StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 23 Jan 14, 04:55
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
Vietnam Memorial at Sargents Mesa, CO

New to me:

http://www.military.com/video/operat...V7S9H55m.gmail

http://tinyurl.com/laphxap

Translations?

http://neighbors.denverpost.com/albu...p?pic_id=17636

http://tinyurl.com/kfqw6pg

The memorial is off the trail, on Sargents Mesa, maybe 6-7 miles, as the crow flies, south of the town of Sargents, CO, which is east of Gunnison, along Highway 50. Closest town marked is Chester. Take Milk Crk (a partial dirt road), about 6-7 miles south out of Chester to the mesa.
(Mapquest says. Get a second opinion before your trip.)
Anyone been there?

Last edited by Jeffy; 23 Jan 14 at 05:03..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 23 Jan 14, 06:23
Banned
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I've been through the community, wasn't much there then. First that I have heard of this memorial.to who ever but it there.
Old 23 Jan 14, 06:35
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99] Jeffy is on the path to success [1-99]
Here's the grid, supposedly. Apparently Milk Crk Rd is now Colorado Trail/Great Divide.

http://tinyurl.com/k35asy9

Last edited by Jeffy; 23 Jan 14 at 06:49..
Old 24 Jan 14, 03:54
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Translation, please.

The only inscription in Vietnamese with no diacritics:

"Ai bao Troi khong co mat?" "(Vietnamese Proverb)"

Several other Vietnamese inscriptions are shown in the video, for anyone willing to translate--along with some Lao, Thai, Khmer, Chinese, Sanskrit, I believe. TIA

http://tinyurl.com/laphxap

(I got the English, French, Old English, and the Thai buddhist verse.)
Old 16 Sep 14, 20:43
Recruit
United_States

Uilleam is a balanced individual [0]
To answer your question on the translation Jeffy, it means, "Who told you that "God" doesn't have eyes?"

The monument was built by Lieutenant Colonel Stuart Allen Beckley, over 20 years ago. The Col. served in Vietnam from 62 - 73 (unconfirmed).

It's about 4.5 hours from Denver. Deeply moving place and secreted away unless you know how to get there. I've been there and will be going again.

Because I'm new to the forum, I can't post the link but you can go to Denver's 9 News and search "Soldierstone".

Uilleam
CIV - Intel Cambodia
12/74 - 12/75 (yes, the dates are correct)
Old 22 Sep 14, 01:29
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada

ole timer is on the path to success [1-99] ole timer is on the path to success [1-99] ole timer is on the path to success [1-99]
war memorials....yep there should be more of them
Old 22 Sep 14, 06:07
Banned
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
http://www.abmc.gov/sites/default/fi..._Overview.JPG?

We have to many.
Old 18 Oct 14, 11:51
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uilleam View Post
To answer your question on the translation Jeffy, it means, "Who told you that "God" doesn't have eyes?"

The monument was built by Lieutenant Colonel Stuart Allen Beckley, over 20 years ago. The Col. served in Vietnam from 62 - 73 (unconfirmed).

It's about 4.5 hours from Denver. Deeply moving place and secreted away unless you know how to get there. I've been there and will be going again.

Because I'm new to the forum, I can't post the link but you can go to Denver's 9 News and search "Soldierstone".

Uilleam
CIV - Intel Cambodia
12/74 - 12/75 (yes, the dates are correct)
re
"The monument was built by Lieutenant Colonel Stuart Allen Beckley"

Thanks for that. Definitely little-known insider info last time I looked.

Re translations: Have you translated some of the other inscriptions on the stones?
We were working on the translations elsewhere. We determined that the tall monument bore identical sayings on each facet, expressed in different languages.
We never got the individual stones, multiple languages, translated. (The sanskrit on some of the stones was a bit of a surprise.)

Here are some notes from a third party who was helping with the ones in Vietnamese. (I'm not sure I have them correlated right. Best to see the vid or the stones themselves for the originals:

" Nếu khóc than mà tôi có thể biến đổi tiến tŕnh của sự việc th́ ḍng lệ của tôi sẽ đổ xuống không ngừng đến ngàn thu"
"If by weeping I could change the course of events,
My tears would pour down ceaselessly
for a thousand autumns."

An alternative for
Ai bao Troi khong co mat? (Who told heaven not to see?)
* " Ai bảo trời không có mắt? " (Vietnamese proverb) : literally means : " Who says God has no eyes?" , usually said when something happens as a consequence of an action/deed, you reap what you sow.

* " Khi mơ ước sẽ không thành hiện thực
Sẽ trở thành viên đá tảng ĺ trơ
Để óc tim ta nặng trĩu không ngờ

Ta hất xuống nhưng thường không đủ lực"

"Flowers from Hell"
"When hopes cannot be realized/ they become like a rock that weighs so heavily on our minds and heart/that we haven't the strength to bat it away."

Poem by Nguyen Chi Thien from " Flowers from Hell"
I have to confess that I am unable to translate this poem as it is so poetic, literally translate the poem would not make much sense.
However if you go to google and just type Nguyen Chi Thien or Flowers from Hell, you will find lots of info of this poet.

"During the roughly fifteen years spent as a political prisoner in Vietnamese labor camps from 1960 to 1977, Nguyen Chi Thien composed hundreds of poems. Released following the fall of Saigon, Thien delivered a manuscript of these poems to the British Embassy in Hanoi. He was arrested at the gate and taken to Hoa Lo - the well known Hanoi Hilton Prison, where he spent six of an additional twelve years of imprisonment, often in solitary confinement. During this time, his collection of vivid poems, known as Hoa Dia-Nguc began to circulate in two Vietnamese editions, and eventually overseas. Some of the poems were set to music and popularized by Vietnamese folksinger, Pham Duy. In 1984, a bilingual edition of the poems, translated into English by Vietnamese literature scholar Huynh Sanh Thong, was published under the title Flowers from Hell by the Council on Southeast Asia Studies at Yale University. In 1985, while it was still unknown if he were alive or dead, Thien was awarded the International Poetry Prize in Rotterdam in absentia on the basis of this book. He was released from prison in 1991 and lived in Hanoi until 1995 when he emigrated to the United States. He became a U.S. citizen in 2004."

re
How to get there.

May not be a problem. Grid and detailed directions are available. A couple of commentators suggested that maybe the builder didn't want it to become a tourist attraction with all the trappings--hence its remoteness.

Thanks for posting on this. Been a while since I looked at it. You're the first I've seen on a VN War website to report visiting it. (So far, I ddin't have any luck searching the Denver 9 for "soldierstone". I think a link will post for anyone.)

Jeff

Last edited by Jeffy; 18 Oct 14 at 12:25..
Old 18 Oct 14, 12:28
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Uilleam

Searching again, I see that Youtube has some updates since I last looked:
This one shows many translations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXKH7K39QUw

but some of the Khkmer/Lao/Montagnard/Jarai, maybe, have not been translated, listed as "unknown language".

Some Joe giving us his take:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUMdC58wKAo

This one is a pretty good example of why it was kept secret, maybe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq40AO-pauw

more here these came from.

Thanks again for the headsup.

Last edited by Jeffy; 18 Oct 14 at 12:41..
Old 18 Oct 14, 13:53
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Denver 9 News link--one photo, otherwise audio only for me, including a couple of combat vets reminiscing. No new info.

http://www.9news.com/longform/news/m...tone/14544461/
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!