StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games > World of Tanks

Notices and Announcements

World of Tanks Discuss the game and the Armchair General WoT clan.

Old 18 Apr 13, 07:44
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
I am a rather slow, dull player, so I thought a heavy would be good, something with tons of armor to compensate for my lack of skill and sense of self-preservation. Finesse and me never got along. A possible alternative would be artillery, merrily sitting back at the base, lobbing shells into the wide green yonder, but I fear this might require skill to hot anything and not to be counter-battery-fired.
No matter how much armor a tank has, it will not survive for long once it is spotted, especially if it isn't moving. Take advantage of the cover available using dead tanks, buildings, depressions in the ground, the large rocks that seem to be on nearly every map, etc. Playing Peek-a-Boo by exposing your tank in order to fire a shot and then ducking back behind cover will prolong your tank's life and possibly save it.

Self propelled guns don't lead the care-free existence you may think. While it's true they generally aren't exposed to direct fire from tanks and other arty, fast enemy light tanks scouting nearby are a terror to them. Once exposed by enemy scouts, it is imperative that SPGs relocate to a different position hidden from enemy view. Unless the scout is destroyed, this is nigh onto impossible to do. So what I usually attempt when playing as arty is to destroy the scout while positioning myself behind cover--usually a building if on a city map--to prevent an enemy arty from shelling me to death and the enemy scout from circling me. An arty has to be quick but also reasonably sure of its aim because it will normally only get one shot.

I hope that helps you out.
Old 18 Apr 13, 13:54
Lieutenant General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
You need gold ammo to do that effectively. Which sort of ruins its credit income.
I didn't spend a penny on gold ammo and I still managed to knock out 222 vehicles, including a max run of 10 one shot kills, in 186 battles. I also picked up a top gun medal (I only have 2 of them ) with it.

I don't know how that compares to decent players but for me that is far and away my best kill ratio (the only other vehicles that I have a greater than 1:1 kill per battle ratio are the Sturmpanzer II and Grille)

The only thing that used to worry me was the KV-1 but i very rarely found myself in battles with loads of Tier V never mind Tier VI enemies.
Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion—several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight.
Old 18 Apr 13, 14:45
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder76 View Post
I didn't spend a penny on gold ammo and I still managed to knock out 222 vehicles, including a max run of 10 one shot kills, in 186 battles. I also picked up a top gun medal (I only have 2 of them ) with it.

I don't know how that compares to decent players but for me that is far and away my best kill ratio (the only other vehicles that I have a greater than 1:1 kill per battle ratio are the Sturmpanzer II and Grille)

The only thing that used to worry me was the KV-1 but i very rarely found myself in battles with loads of Tier V never mind Tier VI enemies.

Was this pre-or post HE nerf?

You can get away with derping with the 105mm, but its several orders of magnitude more effective with HEAT.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 18 Apr 13, 15:14
Lieutenant General
Germany
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400]
Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400] Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400] Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400]
So I should play this as a cover-based shooter or a stealth game? Go to cover, go out and shoot, back to cover, rinse and repeat? Also, what can light tanks do against heavy tanks?
Old 18 Apr 13, 19:02
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
So I should play this as a cover-based shooter or a stealth game? Go to cover, go out and shoot, back to cover, rinse and repeat? Also, what can light tanks do against heavy tanks?
Light tanks can do one of two things: Kill them, or just spot them. If A light is spotting a enemy heavy then all his bigger mates can shoot the target.
A Scouting tank will receive a portion of the EXP from any damage caused on a target he lights up.

Killing them can take some hard work, but it can be done.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Apr 13, 01:58
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
So I should play this as a cover-based shooter or a stealth game? Go to cover, go out and shoot, back to cover, rinse and repeat?
Depends entirely on the circumstances. Hard cover (large buildings, large rocks) will protect you from enemy fire, but can be scarce on more open maps. Most maps have an abundance of bushes and trees to conceal you, but larger tanks can't make very effective use of them.

In general you want to either have hard cover or good concealment to help increase your survivability. Break cover to shoot and move between positions, but other than that, try to remain hidden. That being said, you don't want to camp at base or hide in a corner as your team dies. You want to move to strategically important areas of the map and get into good fighting positions.

Quote:
Also, what can light tanks do against heavy tanks?
Flank them and shoot them in the sides and or rear (although if your gun is really awful and their armor is really thick, then there's not much you can do), or use your superior view range and camo to spot them for allies to shoot at while remaining undetected.
Old 19 Apr 13, 13:06
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
....what can light tanks do against heavy tanks?
In addition to what Destroyer advised, it may be feasible to shoot out their tracks. You may not be able to kill a heavy tank with your light tank, but it is relatively easy for a light tank to shoot out the tracks of a heavy tank (depending on the tanks involved). And if you can keep them immobile long enough someone on your team should be able to kill them. If you can prevent them from moving long enough, your team's arty will have time to sight them in and drop some HE on their heads.

But if you are going to stay in close enough proximity to a heavy tank, keep maneuvering so it won't be able to target you. One shot from a heavy is usually all it takes to kill a light tank, so beware.
Old 21 Apr 13, 01:17
UK

A good time to join, apparently there's a new invite code:

WGGEAR

It only works on new accounts, and gives some gold, some premium and a Panzer 38H. But I warn you, that tank gets a very hostile matchmaking. Do not expect to win if you play it.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 21 Apr 13, 07:28
UK

I found the following video which covers some basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0znHSeDMU

I still think those are secondary skills to reading the map.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 21 Apr 13, 08:51
Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Speaking of gold, I always pay half price for anything costing gold in World of Tanks. Need a new garage slot? Get them when they are on sale for half price and pay 150 gold instead of 300. There are half price sales frequently on things selling for gold in WoT--at least those that I buy. If what you want to buy isn't on sale, it probably will be within a month. I don't know about Premium Ammo though; I never purchased any of that.
Old 22 Apr 13, 03:13
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
Speaking of gold, I always pay half price for anything costing gold in World of Tanks. Need a new garage slot? Get them when they are on sale for half price and pay 150 gold instead of 300. There are half price sales frequently on things selling for gold in WoT--at least those that I buy. If what you want to buy isn't on sale, it probably will be within a month. I don't know about Premium Ammo though; I never purchased any of that.
It was just on sale this weekend. I bought a bunch for my Soviet 85mm gun as I need it for when I get the T-43.
Old 22 Apr 13, 03:18
General of the Forums
Canada

Quote:
I found the following video which covers some basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0znHSeDMU

I still think those are secondary skills to reading the map.
Map reading is overall probably the most important skill to have, but it's also the most difficult thing to master. Learning and mastering hard skills is relatively easy. Becoming proficient at map deconstruction and map awareness is what really separates the good from the great players.

Just by having good hard skills you can easily become a 1500-1700 WN7, 54-59% WR player. What puts you into the 60-70%+ WR 1700-2000+ WN7 Unicum and Super Unicum bracket is solid strategic skills to compliment tactical proficiency.
Old 22 Apr 13, 05:27
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer25 View Post
Just by having good hard skills you can easily become a 1500-1700 WN7, 54-59% WR player. What puts you into the 60-70%+ WR 1700-2000+ WN7 Unicum and Super Unicum bracket is solid strategic skills to compliment tactical proficiency.
I do it the other way, Great map reading/watching the flow of battle, shitty tank driving, that gives me a 53% WR

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 22 Apr 13, 18:48
Lieutenant General
Scotland
5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Listy, watched some of that guys videos on you tube and the next thing I know this happens!

Now to find out if it was just a fluke
Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion—several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight.
Old 23 Apr 13, 02:42
General of the Forums
Canada

Quote:
I do it the other way, Great map reading/watching the flow of battle, shitty tank driving, that gives me a 53% WR
And I've been praised for my tactical skills and with decent map reading I have a 64% WR solo pub.

Tactics will get you 54%-59% easily, strategy gives you 60%+.

Knowing when and where you need to be in order to influence the battle means nothing if you don't actually have the skills to make that local impact. Whereas having the skills to make a local impact is basically a 50-50 toss up, depending on where the enemy decides to go. If they come at you in force and you can kill most of them you'll win, and if they hit the other flank you'll probably lose. But that's better than recognizing that you need to flex to a weak flank and then dieing because you don't know how to save it alone.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!