StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Turn-Based Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Turn-Based Strategy Games For all games that follow a turn-based format.

Old 17 Feb 15, 14:44
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100] Redwolf has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
Jim Rose and Brant Guillory (a.k.a. BayonetBrant) both ran their personal fora into the ground. However, even Rose was never pathetic enough to go around the internet begging for people to visit his site once he had destroyed it. That will always place him a step ahead of the Grogheads (a.k.a. Son of Wargamer) site.

You say that you have the game. We should have a battle. I know you said that you did not want to invest a great deal of time in a potentially failed game system. However, I will say that I am not a very good land combat game player but was able to learn enough to get into this game within about 20 minutes. An experienced player like yourself should probably take even less time. The basic quick start manual is only 20 pages or so of easy reading.

I suggest that you might want to try the game with the current v2.08 instead of waiting for the v2.09 release. I am told that there are some changes in v2.09 that may re-introduce the "Headless Chicken Dances" that were pretty much removed in v2.08. This is the behaviour whereby opposing units try to run away from each other as soon as they detect an enemy unit. I hope that it isn't that bad, but I prepare for the worst and am rarely disappointed.
The latter part reminds me of CM. Some of the retreats in CMx1 were ridiculous, not to mention they were psychic (retreat from a good side shot when the target's TC decided to engage but before the physical vehicle showed a reaction).

I hope you don't under-estimate how bad memory I have If it makes heavy use of random icons it can be very hard for me to learn. I'll have a look Saturday.

There must be a way to un-wedge some of this deep pit that wargaming is in. I don't think we can count on Matrix (which then includes wargamer) or BFC. You would think that available software tools would make a pass at an open source game possible. But my attempts so far uncover a lot of ugliness in the tools, too. They have a lot of hardcoded things in there for other game types.
Old 17 Feb 15, 14:53
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
Gary, Redwolf, if you want to give the game a whirl, there's a don't-call-it-a-demo-but-it's-a-demo you can download and play for free here
http://grogheads.com/?p=3459

It's a full version of the game, with only 1 scenario in the installer. It was the one we used for a contest last year over at GH. If you like the game, you should be able to upgrade from within the downloaded version of the game.

If you've got questions, the devs are very active at Matrix (as you'd expect) and GrogHeads, where they seem to hang out just for fun. They're more than happy to answer questions for you in as much detail as you want.
I'm going to give it a try. Matrix games have been pretty good to me.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 17 Feb 15, 20:14
Brigadier General
Canada

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
I hope you don't under-estimate how bad memory I have If it makes heavy use of random icons it can be very hard for me to learn. I'll have a look Saturday.
FPC uses both NATO icons as well as stylized images, but it isn't too difficult to distinguish between a Bradley and an M-1 Abrams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
There must be a way to un-wedge some of this deep pit that wargaming is in. I don't think we can count on Matrix (which then includes wargamer) or BFC. You would think that available software tools would make a pass at an open source game possible. But my attempts so far uncover a lot of ugliness in the tools, too. They have a lot of hardcoded things in there for other game types.
The wargame industry is in its current malaise due solely to its own making. So long as there are sufficient customers willing to spend money on computer wargames released in terrible condition, you will get games like Modern Naval Operations and World in Flames. The customer base has no one to blame but themselves.

With site owners like GrogHeads (a.k.a. Son of WarGamer) and developers actively stifling any meaningful discussion of games, this self-destructive trend will continue. An FPC developer even started a thread where participants were only allowed to gush about the good things within the game. So long as developers are more concerned with their egos than their wallets and thus close themselves off from the greater public, the greater public will keep their wallets closed to them.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 19 Feb 15, 18:34
Private
United_States

Cap'n Darwin is on the path to success [1-99]
An open letter from a FPC Red Storm Dev.

I'm not going to beat on the myriad of dead horses attached to some of the banter in this thread. You can all work that yourselves.

All I am going to state are fact about our game, our team, and our support of the game.

1. All we have done in the past 14 odd months is continue to support the game, fix bugs, add user requested features, update documents, start a website for file hosting, and occasionally talk to our families. There are only 5 of us and only 3 that really hit the sites covering our game to get feedback and bug reports. Have I missed a few. No doubt, but we are still working and still grabbing reports.

2. We have stayed out of any of these flame wars and proxy flame wars. It's hard sometimes because the internet is the haven of free speech without the need for preemptive though. Folks say whatever, whenever, with no recourse in many cases. To be frank, we have stated to certain admins on more than one site that we don't care were the bug reports come from we would like to have them. We have swept nothing under a table at any time, nor have we wielded any Odin-like influence to have posts removed or folks banned. That's not our job or realistically our concern. As stated in #1 we are around to improve our game.

3. We have to live numerous inaccurate or convoluted half truths that get posted. Case in point, the post above stating An FPC developer even started a thread where participants were only allowed to gush about the good things within the game. So long as developers are more concerned with their egos than their wallets and thus close themselves off from the greater public, the greater public will keep their wallets closed to them. Now, I'm not looking to shoot the messenger here, but I do want to correct what is a very biased statement that paints us as some ego driven group of Devs. Let's parse this item out and fix it.
3.1 Yes we created a post to ask folks what they liked about the game. No guns to anyone's head on that. No one was site banned for a not positive post. We basically wanted to know what players liked in the game. Simple research. Works to help us going forward knowing what really worked for people so we can leave it alone going forward.
3.2 If we were being EGO driven we would have said, "hey, say nice things about us". That's ego. It's a wargame. There are no egos to stroke.
3.3 We aren't even concerned about our wallets. Again, computer wargame. No one's getting rich and moving to Maui with this stuff. As stated in #1, we just want to make a good game people like to play.
3.4 We have expand into the "greater public" with the Steam release. We would like to get as much exposure for the game as we can so we get a few more shillings tossed in the guitar case. We are not looking to shutdown any paths in that regard.

So to boil this down I don't know how a post on positive feedback = egos = us ditching the public, but perhaps my work day was too long and I'm too tired to see the logic.

Herman, as a personal note, I'm not looking to tangle. Just fix a statement that is not accurate that other will read. I'll say it right here in public that you have been a big help in getting a number of bugs found and fixed and we have made that clear in other circles. Hopefully we will see you posting again in the future, but if not we understand and there are other things in this life other then Red Storm.

I'm off the soapbox and need to work on the game. Enjoy Folks!
Old 19 Feb 15, 19:18
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Darwin View Post
I'll say it right here in public that you have been a big help in getting a number of bugs found and fixed and we have made that clear in other circles. Hopefully we will see you posting again in the future, but if not we understand and there are other things in this life other then Red Storm.
Accepting bug reports wherever they appear is the only professional approach to problem-solving. Here are some more bugs recently discovered in v2.08:

AirStrike CTD v208

Air strikes work in saved game file 1448 but will result in a CTD in the next turn (1447) when the player tries to assign them. I suspect that it has something to do with a change in weather. I think that the weather conditions deteriorated when turn 1448 was running and the airstrike was postponed. The weather improved and the air strike mission was still registered.

VP calc mis-match v208

If the game is ended manually, it shows a different VP calculation than if it is ended upon scenario expiration.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Sponsored Links

Old 19 Feb 15, 19:25
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
VP calc mis-match v208

If the game is ended manually, it shows a different VP calculation than if it is ended upon scenario expiration.
The description is inaccurate. If the game is ended, hex 2702 supposedly changes control to NATO. However, the map shows the VP location as Green (contested).

Attached Images
File Type: gif VP calc mis-match v208.gif (95.2 KB, 103 views)

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 19 Feb 15, 19:38
Private
United_States

Herman, got the files and will look them over this weekend and get them in the bug tracking system.

Thanks.
Old 19 Feb 15, 19:39
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
3.3 We aren't even concerned about our wallets. Again, computer wargame. No one's getting rich and moving to Maui with this stuff. As stated in #1, we just want to make a good game people like to play.
That's just small-minded thinking. The money is out there. People can get rich, but they have to deliver. The basic concept behind FPC is very good. If it were available in an iPad format like runaway hits Battle Academy or PanzerCorps, FPC might replicate their success. It's that good.

Getting a user interface up to that level is up to the developers, should they choose to accept the mission. FPC may not have the graphics associated with the WarGame series, but the gameplay and enjoyment level is certainly comparable.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 19 Feb 15, 20:02
Brigadier General
Canada

1. There are zombie units appearing. We know that these units are 'dead' because of the "S" shown in their mobility type (instead of R/L/T/W), but continue to attract enemy fire as well as provide indestructible observation platforms.

Zombie units v208

This video is not yet publicly released, but the zombie units can be seen at the 6h46m20s mark

[FPC] Red Army (MP) - NATO

2. The "S" mobility usually denotes units that are going die within the VCR replay. This is wrong and should not be shown. A player will know that the unit will be entirely wiped out by the end of the VCR replay and this gives too much information.

The Mobility Type should be shown normally because, as the unit incurs losses, it might just disappear. I think that this would be the correct and proper method because the player never knows if he actually wiped out the enemy unit or if it is just out of view. Often, a unit can have the APCs destroyed, but the scouts/infantry squads survive and remain undetected. If a player sees/doesn't see the 'S' mobility symbol, he will know that no units remain in the hex.

3. Units rush into radioactive cloud.

In that same video and scenario, a nuclear weapon is detonated. Units on Hold status outside of the cloud actually race directly into the cloud. This is illogical. I find it hard to believe this is WAD. The behaviour can be seen at the 6h52m00s point of the video.

http://youtu.be/3mTheX3RM0c?t=6h52m00s

The units just outside the zone rush in towards the epicentre.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 19 Feb 15, 20:18
Brigadier General
Canada

Ammo consumption from damaged units not proportionate to survivors. An self-propelled artillery unit (1-2-172 DAR) starts with 8 gun vehicles (no other supporting ammunition carriers or support vehicles), suffers losses, and has only one surviving gun. Normally, the intact unit can fire 6 or more Neutralizing salvoes. However, the damaged unit with the single gun only fires twice before falling into a Low Ammo state.

This is illogical. It should be firing at the same rate, but at reduced effectiveness due to the lone gun. Instead, it seems as though the rate of ammunition consumption has actually increased due to losses.

Akatsiya ammo v208

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 19 Feb 15, 21:17
Private
United_States

Herman, on the arty unit ammo issue, were there any other subunits with that gun?

For the "S" mobility, which I will add we have no code in the code to generate that, but it appears in this weird bug. Is it only showing in VCR replay or do you see it in normal turn resolution? I want to narrow down the targets for this one.

The nuke rush is odd. Unless they don't "see" the cloud once they contact it they should look to get out of it. We'll check that out.
Old 19 Feb 15, 21:19
Brigadier General
Canada

Another Incorrect VP Eval v209B

If Piper8 is ended, the game will evaluate more favourably for the Soviet player. However, if the game is run to duration (Piper9), the NATO units are weaker and further away, but the VP evaluation is more favourable to NATO. This is illogical and inconsistent.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 19 Feb 15, 21:23
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
on the arty unit ammo issue, were there any other subunits with that gun?
I stated in the report that there were no associated support sub-units within the artillery unit, even when it was fully intact at the start of the game.

Quote:
For the "S" mobility, which I will add we have no code in the code to generate that, but it appears in this weird bug. Is it only showing in VCR replay or do you see it in normal turn resolution? I want to narrow down the targets for this one.
The S-mobility code seems to primarily appear during the VCR replay, with the exception being the Zombie Units bug. In that instance, the Zombie units showed S-mobility and I was able to issue orders to other non-Zombified units during my turn.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 19 Feb 15, 21:39
Brigadier General
Canada

Off-map CB arty hits self v209B?

1. Off-map short-ranged artillery such as mortars with 5000m range can hit long-rang heavy 152mm guns with 15K+ range (both on- and off-map.)

2. If the saved game scenario Dc305 is ended, the UK side can be seen to have suffered off-map artillery losses to mortar artillery unit "1". However, no Soviet unit was ever given a CB mission. Soviet side was under player control the entire time and FSCC was not enabled.

A further check on the Kill report shows that no Soviet unit claims an artillery kill. Could the NATO mortar unit have somehow inflicted losses upon itself?

Attached Images
File Type: gif CB arty hits self v209B.gif (141.7 KB, 66 views)

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 19 Feb 15, 22:01
Private
United_States

Read right over the subunit thing. Sorry about that. Long day. I'll add these to the bug tracking list.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!