HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 31 Jan 13, 21:21
Recruit
UK

Lordcockney is a balanced individual [0]
do you prefer newer strategy games to older strategy games

Discuss?
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 06 Feb 13, 07:26
First Sergeant
United_States

Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99]
I don't really have a preference either way. I think it really depends on the individual game in question.

Now it's true that older strategy titles are more likely to hold a special place in my heart, but I think that's as much due to the nostalgia factor as their quality of gameplay. Not that a lot of my older games don't also boast great gameplay, but I'll admit certain old favorites -- Birth of the Federation comes most immediately to mind -- aren't really that great from an objective view, and in fact have long been surpassed by other strategy titles in terms of gameplay, mechanics, features, etc.

Similarly, while there are newer strategy games out there that I feel have focused too much on flash versus substance (e.g., graphics/visuals), I also feel that most do place the focus on where it belongs, which is better mechanics, gameplay, user-friendliness etc. We gamers often deride newer PC titles for one reason or another, but at least in the strategy genre, developers are generally just as dedicated and inventive as they've always been.
Old 06 Feb 13, 08:45
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
One of my all time favorite is "Sudden Strike" Old, old graphics but still had some of the best scenarios. I wish I could get it to run on 7. While I have some of the newer games as well I keep drifting back to AoE III

FB 327 th ASD/ADD 165th Avn Grp RVN

NO one wins a war!!!! They just lose less.
Old 14 Feb 13, 15:05
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

StellarRat is on the path to success [1-99] StellarRat is on the path to success [1-99]
I prefer good strategy games old or new. Too me it's more about a good game system and AI than fancy graphics and sound. I'm still playing CIV IV on a daily basis.
Old 28 Feb 13, 03:09
Recruit
United_States

Bludy is a balanced individual [0]
Still think east front II is great. Also playing Airborne Assault: Conquest of the Aegean. Just started but it just feels good, know what i mean?
Old 28 Feb 13, 09:38
General
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign SPQR Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is simply cracking [600]
Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600] Arthwys is simply cracking [600]
Generally I prefer the older strategy games. Hey John I don't know if you've tried it but many older games will run on 7 if you use compatibility mode or an XP Virtual PC.
Old 28 Feb 13, 11:57
First Sergeant
England

grishnak is on the path to success [1-99] grishnak is on the path to success [1-99]
stratagy games

I am still playing Cossacks and Company of Heroes,old and newish.Used to be really hooked on Aof E, dont know if it will play on modern platforms,thought the later games in the series were a deterioration.
Old 19 Mar 13, 06:16
Major
Australia

Blakdust has demonstrated strength of character [100] Blakdust has demonstrated strength of character [100] Blakdust has demonstrated strength of character [100] Blakdust has demonstrated strength of character [100] Blakdust has demonstrated strength of character [100] Blakdust has demonstrated strength of character [100] Blakdust has demonstrated strength of character [100] Blakdust has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Being a huge total war fan since shogun1 imo its gone downhill since medieval2

heroes of might an magic seems to get worse an worse

Warcaft 2 an AOE2 was the pinnacle of the that type of RTS the only similar game I liked a lot since then is company of heroes

Grand strategy an operation type games seem to be getting better to me but I never did play them much when I was younger so maybe its just me
Old 19 Mar 13, 06:22
General of the Forums
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600]
Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600] Arnold J Rimmer is simply cracking [600]
Everyone probably already knows this, but Good Old Games sells a lot of the old games with the patches and tweaks for new platforms, and generally very cheaply.

www.gog.com
Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.
Old 19 Mar 13, 06:34
General
Sweden
5 Year Service Ribbon 

leandros is on the path to success [1-99] leandros is on the path to success [1-99] leandros is on the path to success [1-99] leandros is on the path to success [1-99] leandros is on the path to success [1-99] leandros is on the path to success [1-99] leandros is on the path to success [1-99]
What is an "old" game? Sid Meyer's Gettysburg is still a favourite of mine. Probably more tactical than strategical, though.....

Fred

Old 21 Mar 13, 10:24
First Lieutenant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99] Charger is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandros View Post
What is an "old" game? Sid Meyer's Gettysburg is still a favourite of mine. Probably more tactical than strategical, though.....

Fred
SMG and SMA are classics that I still play a lot. I'll never get bored of them. There are plenty of maps, scenarios, and mods too. Great stuff.
Old 31 Mar 13, 10:22
Banned
United_States

Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200]
I love older games. Basically the only PC games I played until recently were the Age of Empires series. Age 2 is the gold standard, and with good reason. A lot of people were down on Age 3, but I still play it quite often. I know it didn't exactly innovate, but it looked gorgeous and I love the Age of Discovery/Early Modern time period.

I also loved the Caesar and Civil War series from Sierra. I still have my cd of the first Civl War Generals. I can't get it to run on a modern machine, but I can't bring myself to throw it away, either.
Old 13 May 13, 15:33
Private
Turkey

dargman69 is a balanced individual [0]
I prefer good strategy games old or new. Too me it's more about a good game system and AI than fancy graphics and sound. I'm still playing CIV IV on a daily basis.
Old 27 Jul 13, 22:08
Brigadier General
United_States
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400] MetalDog has a spectacular aura about [400]
HPJ and Shoeless, if you ever feel the itch for some AoE III multiplayer, let me know. Me and a couple of buddies don't play any now, but we used to play quite a bit and I know they would love to throw down.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!