StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 28 Oct 15, 15:53
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
In direct response to a request from Brian Liddicoat:

"Just saw the release video re: Command: Air/Naval Ops: "Northern Inferno" DLC. It would be great to see you play this when it's released."

Although the request was posted under a video AAR for FlashPoint Campaigns, it was still answered.

A new video has been added to the YouTube Harpoon for Dummies channel to help players navigate the complexities of the game and to deliver the best possible playing experience.

[MNO] Northern Inferno: FailSafe

This video shows just how horribly buggy MNO is and exemplifies the awkward interface. Take careful note how a player must fight through the user interface for over four hours in a scenario that would have taken no more than one hour to play in Harpoon along with the fact that the game crashed not once, but TWICE as it was being loaded for play.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 27 Dec 15, 09:11
Colonel
UK

Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100] Poor Old Spike has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Hi guys, I bought myself Command:Modern Air/Naval Combat (CMANO) earlier this month, and to say the least am not impressed with it, i've already expressed some minor dissatisfaction in the Matrix forum but am pulling my punches until I've got more into the game because I don't want to go off half-cocked.
Meanwhile, in confidence,could I ask what your opinions of the game are and if you've noticed any major defects etc?
The worst thing I've noticed so far is that AI vessels won't turn to defend themselves by opening their gun and missile arcs against incoming anti-ship missiles even though they've got plenty of time to turn.
Or am I doing something wrong?
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3988570
Thanks
Old 27 Dec 15, 11:47
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
Hi guys, I bought myself Command:Modern Air/Naval Combat (CMANO) earlier this month, and to say the least am not impressed with it,
Along with most other purchasers. :-)

Quote:
The worst thing I've noticed so far is that AI vessels won't turn to defend themselves by opening their gun and missile arcs against incoming anti-ship missiles even though they've got plenty of time to turn.
If the inability of the AI to turn ships so that they can adequately defend themselves is the 'worst' thing you have noticed, consider yourself lucky. This is a design limitation for MNO. All weapons are considered able to fire in a 360 degree arc at any target over 5nm. That is deliberate because of exactly the reason you outline. The AI is simply not smart enough to find a way to turn units so that the best weapons are brought to bear on incoming threats. So, instead of making the AI smarter, they go with this lame short-cut solution.

As to other glaring flaws in MNO, check out this video:

In short, only absolute fools grant the AI control of anything in MNO. If you want any hope of success, you micro-manage the hell out of each and every unit. It is the only way to prevent the AI from going off and doing something totally idiotic. Even when you try to micro-manage every unit, there will still be instances whereby the AI attempts to seize control of your units to do something stupid. Users must keep a close watch on the AI at all times.

If you purchased the game via Steam, think long and hard about getting a refund before it is too late.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 28 Dec 15, 01:29
Private First Class
Italy

Reckall has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
As to other glaring flaws in MNO, check out this video:

In short, only absolute fools grant the AI control of anything in MNO. If you want any hope of success, you micro-manage the hell out of each and every unit.
I can confirm this. Actually, my impression is that in "Command" you fight against a programmed AI. Many players think that the default orders for their units are based on a good plan to go against the enemy. They aren't. Actually, the default orders very often send your forces against the enemy ones. As soon as you delete them and put together an "out of the loop" plan, the AI is toast, and you are able to win very easily.

In the linked video Herman did to Command's AI what the Germans did to the French Army in 1940. Everyone expected the Germans to attack through Holland and Belgium. Instead Guderian crossed the Ardennes, much south, and came out from nowhere - breaking the French front and basically winning the campaign in three days.

Likewise, Herman deleted the default AI orders, attacked from an unexpected direction, and was able to nuke Russia without the Russian AI reacting. The most difficult scenario in the "Northern Inferno" stand-alone expansion was won like that. Of course the price to pay was A LOT of patience, due to the endemic slowness of "Command" engine. You can see this in the video.

And, please, note that the game shown in the video was played on an high-end computer. I can confirm that also on my system (i7 Intel Processor, 8GB RAM, GeForce 980GTX 4GB graphic card, SSD HD) Command is a chore to play - something that doesn't happen with any other game/wargame out there.

It is your call, but think hard about a refund: after two years of patches, the basic problems are still unresolved. I don't think anymore that "Command" isn't going to get better.
Old 19 May 16, 14:17
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Well i have finally taken the plunge and well i am not impressed and think i have wasted my money.

I still find i like Harpoon better then Command, but i will keep giving it a try.

I have only had it for about a month, but it should cost no more then 30 dollars. It isn't that big of improvement over Harpoon. It actually should have been marketed as another Harpoon version in the franchise.
Sponsored Links

Old 19 May 16, 15:29
Brigadier General
Canada

You are certainly not alone with your impression about wasted money.

$30 is actually too much. Most will wait until it drops to $20. The developers tried to sell the game at $40 last year and, after an initial surge, could barely convince anyone to bother trying the game. Lots of folks even returned it for refund, after trying it and finding it worthless.

It was on 50% discount ($40) for months, but the pool of suckers was already dry. This summer, they are trying a 60% discount ($32) and the interest has already started to die. Most everyone knows it isn't worth more than $20 and are waiting for it to drop to that point before even looking at it. They just need to hang on a little longer. The developers are desperate and it might drop to $20 by this Xmas.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 19 May 16, 17:56
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100]
As I said, they should have marketed it as part of Harpoon line, and sold it right from the start for under $30. I find myself going back to Harpoon more often then playing Command.
Old 19 May 16, 20:24
Brigadier General
Canada

They cannot use the Harpoon name, since that is trademarked by another company.

I agree that they should have started at a lower price. $20 would have been more appropriate and more successful for them. Instead, they tried to rip off customers at every stage of pricing and now must reap the distrust they have sown.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 20 May 16, 17:41
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

I still haven't found not much that can't be done in Harpoon. I wonder what these people were thinking charging what they did for this program.

I understand it is a limited audience platform, but still it wasn't worth what they charged.

I do like the updated features and all that, and once you learn the editor and the commands it is a decent sim, but i have seen the problems others have mentioned and i feel like i want some of my money back.

Well time to go start something in the 1960's in Harpoon....lol
Old 20 May 16, 17:56
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy31a View Post
I wonder what these people were thinking charging what they did for this program.
They were hoping to copy the success of Harpoon, without actually expending the effort, doing the work, or copying the reasons that made Harpoon a success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy31a View Post
I do like the updated features and all that, and once you learn the editor and the commands it is a decent sim, but i have seen the problems others have mentioned and i feel like i want some of my money back.
Very true. There are a few nice new things added, but they are not worth the cost of gutting all the features that made Harpoon so popular. The developers pray for victims like you; those who cannot wait long enough for the game to drop to $20. That's what snake-oil salesmen do. Live and learn.

Supposedly, they are working on MNOv2; which will have all the features that should have been included with MNO (for another $80 USD)

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 20 May 16, 20:11
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
They were hoping to copy the success of Harpoon, without actually expending the effort, doing the work, or copying the reasons that made Harpoon a success.

Very true. There are a few nice new things added, but they are not worth the cost of gutting all the features that made Harpoon so popular. The developers pray for victims like you; those who cannot wait long enough for the game to drop to $20. That's what snake-oil salesmen do. Live and learn.

Supposedly, they are working on MNOv2; which will have all the features that should have been included with MNO (for another $80 USD)
They won't get it from me....
Old 17 Jun 16, 13:39
Staff Sergeant
United_States

Mgellis is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Thanks
The issue might be the rules of engagement. If a ship is on a plotted course, the default setting is to ignore attacks and keep going. You can change that, at the level of sides, missions, or individual units, if you want.

I would also look at the information for the newest updates (there have been two, I think, since your original post). The developers provide a log of changes. All you have to do is look at the Matrix forums and you can see they take bug reports very seriously.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WRA 1.JPG (40.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 17 Jun 16, 15:23
Brigadier General
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
The developers provide a log of changes. All you have to do is look at the Matrix forums and you can see they take bug reports very seriously.
Yeah, the developers take bug reports so seriously that they ignored Poor Old Spike's within days of it appearing. Six months later, the problem persists.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 04 Nov 16, 12:36
Private
United_States

Old dog is on the path to success [1-99]
Sounds aggravating. I think that Kermit the Frog was right. 'It ain't easy bein' Green.'

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!