StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > World War II

Notices and Announcements

World War II Discuss WW2. .

Old 04 Jun 13, 04:18
Private
United_States

Alberich is on the path to success [1-99]
Primary Sources, Official Documents, Battle Reports, etc

So I checked through the stickies and other threads, and didn't see a topic quite like this, so I figured I'd open discussion on it; does anyone know a good source for finding official documents and similar primary sources?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 04 Jun 13, 04:43
First Lieutenant
United_States

ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99]
You can try here: http://www.archives.gov/research/

You can also try here: http://www.foia.gov/how-to.html

This is just what I found with Google. I'm sure someone will be along to help you with more information.
Old 04 Jun 13, 06:21
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Skoblin has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Hello Alberich,

There are many archival sources for battlefield reports, official documents and primary sources.

For the US, there are the National Archives already mentioned
http://www.archives.gov/
And the Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace
www.hoover.org/‎

For Britain there are also the National Archives
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
And the Imperial War Museum
http://www.iwm.org.uk/

For Germany, there are the Federal Archives (the Bundesarchiv)
http://www.bundesarchiv.de/index.html.de

I have also posted a thread on research assistants available for conducting research at various institutions and for photocopying or digitally photographing requested documents.
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=130749

In addition, Freightshaker has set up a thread for various historical research links
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ad.php?t=75052

Old 04 Jun 13, 06:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
We have a few online at Hyperwar.

And I have fifty cases more to be done yet.
Old 04 Jun 13, 08:56
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
http://www.fischer-tropsch.org/

Go to "government documents"
Old 04 Jun 13, 09:10
General of the Forums
United_States

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
The CARL database is handy.
Old 04 Jun 13, 10:28
General of the Forums
United_States

HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400]
HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400] HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberich View Post
So I checked through the stickies and other threads, and didn't see a topic quite like this, so I figured I'd open discussion on it; does anyone know a good source for finding official documents and similar primary sources?
Whatever the National Archives has, UT-North Texas has, and then some. Another upside is that if your sole reliance is to have the feds mail anything to you, barring it being online for size and at their convenience purposes, UT's is virtually all available online.

http://www.cah.utexas.edu/collection...ry_history.php
Old 04 Jun 13, 10:57
General of the Forums
Canada
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500] tigersqn is a jewel in the rough [500]
A couple of useful sites

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/subject_menus/nca_v4menu.asp

http://cdm15040.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/
Old 15 Sep 13, 14:04
Private
United_States

GusBell is a balanced individual [0]
Thanks for the references

Many of these sites helped me -- before I joined Armchair General, in my research for writing the book, The Other Eisenhower. And there are a lot here that will help for future books. Thanks.
Old 26 Apr 14, 07:21
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberich View Post
I sometimes wonder how accurate 'official' records re: WW2 are.I will give 2 for instances,I have recently stated that my L/C flotilla was instructed to land on Juno on D Day.A certain person associated with this forum checked on the carrier ship that carried us to Normandy and said no one from that ship landed on Juno, I without having anything to support me on which beach,conceeded the point but am still convinced that I was correct. The other instance is when the flotilla was reformed into a L/ infantry battalion,at least part of the 33rd was back in Belgium before Christmas 44 (which I was part of) but another record reader says NO you were not!! I admit that I am showing my age at times but I am not senile yet. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Sponsored Links

Old 26 Apr 14, 07:39
General of the Forums
United_States

If the records were 100% accurate what would we have to argue about?
Old 07 Dec 14, 12:37
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
From C-Span Reel America: An 82 minute video from 1943 called December 7th. Due to Navy objections only 34 minutes of the film was released during the war.

http://www.c-span.org/video/?322949-...y-december-7th
Old 10 Dec 14, 08:05
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Hi

Though the National Archives (UK) was been mentioned earlier, there's also the Cabinet Papers (1915-1984). Its free and easy to use and fast downloads.
It doesn't have unit combat records but it contains so much more concerning strategy, production, diplomatic and political considerations, plus numerous reports on events across the globe. The Weekly resume's are a goldmine of information.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cabinetpapers/

Regards

Andy H

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower
Old 10 Dec 14, 08:30
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersqn View Post
I was contacted by the Avalon Project about copying my digital version of the "Nazi-Soviet Relations, 1939-1941". I was fine with that. But when I checked their version they had deleted all the references, the location of the text in the archives. I guess they didn't understand what they were, but they could have asked. It was like deleting the footnotes from a book.

Bottom line, if you use the Avalon Project be sure to check that they haven't "improved" the material you're looking at.
Old 10 Dec 14, 09:15
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Also, if you have a specific battle or operation in mind and have an authoritative book or two, check footnotes and bibliographies for source references used, sometimes they include on-line sources.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!