StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 08 Jan 14, 15:36
Corporal
United_States

StormyB4 is on the path to success [1-99]
"The First Team: Pacific Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway". By John B. Lundstrom
Old 09 Jan 14, 19:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Another book that would be very high on my list would be Barbara Tuchman's The Guns Of August. Extremely readable.

And right on the heels of that would be Robert Massie's Dreadnought and Castles Of Steel. History writing at it's best.

Now that I think about it, what was I thinking in asking for just one favorite history book of all-time?
Old 10 Jan 14, 07:39
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400]
I have found this thread very helpful and have added several books to my categories.

I agree that I keep going back to Barbara Tuchman: Guns of August and also The Zimmerman Telegram, which shows succinctly exactly why American entered WWI: it was the 9/11 of the time.

You can get a lot of history books in audiobook form now. I am listening to Guns of August now and plan to "re-read" Herwig's The Marne in audiobook form next. Audible.com is a good company for that, I've found. I can keep the history going thru driving, shopping, and doing dishes. "Found" time.
Old 16 Jan 14, 15:35
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors by James D Hornfischer is another excellent book.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Tin...in+can+sailors

Homer

BoRG
Old 06 Feb 14, 16:38
Sergeant Major
United_States

TDurden is on the path to success [1-99] TDurden is on the path to success [1-99] TDurden is on the path to success [1-99]
I'm bookmarking this thread and posting a comment as I wont to boost it and hopefully get more suggestions.

I ordered "Strange Defeat" the second I saw it as I'm still confounded as to the seeming total breakdown of the French and would like to fully understand it.

BTW, I also read "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailor's" and agree with the above. Also, did anyone mention "Broken Sword"?

I'm gonna be bugging you guys much more for books to read 'cause I'm really getting fed up with trying to figure out what books to read using amazon.com reviews. The are so full of sock-puppets, etc that I have been spending as much time trying to sift through the good and bad reviews than I have reading books (slight exaggeration).
Sponsored Links

Old 06 Feb 14, 16:54
Sergeant Major
United_States

TDurden is on the path to success [1-99] TDurden is on the path to success [1-99] TDurden is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
History of Marine Corps Aviation in WW2...........by Robert Sherrod.....
Ordered the above. Thanks jeff.
Old 06 Feb 14, 17:47
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800] OpanaPointer gives and gets respect [800]
"The Oxford Companion to World War II" eds. Dear and Foot. Endless excruciatingly detailed information.
Old 06 Feb 14, 21:57
Private
Japan

jamesinjapan is on the path to success [1-99]
Samurai William by Giles Milton - I love the way that Milton opens up the Elizabethan/Tokugawa Period and his narration is sublime.

If you are not aware of the book, it is essentially the real story behind Shogun - which you may remember for the Richard Chamberlain TV series.
Old 16 Feb 14, 16:27
Recruit
Spain

Kutnezov is a balanced individual [0]
Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle by Richard B. Frank.

Excellent and very detailed book about the Guadalcanal campaign.
Old 23 Feb 14, 11:49
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDurden View Post
I'm bookmarking this thread and posting a comment as I wont to boost it and hopefully get more suggestions.

I ordered "Strange Defeat" the second I saw it as I'm still confounded as to the seeming total breakdown of the French and would like to fully understand it.

BTW, I also read "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailor's" and agree with the above. Also, did anyone mention "Broken Sword"?

I'm gonna be bugging you guys much more for books to read 'cause I'm really getting fed up with trying to figure out what books to read using amazon.com reviews. The are so full of sock-puppets, etc that I have been spending as much time trying to sift through the good and bad reviews than I have reading books (slight exaggeration).
Great post. I too am very interested in the rapid French defeat and have ordered both the Bloch (he was a famous historian who wrote this book as soon as he got back from service after the defeat, then joined the Resistance and was killed by Germans!! Well, darn, what a life.) I also ordered "Strange Victory" by May that came up too, the French defeat from the German side. Neither books are put out as ebooks but there are used copies. I have been playing with the idea that the WWII defeat of the French could have something to do with the French Revolution, as of course the French mutinies in 1917 did. However, I don't think there is anything there.

One of my very favorite history books -- I reread it -- is Robert O. Paxton's "Anatomy of Fascism." The title sounds dry but it's extremely lively and enlightening about the interwar years.

I loved what you said about the Amazon reviews!! Amazon has been desperate to stop the sock-puppetry self-advertising that goes on. They have some good reforms like the "verifiable Amazon purchase" that help, but then authors just get their friends and sockpuppets to buy copies. My favorite, because easy to spot, is a whole line of reviews all in the same style and same length. [Sigh] And at the higher level of reading we are on, I am sometimes morally certain it's the author reviewing his book and three of his graduate students.

One trick, if a book has a lot of reviews, is to access the later reviews. Click on "newest first" and read those. The phony reviews are up front because the author rushes to get them out as soon as the book is published, or earlier if possible. The later ones are probably real.

I review a lot of books on Amazon and Audible, but always honestly and only if the book doesn't have a lot of reviews --- orphan books, classics, etc. I don't bother reading a book that has faked reviews, of course, as a person with morals like that can't possibly write anything I would care to read.
Old 03 May 14, 23:59
Private
United_States

rowdyrugby is a balanced individual [0]
Empires of the Sea: The siege of Malta, the battle of Lepanto, and the contest for the center of the world by Roger Crowley. There are many others I love but it is the only one Ive read over and over and over and over and over and over...you get the idea
Old 04 May 14, 11:23
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Forgotten Victory by Gary Sheffield

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Vi.../dp/0747264600

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 04 May 14, 12:25
Sergeant Major
Canada

ITALICA ONE is on the path to success [1-99] ITALICA ONE is on the path to success [1-99]
Impossible just one but here are three I would choose.
Atlas of World History - Haywood
The last two million years - Readers digest
Decline and fall of the Roman Empire - Gibbons

Death bed last words. Always pay the Legions, Septimius Severus.
Old 04 May 14, 12:47
First Lieutenant
United_States

mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99] mimike is on the path to success [1-99]
As ITALICA said it is impossible to chose just one but here are the publications I have used the most:

Back in the 70’s I bought a 24 volume series, The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the 20th Century WEAPONS and WARFARE. It is now dated but every volume is dog eared due to constant use. These books have gone with me to multiple assignments all over the World and the States. I still read them in the bathroom.

My second choice is THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF MILITARY HISTORY, by Ernest Dupuy and Trevor N. Dupuy. I first found this book in a school library and bought my own copy as soon as I could, it covers battles and wars from 3500 BC to the 70’s.
Old 04 May 14, 12:55
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600] lakechampainer is simply cracking [600]
My favorite history book is probably The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman, which has already been mentioned by two other forum members.

My favorite biography is probably American Caesar by William Manchester.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!