StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games > World of Tanks

Notices and Announcements

World of Tanks Discuss the game and the Armchair General WoT clan.

Old 14 Apr 13, 09:15
Lieutenant General
Germany
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400]
Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400] Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400] Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400]
Just started

Today I downloaded and installed the game. I did the tutorial and then hit the button "Battle". Much to my chagrin I was immediately dumped into one, I had hoped to just looked around. Naturally, I was killed after managing one hit. Is there any way to learn this game without inflicting myself on teammates?

EDIT: I think I understand the game a little bit better now, this thread can be deleted, my apologies.

Last edited by Acheron; 14 Apr 13 at 09:26..
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 14 Apr 13, 11:43
Brigadier General
United_States

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
There is no need to apologize. We all have to start the same way.

I hope you enjoy playing World of Tanks.
Old 14 Apr 13, 15:22
Lieutenant General
Germany

Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400] Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400] Acheron has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
I hope you enjoy playing World of Tanks.
Yes, except no. What I learned about the game was that you start with a bunch of bad light tanks. To get better tanks you need to spend points, which means spending real money or playing a lot of games with said horrible light tanks. In other words, unless you open your wallet wide, you get to be cannon fodder for an indeterminate amount of time. This sounds frankly less fun than burger-flipping job.
Old 15 Apr 13, 00:50
First Lieutenant
New_Zealand

Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99]
Which sadly is the case with most MMO games, big wallet or regular beatings to remind you to dig deep.
Old 15 Apr 13, 01:19
Lieutenant General
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baztanz View Post
Which sadly is the case with most MMO games, big wallet or regular beatings to remind you to dig deep.
I guess so, don't have much experience with MMO games, but I sure wish WoT had taken some pointers from League of Legends. As the guys from Extra Credits said, NEVER sell in-game power for real money.
Old 15 Apr 13, 15:32
Brigadier General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Starting out you will go through a lot of getting killed, just be glad you're starting now and not earlier when the game had so many kinks. Back then the tier spread was ridiculous with tanks like the M4 Sherman going up against the Type 59 or Löwe on a regular basis.

Since then though they fixed the tier spread problem and now everybody can get premium rounds with credits. Soon you won't need premium for other consumables or for being able to play with friends.

At low tiers you don't need to spend any money to win. Your vehicle will always make money and advancing up the tree will just take longer without premium.

Best thing to do is just try and enjoy the game if you can and never be in a rush to get killed. It will take a bit of time to find a style of play that suits you.

I take it you're on the EU server?
Old 15 Apr 13, 18:47
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Yes, except no. What I learned about the game was that you start with a bunch of bad light tanks. To get better tanks you need to spend points, which means spending real money or playing a lot of games with said horrible light tanks. In other words, unless you open your wallet wide, you get to be cannon fodder for an indeterminate amount of time. This sounds frankly less fun than burger-flipping job.
Of the many complaints one can level at WOT, this is not the case.

Bellow Tier 5 you'll make money credits. The first ten games are with people whom also have never played.
You don't need to use Gold ammo, normal Silver rounds will work just fine.

And the higher tier tanks aren't more fun. I have allot more tier 2 tanks in my garage than any other tier.

The biggest thing to do is get experience, and that's not the in game kind. Tier 3 is where the game gets harder, as at that tier you loose the fluffy matchmaker that you had in the previous tiers (unless your an arty piece), it used to be allot worse, believe it or not. Tier 3 you used to run into KV's with that damn broken 107mm gun.

You want to learn, find a mate and get into a training room. That way you can look round the maps, and learn how to shoot, camo systems and the like.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 16 Apr 13, 15:31
Lieutenant General
Germany

How does that Tier system even work? I assume that higher Tier tanks are simply more powerful, and if you have a lower Tier tank than your opponent, sucks to be you. Same if your opponent is able to afford a heavier tank than you. I am guess I am spoiled by League of Legends on how Multiplayer Online games can work.
Old 16 Apr 13, 23:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listy View Post
Of the many complaints one can level at WOT, this is not the case.

Bellow Tier 5 you'll make money credits. The first ten games are with people whom also have never played.
You don't need to use Gold ammo, normal Silver rounds will work just fine.

And the higher tier tanks aren't more fun. I have allot more tier 2 tanks in my garage than any other tier.

The biggest thing to do is get experience, and that's not the in game kind. Tier 3 is where the game gets harder, as at that tier you loose the fluffy matchmaker that you had in the previous tiers (unless your an arty piece), it used to be allot worse, believe it or not. Tier 3 you used to run into KV's with that damn broken 107mm gun.

You want to learn, find a mate and get into a training room. That way you can look round the maps, and learn how to shoot, camo systems and the like.
Pre-empted my response and perfectly said.

I keep some Tier 5 tanks around just for some fun and for credits. I recently sold my Tier 8 so I could concentrate on my Tier 7 tanks (and it wasn't very fun to play).

I have used real money a little bit, and only to get gold so I can transfer XP from tanks.

I find easy to buy with silver premium rounds annoying, and a bit of a balance upsetting mechanic, but it hasn't broken the game for me yet.

But it's still fun, if you have to patience to put up with the bad players mucking up a battle for you. Don't take the game too seriously, and you'll be fine Acheron.
Old 17 Apr 13, 04:05
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
How does that Tier system even work? I assume that higher Tier tanks are simply more powerful, and if you have a lower Tier tank than your opponent, sucks to be you. Same if your opponent is able to afford a heavier tank than you. I am guess I am spoiled by League of Legends on how Multiplayer Online games can work.

Sort of correct.

Tiers of tanks represent the development of the Tank, so Tier I's are from the mid to late 30's Tier 10's are around 1960.

However there is a balancing system called the match maker. The match maker has a list of rules and picks teams based upon those rules.

For example a tier I tank can only ever get in games with Tier I and II tanks. At worst you see tanks two tiers higher than yourself, and that's not a bad thing. If you damage a higher tier tank you get more experience points.

Note: Arty and scout tanks have different set of rules.

Nearly all the tanks you're going to meet can be beaten by the guns you carry. Some will require you to aim for the weak spots though, but you'll not need to worry about that until around Tier 5 tanks start showing up.

But don't worry in nearly all cases a light can use the camouflage system in game much better than a heavy can. A single well placed light tank hiding can win a game.
The other thing to consider is skill level of the player. about 80% of the player base don't use the Mini-map (bottom right of the screen). If you use that, and read the battle you'll do far better than people who are better shots than you or have bigger tanks. I'll see if I can find some replays later, so you can see what I mean.

What tree's are you looking at, and what tanks would you like to get?

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Sponsored Links

Old 17 Apr 13, 17:40
Lieutenant General
Germany

I am a rather slow, dull player, so I thought a heavy would be good, something with tons of armor to compensate for my lack of skill and sense of self-preservation. Finesse and me never got along. A possible alternative would be artillery, merrily sitting back at the base, lobbing shells into the wide green yonder, but I fear this might require skill to hot anything and not to be counter-battery-fired.
Old 17 Apr 13, 18:40
UK

Quote:
I am a rather slow, dull player, so I thought a heavy would be good, something with tons of armor to compensate for my lack of skill and sense of self-preservation. Finesse and me never got along. A possible alternative would be artillery, merrily sitting back at the base, lobbing shells into the wide green yonder, but I fear this might require skill to hot anything and not to be counter-battery-fired.

Which nationality?

If you want an armoured slab with a gun that can sand blast anything to death then the British AT-2 (Don't let the Tank destroyer fool you) is good, or a Matilda.
Later in the British heavy tree the Black prince is very well protected.

For Germans a good armoured tank is the Tiger P.

In lower tiers the French are the most heavily armoured in game. With the US T18 being just as well armoured, but trades a better gun for no turret.
On the German tree the Panzer II is well protected.

However there's tanks in all tree's that will fit your play style, and you can enjoy them. The issue is finding them.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 17 Apr 13, 22:33
Lieutenant General
Scotland
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500] Fodder76 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Get yourself a Hetzer with the BIG gun, a camo net, rammer and scope and find a nice bush to hide in.

It can and will kill with one shot anything (almost) you will come up against and its frontal armour is very decent.

I'm currently grinding up the Soviet medium route in a BT7 but I don't know how to find folk in the game.

Mind you, probably just as well give how bad I am
Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion—several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn’t straight.
Old 18 Apr 13, 05:25
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
WoT is a very easy game, not at all difficult to pick up if you make the effort.

The most difficult part is just understanding the game mechanics, playing it isn't much more than point and click, although if you want to excel at you'll have to put a little more thought into it.

I'd suggest reading through the game mechanics to start with, so you don't end up like all the 44%er pubbies crying about invisible tanks. Having a working understanding of tank warfare will help you as well.

Once you've got a grasp of the camo and spotting mechanics, among other things, think about what type of tanks you'd most like to play. Obviously this is easier said than done if you haven't tried any of them yet, but just on the theoretical level, what style of play do you think would suit you better?

Slow, well armed and armored heavies?

Faster, more versatile mediums?

Speedy, lightly armed and armored light tanks/scouts?

Elusive, well armed TDs?

Or Fair and Balanced™ SPGs. (That was a joke btw, Artillery is criticized for being overpowered. Mostly because when you have awful artillery players on your team they can't hit the broad side of the barn, and when there are bad artillery players on the enemy team they always get lucky and one shot you.)

Now, once you'd figured out which style you'd most like, you need to figure out which of said lines in which Nation's Tech Tree you wish to advance along.

Obviously there are major differences between the tank classes, but there are also differences between the same classes of tanks within different Nations.

Soviet Heavies are aggressive assault tanks, German Heavies are long range snipers and defenders, and US heavies are more versatile.

*Note that the characteristics of tanks in any given branch due change considerably between the lower tiers and higher tiers, but in general they tend to share similar characteristics.

So, once you've identified a niche you're interested in, start playing the Tier I tank of that nation until you can research and buy the Tier II tank of that line, which should only take 5-10 battles, if that.
Old 18 Apr 13, 07:36
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder76 View Post
Get yourself a Hetzer with the BIG gun, a camo net, rammer and scope and find a nice bush to hide in.
You need gold ammo to do that effectively. Which sort of ruins its credit income.

How to find people:
On the bottom left of the screen is a button marked "Contacts". Select the "find contacts" tab and you can search for them. Once you've found the person you want, right click and use the "Add to your friends list" option.

Now when you open the Contacts tab you can see whom is online, and who isn't.

I'll be on this afternoon, on EU2 server*, if you want to say hello I can give you a hand on learning stuff.

My user name is "Listy". However my name has clan tags after it, so the name will appear as "Listy [OAP]".

*To select your server:
On the login screen, above your Email address there's another box. It will probably say "Auto". Use the Arrow on the right of the box to pick which server you use.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!