StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 05 May 14, 11:48
Private First Class
United_States

StrategosPress is on the path to success [1-99]
My favorite history book I've read to date would have to be The Pirate Coast by Richard Zacks. He does an excellent job of telling how the Americans faced off against the Barbary Pirates in a story that is purely captivating. I would love to see it made into a movie, but I know Hollywood would ruin it.

Also pays homage to the first eight Marines sent on the mission where the "shores of Tripoli..." gains relevance.

-Wise Man

I would deeply appreciate helpful feedback on my website and newsletter which can be found under "Contact Info" in my Profile Page.
Old 05 May 14, 13:05
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100] jonny87kz has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I really liked the pirate coast too. One of my all time favorites is Fly for Your Life it's about Robert Stanford Tuck, the battle of Britain ace. It was one of the books that really got me into history. Also Caesar's Legion the story of the 10th legion.
"A foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse." Ulysses S. Grant
Old 05 May 14, 14:28
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99]
[QUOTE=Phebe;2722626]
I agree that I keep going back to Barbara Tuchman: Guns of August and also The Zimmerman Telegram, which shows succinctly exactly why American entered WWI: it was the 9/11 of the time.
QUOTE]

Try the recent book: Dark Invasion: 1915: Germany's Secret War and the Hunt for the First Terrorist Cell in America, by Howard Blum.

I'm not sure if The Zimmerman Telegram did justice to the German espionage, sabotage, and assasination attempts.
Old 05 May 14, 14:32
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99] mconrad is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrategosPress View Post
My favorite history book I've read to date would have to be The Pirate Coast by Richard Zacks. He does an excellent job of telling how the Americans faced off against the Barbary Pirates in a story that is purely captivating. I would love to see it made into a movie, but I know Hollywood would ruin it.
I dunno. Hollywood (or at least the San Fernando valley) always seems to be taking parts from Zacks' History Laid Bare: Love, Sex, and Perversity from the Ancient Etruscans to Warren G. Harding and developing these things from just about every angle.
Old 15 May 14, 19:55
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99] Darth Holliday is on the path to success [1-99]
I would have to vote for Homers Illiad...
Old 16 May 14, 10:17
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phebe View Post
I agree that I keep going back to Barbara Tuchman: Guns of August and also The Zimmerman Telegram, which shows succinctly exactly why American entered WWI: it was the 9/11 of the time.
Try the recent book: Dark Invasion: 1915: Germany's Secret War and the Hunt for the First Terrorist Cell in America, by Howard Blum.

I'm not sure if The Zimmerman Telegram did justice to the German espionage, sabotage, and assasination attempts.
Interesting! I may try that.

There is a new "Zimmermann Telegram," by Thomas Boghardt I want to read, with a cartoon cover:

The caption has the Pickelhaube guy saying to the little sombrero guy, "All y'got to do is beat the stuffin' out of that old guy there an' the pie is yours!"

The pie is the American Southwest, three states.
Old 30 May 14, 09:59
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

LtCol is on the path to success [1-99] LtCol is on the path to success [1-99]
Shelby Foote's "The Civil War" Have had all three volumes for years and been unable to get started...maybe on an island?
Old 30 May 14, 14:30
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
don't bite off more than you can chew

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCol View Post
Shelby Foote's "The Civil War" Have had all three volumes for years and been unable to get started...maybe on an island?
Haha, same here a bit like starting in Homer's Iliad.

What I did to break this deadlock was to read selected chapters from his book on ACW episodes that interested me.
E.g. after having watched 'Cold Mountain' I turned to Shelby Foote to find out more about the Battle of the Crater.
Smilarly I read up in Foote for background information on a Combat Decision Game set in the Battle of Mobile Bay ("Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead") here at ACG.

I invariably found Foote's narrative prose enlightening and enjoyable to read; like listening to a southern gentleman telling me war stories on his veranda over a mint julep

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 17 Jul 14, 15:25
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada

ole timer is on the path to success [1-99] ole timer is on the path to success [1-99] ole timer is on the path to success [1-99]
it is a book on Winston Churchill but the title escapes me at present
Old 18 Jul 14, 14:22
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
A very tough question, but I'd have to say "Fighting for the Confederacy" by Edward Porter Alexander. My vote for the best written, least biased, and most insightful memoir about any war........

Peace through superior firepower.
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Jul 14, 21:39
Recruit
United_States

KPL33 is a balanced individual [0]
Grant and Lee: A Study in Personality and Generalship by J.F.C. Fuller followed closely by Lincoln and His Generals by T. Harry Williams and Jefferson Davis and His Generals by Steven Woodworth.
Old 10 Aug 14, 18:45
Sergeant Major
United_States

TDurden is on the path to success [1-99] TDurden is on the path to success [1-99] TDurden is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm looking for some new reads/information on the battles for Sevastopol and the Crimea during WW 2 of course. Any suggestions?

PS . . . prefer from an unbiased view of both sides but will take what I can get.
Old 10 Aug 14, 21:54
ACG Forums - General Staff
Canada
Distinguished Service Award Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800] CarpeDiem gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDurden View Post
I'm looking for some new reads/information on the battles for Sevastopol and the Crimea during WW 2 of course. Any suggestions?

PS . . . prefer from an unbiased view of both sides but will take what I can get.
I'd wait and get this book in September.

Where the Iron Crosses Grow: The Crimea 1941-44

Forczyk is a pretty solid writer.
Old 10 Aug 14, 22:36
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
Another fantastic read I'd like to suggest to any interested in Early Modern European history:

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy
By Peter H. Wilson

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"
Old 11 Aug 14, 07:52
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
My single most selection would have to be a book which I have held on to since the 1950's and I use it the way Sennef uses Foote's, but it is not as elegantly written, but a good quick reference: "War Through the Ages" by Lynn Montross.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!