StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 25 Oct 13, 20:29
Recruit
United_States

kptom is a balanced individual [0]
The Gettysburg Campaign: A Study in Command by Edwin Coddington. At one time it was described as the Bible to the Licensed Battlefield Guides at Gettysburg.
Old 25 Oct 13, 22:13
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+] The Ibis has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

Quote:
From Publishers Weekly
A premier baseball analyst and brand name, James (The Bill James Player Ratings Book, The Bill James Guide to Baseball Managers) releases a revised edition of his 1985 classic, with expanded player and team histories and reconsidered commentary. Divided into two sections, "The Game" and "The Players," this comprehensive and opinionated tome describes the evolution of the sport over the decades (uniforms in the 1890s, best minor league teams of the 1930s, the Negro Leagues, etc.) and the characteristics of its players (stats, injuries, habits and proclivities). The thumbnail player sketches in the second section (the 100 greatest players at each position) vary widely in content and tone: the entry on Lefty Gomez includes a page on his public-speaking abilities, while of Kevin Brown, James merely writes, "I don't root for him, either, but he is a great pitcher." (James has assigned the rankings according to a statistical rating formula he calls Win Shares, which he explains conceptually and mathematically.) The game section, though, is the standout. It may not contain detailed statistical leaders or standings for each year, or even who won each World Series, but it does offer information on new stadiums, the competitiveness of different leagues and shifts in the way the game was played. At the end of each chapter, a "decade in a box" lists major statistics and Jamesian awards, varying from the quantitative (the team with the best record) and the qualitative (the best switch hitter) to the quirky (the decade's ugliest player). (Dec.)Forecast: There are enough baseball and Bill James fans to ensure steady sales, and the pub date near enough to the World Series might encourage a few extra readers. A uniquely personal, even iconoclastic guide, this belongs in baseball libraries to counterpoint The Baseball Encyclopedia and Total Baseball.
Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information, Inc.

--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Old 26 Oct 13, 03:09
General of the Forums
EU
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Full Monty has disabled reputation
There can be only one .......

Since I've been pushed by Uncle Bob it has to be 'Forgotten Victory - The First World War: Myths and Realities' by Gary Sheffield. It certainly has its flaws but these are inherent to the very nature of the book. Sheffield isn't writing a history of the war he's trying the change the popular perception it so it plays up the successes and glosses over the failures. It's very well written too in that it's accessible but never is its subject matter compromised.

Old 26 Oct 13, 04:12
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
In a lifetime of being engaged with history I notice myself coming back to

Paul Kennedy's: Rise and Fall of the Great Powers.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 26 Oct 13, 06:57
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sennef View Post
In a lifetime of being engaged with history I notice myself coming back to

Paul Kennedy's: Rise and Fall of the Great Powers.

That's a good one. It's on my shelf for most influential books on my life.
Old 15 Dec 13, 09:02
Private First Class
United_States

cap78 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ibis View Post
Good call - enjoy his writing style
As for me, "Team of Rivals" or "John Adams" or...actually, better think more on this
Old 15 Dec 13, 09:51
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Rojik has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

I love the grand rather than the nitty gritty. I have an older version that stops after the fall of the USSR, and it gets a read every 12 - 18 months.

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!
Old 15 Dec 13, 13:03
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ibis View Post
He is a good one. I really enjoyed his Politics of Glory. Really opened my eyes on how the Baseball Hall of Fame election process goes.
Old 18 Dec 13, 13:20
Sergeant Major
United_States

VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99]
"The Impending Crisis: America Before The Civil War- 18418-1861" by David M. Potter. Absolutely outstanding.

"The "most pure" communism? Kolyma. They all equally died."- slick_miester
Old 18 Dec 13, 16:47
Captain
United_States

phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100] phil74501 has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Adolph Hitler by John Tolland. I like that it not only covers Hitler, but you get a view of the war in Europe was well. Especially the events leading up to the start. I also like that it is the most unbiased book about Hitler, or the Nazi era in general, that I've ever read.
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Dec 13, 22:27
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VancePolk View Post
"The Impending Crisis: America Before The Civil War- 18418-1861" by David M. Potter. Absolutely outstanding.
Was that 18418 BC?
Old 19 Dec 13, 07:11
ACG Forums - Africanus Majoris
Israel
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Colonel Sennef has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.N. Armstrong View Post
Strange Defeat by Marc Bloch, who as middle ages historian called to active duty, gave me not only the best insight to the collapse of the French Army in May 1940, but also demonstrated the powers of a historian judging contemporary events.
Picked that one up in the original French during my recent stay in France.
I was hooked after the first few pages.
Like with von Clausewitz, Bloch's logic is so dry that become almost humorous.

Indeed as an intel officer cum historian Bloch was well positioned to put the events surrounding France's catastrophic collapse in 1940 in a wider perspective.

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.
Old 20 Dec 13, 15:44
Sergeant Major
United_States

VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate View Post
Was that 18418 BC?

Ooops...1848

"The "most pure" communism? Kolyma. They all equally died."- slick_miester
Old 20 Dec 13, 22:56
General of the Forums
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300] Super Six 4 is on a distinguished road [300]
I enjoyed Herodotus' Histories. I learned history yet it was a bit more like reading a story-definitely not like a textbook. Plus gotta give credit to the man for traveling all over the place to get his research done. As a bit of a writer myself, I gotta admire that.

--Hávamál
Old 26 Dec 13, 13:31
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99]
I can't choose one but The History of the Second World War by Winston Churchill is my top of the list .

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!