pattern at the end. The quality of needle work on officers items is always superior to that of the rank and file, as they were tailor made items often self purchased. Whereas the private soldier, at least in the French army, whereever a battalion was formed, sealed patterns were distributed to local towns people and surrounding villages and the items were made up by local cottage industries with varying quality of craftsmanship often quite poor. Heinrich von Brandt' book, "in the legions of Napoleon" describes just such an example, whereby he was ordered to assemble a battalion new recruits for the Vistula Legion just before the invasion of Russia in 1812, he comments on the uniform items coming in to the new battalion in dribs and drabs.

Old 10 Feb 14, 11:50
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Thanks Stubblehopper. Keep 'em coming.
Old 16 Feb 14, 05:47
Lance Corporal
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Thanks Compans, Napoleon's retreat from Moscow has always fascinated me ever sice I read the memoire's of Sgt Bourgoine and having been a grunt myself, I often wondered what the average Johnny Frenchman/German grunt would have looked like, so here we go with a pattern of the French infantry soldier's greatcoat.

I suppose they must have looked something similar to this, which is a mannequine that has been left out in clod weather to test the materials under such circumstances as the 1812 retreat.

Here's a clearer view

A surviving example, this one I think is the British pattern infantryman's greatcoat.

A period print from the time

A sketch

And as ever a pattern for making the thing. We'll be taking a look at British officer redcoats next time I have a little time for this, probably in a week or so.

Last edited by stubblehopper; 16 Feb 14 at 10:38..
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Feb 14, 10:10
Lance Corporal
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon 

While I'm on with this regarding the retreat from Moscow and greatcoats and such, here's one for the cavalry a cavalryman's cloak.

Here's a surviving item, I think this one is in the musee d l'armee, anyway its a cavalry cloak from around 1812 as would have been worn by dragoons, cuirassiers, lancers, no doubt other cavalry as well.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!