StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Books, Film and Media > Books

Notices and Announcements

Books Looking for a particular reference work? Post it here. Also, talk about what you're currently reading with other members.

Old 01 Jun 13, 22:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Favorite History Book Of All-Time

If you had to choose one book above all others as your favorite history book of all-time, what would it be? (biographies can be included)

And now that I've asked the question, I find it very hard to name an all-time favorite. There are so many. Some recent ones come to mind like Ron Chernow's Washington- A Life, Jean Edward Smith's Grant, Richard Evans' Third Reich trilogy and Eric Wittenberg's One Continuous Fight. Older ones like William Shirer's Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich, anything by Winston Churchill, and many, many more.

But if I had to choose just one (I'm going to cheat), it would Shelby Foote's The Civil War- A Narrative trilogy. While Foote has his detractors and the books lean somewhat towards the South, his writing style is riveting and for the most part he gets his facts right. The Civil War comes alive and you almost feel like you are there as Foote covers just about every aspect of the war. And if he gets some things wrong or comes to a conclusion that you don't agree with, he writes well enough that you want to look up and dig deeper into the subjects.

I've read all 3 volumes 4 times through and will definitely read them again. A stunning achievement.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 01 Jun 13, 23:00
First Lieutenant
United_States

ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99] ElefantPanzer is on the path to success [1-99]
If I could have only one history book it would have to be the most important ever written, the Bible.
Old 02 Jun 13, 02:07
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400]
Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully.

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!
Old 02 Jun 13, 02:21
General
France

Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100] Delenda estRoma has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Impossibe to choose. I can't see how any person who has read enough books can actually choose among them.
Old 02 Jun 13, 03:22
ACG Forums - Morale Officer
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Slug has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
My favorite history book?

Old 02 Jun 13, 21:26
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400]
HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400] HMS Jr. has a spectacular aura about [400]
Plato's Republic pretty much summed matters for me in re Shakespeare's "What's passed is prologue" admonition.
Old 04 Jun 13, 03:27
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
There are a lot of great books out there but Bruce Catton's Pulitzer Prize winning trilogy on the Army of the Potomac (Mr. Lincoln's Army, Glory Road, and A Stillness At Appomatox) stands out for me.

Homer

BoRG
Old 04 Jun 13, 07:41
General of the Forums
Wales
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls SPQR Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Nick the Noodle has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Old 04 Jun 13, 09:12
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
Lyn Macdonalds series on the First World War.Until I read her "Somme" in the 80s I had been vaguely interested in military history.This one book seemed to act like a revelation.
I'm sure others feel the same about their favourites.
Old 04 Jun 13, 09:16
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
It's staring at me now Nick,proudly far too massive for my bookshelves.
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Jun 13, 10:09
General of the Forums
Armchair_General
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300] Wellington95 is on a distinguished road [300]
John Keegan's First World War

~Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"The trouble with Scotland...is that it's full of Scots!"
Old 04 Jun 13, 17:39
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
Impossibe to choose. I can't see how any person who has read enough books can actually choose among them.
I can.
Old 04 Jun 13, 17:53
General of the Forums - Donut Dolly
South_Vietnam
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Miss Saigon has achieved enlightenment [1200+]

Old 13 Jun 13, 18:17
Sergeant
UK

Hannibal B is on the path to success [1-99] Hannibal B is on the path to success [1-99]
Hannibal's War by John Lazenby.
Old 22 Jun 13, 13:29
Sergeant
United_States

BLHutch25 is on the path to success [1-99]
Do historical novels count? If so then my answer would be Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson.

My Blog

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!