HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Vietnam War

Notices and Announcements

Vietnam War The Battle for Vietnam. .

Old 03 Mar 13, 10:10
Sergeant
Venezuela

colonel kilgore is on the path to success [1-99]
The power of the flamethrower in the Vietnam war

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 03 Mar 13, 10:22
Sergeant
Venezuela

The United States Marines used flamethrowers in the Korean and Vietnam Wars. The M132 Armored Flamethrower, an M113 armored personnel carrier with a mounted flame thrower was successfully used in the conflict.

Flamethrowers have not been in the U.S. arsenal since 1978, when the Department of Defense unilaterally stopped using them. They have been deemed of questionable effectiveness in modern combat and the use of flame weapons is always a public relations issue due to the horrific death they inflict. They are not banned in any international treaty the U.S. has signed, thus the U.S. decision to remove flamethrowers from its arsenal is entirely voluntary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamethr...

Napalm is a thickening/gelling agent generally mixed with petroleum or a similar fuel for use in an incendiary device, primarily as an anti-personnel weapon. "Napalm" is a combination of the names of two of the constituents of the gel: naphthenic acid and palmitic acid.

The US Air Force and US Navy used napalm with great effect against all kinds of targets to include troops, tanks, buildings, jungles, and even railroad tunnels. The effect was not always purely physical as napalm had psychological effects on the enemy as well. During World War II, the U.S. Marines quickly learned that the Japanese soldiers, when threatened with napalm and other incendiary weapons, would abandon positions in which they would fight to the death against other weapons. During the Korean War, the demoralizing effect napalm had on the enemy became apparent when scores of North Korean and Chinese troops began to surrender to aircraft flying overhead. Pilots noted that they saw surviving enemy troops waving white flags on subsequent passes after dropping napalm. The pilots radioed to ground troops and the enemy combatants were captured. Interviews with enemy prisoners of war determined that napalm was the most feared weapon used against them.

More recent uses include: by France during the First Indochina War (1946--1954), the Algerian War (1954--1962), the Portuguese Colonial War (1961--1974) and the Western Sahara War (1975--1991),The Six days war by Israel (1967), in Nigeria (1969), India and Pakistan (1965 and 1971), Turkey during the invasion of Cyprus (1974), by Morocco during the Western Sahara War (1975--1991), Iran (1980--88), Brazil (1972), Egypt (1973), Iraq (1980--88, 1991, 2003--2011), Angola (1993), Yugoslavia (1991-1996), and by Argentina (1982). "Napalm is the most terrible pain you can imagine," said Kim Phc, a napalm bombing survivor known from a famous Vietnam War photograph. "Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius (212F). Napalm generates temperatures of 800 (1,500F) to 1,200 degrees Celsius (2,200F)."

A US army source, talking about napalm, reported: 'We sure are pleased with those backroom boys at Dow. The original product wasn't so hot - if the gooks were quick they could scrape it off. So the boys started adding polystyrene - now it sticks like **** to a blanket. But if the gooks jumped under water it stopped burning, so they started adding Willie Peter (white phosphorus) so's to make it burn better. And just one drop is enough, it'll keep on burning right down to the bone so they die anyway from phosphorus poisoning.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napalm

Last edited by colonel kilgore; 03 Mar 13 at 10:30..
Old 03 Mar 13, 11:29
Banned
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Is it legal to own a flamethrower for personal use?
Old 03 Mar 13, 11:42
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri is simply cracking [600]
Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600] Karri is simply cracking [600]
Dangerous things. I remember one WW2 vet tell us about his experience. I think it was either him, or someone else in his squad/platoon, who accidentally burned one of their own guys because the mouthpiece was damaged and the flame went to wrong direction. Or maybe someone blew up using them...anyways, very dangerous guns to those on the receiving end.

Rules have purpose. The time to break them is when the purpose is no longer served.
Old 03 Mar 13, 12:05
Sergeant
Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mann III View Post
Flamethrowers have not been in the U.S. arsenal since 1978, when the Department of Defense unilaterally stopped using them. They have been deemed of questionable effectiveness in modern combat and the use of flame weapons is always a public relations issue due to the horrific death they inflict. They are not banned in any international treaty the U.S. has signed, thus the U.S. decision to remove flamethrowers from its arsenal is entirely voluntary.
Old 03 Mar 13, 13:30
Banned
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
SPQR Campaign 

Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Paul Mann III has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel kilgore View Post
That doesn't really answer my question.

Can I own a flamethrower for my personal use?
Old 03 Mar 13, 13:58
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou is simply cracking [600]
lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600]
As I recall, we had two flamethrowers in the A-502 arms room, both of German manufacture/ The Engineers occasionally used them to burn off brush near some of our outposts.

I don't see much difference in using flamethrowers, napalm, or fugasse type mines. They all crispy-critter those caught in their fire.

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!
Old 03 Mar 13, 14:01
Sergeant
Venezuela

Quote:

If you live in a remote jungle where there is no civilization laws and lawyers, I think that maybe you can use it for your self defense
Old 04 Mar 13, 13:57
General of the Forums
Powflag
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800] DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800]
DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800] DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800] DeltaOne gives and gets respect [800]
All I can say is that I am sure happy I NEVER had to wear one of those things on my back. Kudos to those that did though!
Old 04 Mar 13, 14:17
Sergeant Major
United_States

nbrooks503 is on the path to success [1-99] nbrooks503 is on the path to success [1-99] nbrooks503 is on the path to success [1-99] nbrooks503 is on the path to success [1-99] nbrooks503 is on the path to success [1-99] nbrooks503 is on the path to success [1-99] nbrooks503 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:

That would depend on the Country you live in.

If you live in the UK - a flamethrower is prohibited for personal use.

If you live in the US - possession of a flamethrower is governed by State law, which may or may not prohibit possession. Federally there is no prohibition against possession of a flamethrower under the National Firearms Act.
Wannabe Concert and Sports Photographer
Sponsored Links

Old 04 Mar 13, 15:57
Gunnery Sergeant
UK

Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99] Rob Connolly is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Problems with your neighbours?
Old 04 Mar 13, 17:04
Sergeant
Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Connolly View Post
Problems with your neighbours?
having a flamethrower at home to defend themselves from the neighbors is something not very healthy people mentally
Old 04 Mar 13, 17:25
Major
United_States

MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100] MontanaKid has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Never saw a flamethrower used in my battalion, 1/46th Americal. I guess that's because we were light infantry.
No one has greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends John 15:13
Old 08 Mar 13, 14:55
Sergeant
Venezuela

Old 08 Mar 13, 17:37
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

lirelou is simply cracking [600]
lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600] lirelou is simply cracking [600]
Interesting video. Nowhere is it mentioned that the napalm in question was dropped by a Vietnamese Air Force aircraft, responding to a call for close air support from a Vietnamese Infantry unit in contact with the VC or NVA ( I suspect NVA, but after 1968 many VC main force units were manned with NVA fillers) who had dug their defensive positions within her village.

Commanders in combat, on either side, tended to do whatever was necessary to save their men and defeat the enemy.

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!