StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 27 Sep 13, 16:00
General of the Forums
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
True. Still, I think I'm going to have to give this one a lot of thought.

Thanks for the input-hearing this from guys wih no axe to grind is a real help.
I will say 80 dollars is a lot to ask. They need a demo for guys like you on the fence to help decide if it is the right fit for them or not.
Old 27 Sep 13, 16:09
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
I will say 80 dollars is a lot to ask. They need a demo for guys like you on the fence to help decide if it is the right fit for them or not.
Yeah, that is a good idea.
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 27 Sep 13, 16:19
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
If anyone desperately needs to try this as a demo before making the purchase decision, they can contact me. I can try to set up a test session.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 27 Sep 13, 16:28
General of the Forums
United_States

Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Those Norwegian patrol boat scenarios are a blast. Fast paced and action packed, especially the 1970s one with first gen missiles.
Yup, I've played that one 3 times....
Of cabbages—and kings—
And why the sea is boiling hot—
And whether pigs have wings.”
― Lewis Carroll
Old 27 Sep 13, 16:31
General of the Forums
United_States

Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Combat Engineer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Command Ops Battles of the Bulge, my favorite PC Wargame, got the same reaction when it first came out, $75 I think. I bought it as it was the first PC game I'd bought in over 3 years. It was the last, not counting the scenario pack for it, that I bought until this one.
Of cabbages—and kings—
― Lewis Carroll
Old 27 Sep 13, 16:52
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft 

Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Arnold J Rimmer has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Engineer View Post
Command Ops Battles of the Bulge, my favorite PC Wargame, got the same reaction when it first came out, $75 I think. I bought it as it was the first PC game I'd bought in over 3 years. It was the last, not counting the scenario pack for it, that I bought until this one.
That's another I am looking at very hard. Are you happy with it?
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 27 Sep 13, 18:00
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
That's another I am looking at very hard. Are you happy with it?
Main Game

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...from.the.Bulge.

Expansion:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/...y.to.the.Reich

Only PC games I play. Excellent is an understatement.

Download only = $60 and $25. More for Download\Physical Disk.

Can't recommend them both enough. No Hexes, AI that can actually play. Pick what level you want to issue orders, lower order AI takes care of details, or you can drill down and command at the company(-) level..
Of cabbages—and kings—
― Lewis Carroll
Old 28 Sep 13, 22:25
ACG Forums - canis administrationem
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+] GCoyote has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Main Game

Expansion:

Can't recommend them both enough. No Hexes, AI that can actually play. Pick what level you want to issue orders, lower order AI takes care of details, or you can drill down and command at the company(-) level..
Do they have a more contemporary title running the same game engine?

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.
Old 28 Sep 13, 22:36
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Main Game

Expansion:

They released another scenario pack, the 1941 invasion of Greece by the Germans.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a try.
Old 29 Sep 13, 07:16
General of the Forums
France
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Stryker 19K30 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
They released another scenario pack, the 1941 invasion of Greece by the Germans.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll give it a try.
The expansions are engine updates of older titles Highway to the Reich and Conquest of the Aegean. Much improved. Like CE I can't recommend them enough. Much less than Command, but to get the most out of these titles you need a decent understanding of how to conduct operations to get the most out of the titles. But you can also learn from your mistakes and use it to get a better understanding.
Sponsored Links

Old 29 Sep 13, 07:21
General of the Forums
Israel
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Golani has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I HATE steam. I'll never knowingly buy another game affiliated with them.
I used to be the same as you, well, worse. Until I was forced to pick up ARMA3 via steam.
It's not as bad as I remembered it, it actually has some good points for it. OTOH it makes spending money too easy...
Old 29 Sep 13, 23:58
Brigadier General
Canada

A new review for CMO has been posted to SimHQ.
http://www.simhq.com/air-combat/comm...ns-review.html

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 30 Sep 13, 10:15
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
The expansions are engine updates of older titles Highway to the Reich and Conquest of the Aegean. Much improved. Like CE I can't recommend them enough. Much less than Command, but to get the most out of these titles you need a decent understanding of how to conduct operations to get the most out of the titles. But you can also learn from your mistakes and use it to get a better understanding.
I've downloaded the game, and will satart reading the manual today. I've been green-lit to get the expansions but want to try the core issue first.

So far, what I've seen reminds me of the billing for The Road to Moscow, which never made it off the design board.
Old 30 Sep 13, 14:56
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

StellarRat is on the path to success [1-99] StellarRat is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
A new review for CMO has been posted to SimHQ.
http://www.simhq.com/air-combat/comm...ns-review.html

I can't view the video. Says, "This video is private"
Old 30 Sep 13, 15:22
General of the Forums
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarRat View Post
I can't view the video. Says, "This video is private"
If you cross reference it with the Maxtrix Games forum it seems to be because there is some politics going on. I will not say who is wrong or right, but it seems Herman Hum has had a very public feud with the people that developed Command over the past 10 years. I can't comment on the content of the review because I didn't see it, but I can't see HH as being the best person to provide a review, given the history between himself and the developers. No matter if he is right or wrong there is a taint to it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!