HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Civil War

Notices and Announcements

American Civil War The American Civil War.

Old 19 Mar 13, 07:48
General of the Forums
UK
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous gives and gets respect [800] Selous gives and gets respect [800]
Sourcing the quote; fustest/furstest with the mostest

Hello,
Does anyone have a citation for the Nathan Bedford Forrest quote about timely arrival in force? I can't seem to find it anywhere in my ACW books but the quote would be very handy for my work on time/timing in war.

Thank you kindly,
'Lord Palmerston!' - Barney Gumble
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Mar 13, 08:05
Captain
United_States

Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99]
Maybe this will help.

Quote:
Quotes by General Forrest

Origin of "First With the Most"

The real and correct quote of Confederate General N. B. Forrest concerning "first with the most" came during a discussion between Forrest and Generals Basil Duke & John Hunt Morgan during the middle part of the war (1862). The quote was promptly spread by his men, and then reaffirmed in a post war interview with a northern newspaper reporter.

In the first interview at Murfreesboro, TN, Forrest was asked by Duke & Morgan to what he attributed his stunning success. The General replied that he "just got there first with the most men." Of course, Forrest rarely had the most men, but was adept at finding the weak point and bursting upon it with an overpowering thrust with more men than the enemy had at that point. From this the legend grew and was spread by friend and foe alike.

In the postwar interview, this again came up and Forrest replied "I was just first with the most." Later biographers, inferring that Forrest was raised in the backwoods and would have used more of a 'cracker Southern dialect' transformed the quote into "get thar fustest with the mostest." In 1918, Sir Frederick Maurice, during WW1 writings, properly attributed the motto correctly, but the folklore version was thoroughly implanted and sticks with the General today. In 1944, author Robert Henry's book "First With the Most" reintroduced the correct formal quote to modern historians.

So today, the slang version is still used along with the correct one.
http://www.tennessee-scv.org/Forrest...ty/quotes.html

Last edited by Jack Torrance; 19 Mar 13 at 22:03.. Reason: placed quote tags
Old 19 Mar 13, 08:28
Sergeant Major
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

midaeu is on the path to success [1-99] midaeu is on the path to success [1-99] midaeu is on the path to success [1-99] midaeu is on the path to success [1-99]
Great job jack.
Old 19 Mar 13, 08:37
General of the Forums
UK

Thank you, I think I have something by Morris kicking around so I might be able to find it citabel there too - thanks again
Old 19 Mar 13, 08:59
General of the Forums
UK

Maurice, even
Teach me to look more carefully;

‘To one who once asked him to what he attributed his victories he answered, ‘ I get there fustest with the mostest men.’ There we have in eight words the gist of many volumes of Jomini and Clausewitz’ –
Maurice, F. Robert E. Lee the Soldier (First Edition. Boston, MA. Houghton Mifflin Company. 1925) – PP. 21

Again thanks!

Last edited by Selous; 20 Mar 13 at 06:09..
Old 19 Mar 13, 09:33
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100] B7B Southern has demonstrated strength of character [100]

http://trompingthebattlefields.com -
Old 19 Mar 13, 09:43
General of the Forums
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by B7B Southern View Post
Old 19 Mar 13, 10:30
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 

hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800] hellboy30 gives and gets respect [800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Torrance View Post
Maybe this will help.

Quotes by General Forrest

Origin of "First With the Most"

The real and correct quote of Confederate General N. B. Forrest concerning "first with the most" came during a discussion between Forrest and Generals Basil Duke & John Hunt Morgan during the middle part of the war (1862). The quote was promptly spread by his men, and then reaffirmed in a post war interview with a northern newspaper reporter.

In the first interview at Murfreesboro, TN, Forrest was asked by Duke & Morgan to what he attributed his stunning success. The General replied that he "just got there first with the most men." Of course, Forrest rarely had the most men, but was adept at finding the weak point and bursting upon it with an overpowering thrust with more men than the enemy had at that point. From this the legend grew and was spread by friend and foe alike.

In the postwar interview, this again came up and Forrest replied "I was just first with the most." Later biographers, inferring that Forrest was raised in the backwoods and would have used more of a 'cracker Southern dialect' transformed the quote into "get thar fustest with the mostest." In 1918, Sir Frederick Maurice, during WW1 writings, properly attributed the motto correctly, but the folklore version was thoroughly implanted and sticks with the General today. In 1944, author Robert Henry's book "First With the Most" reintroduced the correct formal quote to modern historians.

So today, the slang version is still used along with the correct one.

http://www.tennessee-scv.org/Forrest...ty/quotes.html
I'd say that Jack got here firstest with the mostest information!
Old 19 Mar 13, 11:05
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+] R. Evans has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy30 View Post
I'd say that Jack got here firstest with the mostest information!

Yep and good info at that.
You better listen to Mr. Hate
Old 19 Mar 13, 22:10
Captain
United_States

Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99] Jack Torrance is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks guys. Just want to make sure that I'm not the author of the info but the provider of the source.

Selous, that was an interesting question. I didn't know where "fustest with the mosted" originated from although I was aware Forrest hadn't exactly said it that way. Now I know

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!