StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 23 Jun 13, 09:26
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600] jeffdoorgunnr is simply cracking [600]
History of Marine Corps Aviation in WW2...........by Robert Sherrod.....
Old 24 Jun 13, 06:20
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99] Yankee is on the path to success [1-99]
It's several books. The History of The Second World War By Winston Churchill
All five volumes .
Old 25 Jun 13, 18:55
Banned
United_States

Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200]
As long as we're counting fiction, I'll have to say The Red Badge of Courage. Growing up where I did, there was Civil War history all around me, but I read this when I was about 10, and it really cemented everything.
Old 26 Jun 13, 23:10
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+] T. A. Gardner has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Under the Red Sea Sun By Adm (then Cdr.) Edward Ellsburg.
Old 27 Jun 13, 02:25
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Arthur Bryant's trilogy: Years of Endurance 1793-1802, Years of Victory 1802-1812, and Age of Elegance 1812-1822. There is no better Social, Military and Political study of Britain's wars with Revolutionary and Napoleonic France.

Mind You, If I had to take a second choice instead, it would be The King's Peace 1637-1641, and The King's War 1641-1647, by C.V Wedgewood. for the same reasons as above but this time on the English Civil War.

Paul
Sponsored Links

Old 14 Aug 13, 22:28
Private First Class
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jestre is a balanced individual [0]
A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918
Old 15 Aug 13, 07:50
Sergeant
United_States

Castle is on the path to success [1-99] Castle is on the path to success [1-99] Castle is on the path to success [1-99]
Eastern Approaches, by Fitzroy MacLean
Old 15 Aug 13, 13:19
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300]
Carl Sandberg wrote a huge multivolume biography of Abraham Lincoln (Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years [2 volumes] and Abraham Lincoln: The War Years [4 volumes] a total of over 7000 pages), that I read parts of early in my high school career. I bought, as I could afford them, some of the volumes in paperback. When I think about it, I think that this set of books probably did more to influence my love of history, reading about the Civil War and my admiration of Abraham Lincoln than just about any other book or books. As a plus the books were beautifully written.
Old 15 Aug 13, 18:52
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99] VancePolk is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestre View Post
A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918
Excellent read!

"The "most pure" communism? Kolyma. They all equally died."- slick_miester
Old 15 Aug 13, 19:32
General of the Forums
Australia
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
The Face of Battle: John Keegan, or for a local (Australian) perspective

The Great War and Gallipoli: Les Carlyon
Old 15 Aug 13, 22:23
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thanks everybody for the responses and bring this back to life.

Some very good books have been recommended and makes me realize exactly how much I haven't read.

Keep'em coming!
Old 16 Aug 13, 16:15
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Strange Defeat by Marc Bloch, who as middle ages historian called to active duty, gave me not only the best insight to the collapse of the French Army in May 1940, but also demonstrated the powers of a historian judging contemporary events.
Old 16 Aug 13, 16:48
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Darn Bob, that is one hard question to answer.

Fiction they are but Winds of War and War and Remembrance opened up some doors on subjects I had heard little about before reading. A little known book that I got as a gift was Monitor Chronicles written by a crew member telling more about the daily life on board than any big battles. Then there is "That Dark and Bloody River" Just to many to pick just one.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 16 Aug 13, 18:25
General of the Forums
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600] BELGRAVE is simply cracking [600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Darn Bob, that is one hard question to answer.

Fiction they are but Winds of War and War and Remembrance opened up some doors on subjects I had heard little about before reading. A little known book that I got as a gift was Monitor Chronicles written by a crew member telling more about the daily life on board than any big battles. Then there is "That Dark and Bloody River" Just to many to pick just one.
That's certainly true. An authoritative, well written novel can give insights into conflict that can be as valuable as a non-fiction work. Regarding war in the air, I can recommend Winged Victory ,Victor Yeates (WW1) and Bomber ,Len Deighton (WW2).
Old 16 Aug 13, 19:13
Brigadier General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300] McMax is on a distinguished road [300]
James M. McPherson's The Battle Cry of Freedom.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!