StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > Age of Pike and Shot

Notices and Announcements

Age of Pike and Shot 30 Years War, War of Spanish Succession, English Civil War, etc.

Old 19 Jul 04, 08:47
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Lightbulb Admin: Scope of "Pike And Shot" Subforum

What is the scope of this subforum?

Short version: 1450 AD through 1720 AD. primarily based in Europe.

Euro-focused, but not exclusively European, from the fall of Constantinople (1453 AD) through the end of the War of the Spanish Succession (1714 AD). It should be Euro-focused.

Constantinople's fall to the Ottomans in 1453 AD is usually considered the end of the Medieval Era, and I have arbitrarily drawn a line between the War of the Spanish Succession and later wars -- I have also rounded the dates -- as you may -- to make the math easy.

JS

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/

Last edited by Admiral; 21 Nov 06 at 19:30..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 29 Nov 04, 03:10
Lieutenant General
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos

Short version: beginning of time from 1450 AD through 1720 AD. primarily based in Europe.

Euro-focused, but not exclusively European, from the fall of Constantinople (1453 AD) through the end of the War of the Spanish Succession (1714 AD). It should be Euro-focused.

Constantinople's fall to the Ottomans in 1453 AD is usually considered the end of the Medieval Era, and I have arbitrarily drawn a line between the War of the Spanish Succession and later wars -- I have also rounded the dates -- as you may -- to make the math easy.

JS
I think you are on good lines there, the main century of the pike and musket was ofcourse from 1600 to the early 1700.
Yes?
But embryonic pike war can be seen even at agincourt, every man behind his stake that was a thick pike in effect, and instead of the musket or Arbequeiser, they had longbows...

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill
Old 29 Nov 04, 04:42
General of the Forums
Hungary

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17poundr
I think you are on good lines there, the main century of the pike and musket was ofcourse from 1600 to the early 1700.
Yes?
But embryonic pike war can be seen even at agincourt, every man behind his stake that was a thick pike in effect, and instead of the musket or Arbequeiser, they had longbows...
Roger, I understand, but only had a few places in which to put all of history.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 30 Nov 04, 03:00
Lieutenant General
Finland

17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100] 17poundr has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Roger, I understand, but only had a few places in which to put all of history.
Well, we could have just, modern stuff, ww2, ww1 and all that old crud as our forums!

Funnily enough the falances of the ancient greeks and macedonians, were very similar to the pike formations, I belie that the Macedonian pike was a similar length than the 1600 pike!

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill
Old 30 Nov 04, 04:32
General of the Forums
Hungary

Quote:
Well, we could have just, modern stuff, ww2, ww1 and all that old crud as our forums!

Funnily enough the falances of the ancient greeks and macedonians, were very similar to the pike formations, I belie that the Macedonian pike was a similar length than the 1600 pike!
I think you're right on the pike length, but it makes sense -- there is a physical limit to how long a pike you can carry and use effectively, and you want to go as long as you can to allow more ranks to stick there pointy ends towards the enemy.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 01 Dec 04, 19:36
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:

Don't forget the Scotish schiltrons (sp?) of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.........

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 01 Dec 04, 20:40
Lieutenant General
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Williams
Don't forget the Scotish schiltrons (sp?) of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.........
ACTUALLY THE TACTIC TO DEFEAT A HEAVY CAV CHARGE DEPICTED IN BRAVEHEART (THE HISTORY DISTORTER)...
CAME FORM THE SUCCESFULL DEPLOYMENT OF STAKES TO DEFEND A SQUARE OF INFANTY, IN FLANDERS IN 1200 SOMETHIG, AND I BELIVE THE TECHNIQUE WAS CALLED THE BRUGGE SQUARE OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT.
OFCOURSE MEL INVENTS IT IN THE FILM, BUT HE BEAT CORNWALLIS SINGLE HANDED IN THE PATRIOT TOO SO... I WONDER IF HE SOULD BE PARASHUTED SOMEWHERE SOUTH OF BAGHADAD, AND SEE HIS GREAT OPPINONS OF THE EVIL BRITS TAKE OFF WHEN A TECHNICAL STARTS TO CHASE HIM...

Old 18 Jan 05, 16:27
Guest 1

Nothing bad ever happens to Mel Gibson and to speak of such things is heresy (Although I would not mind to see him running from a band of well... anyone and face river over river without bridges as divine justice for the Battle of the Stirling BRIDGE)
Old 19 Jan 05, 10:49
Lieutenant General
Finland

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Koleoglu
Nothing bad ever happens to Mel Gibson and to speak of such things is heresy (Although I would not mind to see him running from a band of well... anyone and face river over river without bridges as divine justice for the Battle of the Stirling BRIDGE)
I think Mel deserves alot of running from somekind of enraged people (Maybe history students)???

His Vietnam film is the only one which is quite correct, because the book he based it on, is all true, and the men who fought and survived are mostly alive.
Still he had to change the ending for no good reason, he just cant help himself, history must be distorted in some way or mel hasnt got his 'fix'...

Old 02 Nov 05, 11:52
ACG Author
United_States

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:

Short version: beginning of time from 1450 AD through 1720 AD. primarily based in Europe.

JS
Where should one go to discuss late Japanese (Samurai) warfare?
Sponsored Links

Old 02 Nov 05, 11:59
Major
UK

Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100] Weeble has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong
Where should one go to discuss late Japanese (Samurai) warfare?
It currently seems to be pigeon-holed in "Ancient Era", though the 'sticky' definition of "The Colonial era and Asia" would put it there.

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest
Old 02 Nov 05, 12:38
ACG Author
United_States

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeble
It currently seems to be pigeon-holed in "Ancient Era", though the 'sticky' definition of "The Colonial era and Asia" would put it there.
Thanks, must have missed it. Their "sticky" guidance was not later than 450 AD. And Middle Ages wants to be Europe only. Both of which eliminate early Samurai. I was looking to see if there was discussion about the Japanese step back from the use of firearms for about 100 years.
Old 02 Nov 05, 13:55
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thanx Weeble!

I must get through the "Ages" & see where any improvements might be made to better organize them. There is much left out in the atrium that I would like to move into a more benificial & relivent "Age". If one is un-sure, it can always be moved later or posted there until I can get some of this done.

Any suggestions are welcome. As I found out not long after the various "Ages" were created, not all is possible, but I think we must do what we can to clarify where possible.

I would appreciate any thoughts on any aspect of WTTA as well.

Hmmm... a suggestion box may be in order...

ACG History Today

BoRG

Last edited by Admiral; 02 Nov 05 at 14:04..
Old 03 Nov 05, 00:50
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
As ********* tried to tell me recently - as set up - little might be changed. Anything here regarding Samurai would go or be in "The Colonial era and Asia".

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 04 Nov 05, 23:18
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
Thanx Weeble!

I must get through the "Ages" & see where any improvements might be made to better organize them. There is much left out in the atrium that I would like to move into a more benificial & relivent "Age". If one is un-sure, it can always be moved later or posted there until I can get some of this done.

Any suggestions are welcome. As I found out not long after the various "Ages" were created, not all is possible, but I think we must do what we can to clarify where possible.

I would appreciate any thoughts on any aspect of WTTA as well.

Hmmm... a suggestion box may be in order...

How about a pre 1900 far eastern subforum?

Peace through superior firepower.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!