StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 26 Jan 13, 08:00
Private
Sweden

Maxio is a balanced individual [0]
World war 2 online (MMOFPS) is Free to play!

Hey ppl !

I found your awsome forum and have been browsing it, seems like a very nice forum to my liking ! Anyways i thought i would do a post about the ww2 game i love to play, here are some quick bullet points about the game. As some of you might know, the game has gone Free to play, i will also include a Free to play review from The Historical Gamer .

Signup / Download: http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/in...-signupstaging

http://youtu.be/U3G9Nzx0wgM <-- Review by The Historical Gamer

* Thousands of players
* Emulates real physic ballistics
* No hitpoints, hit the tank in the right place and he will explode, hit in the wrong place, wrong angle and round will just bounce off
* 24/7 (scale 1:2 of Northern Europe) Huge Persistant map, with no zones.
* Player run High command and Brigade movements
* Attrition plays a real factor, if you die it will take 7 hours for that soldier, tank or plane to be replaced.
* Combined Arms warfare - Inf, Tank, Air (even some navy, like destroyers)
* Allied countries: Britain (BEF), France, USA (comes in later in the campaign)
* Axis countries: Germany

Hope to see you in the virtual battlefield !
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 01 Feb 13, 09:44
Private
Sweden

Im going to copy an explaination given by one of the developers of the game.Where he answers a question why it would be hard to implement a new game engine to the game, and what "our" current game engine actually can do (wich is ALOT).

**Start Quote**

Quote:
"Sometimes you have to realize it's more than just what the game would look like with this engine or that engine. This is not a "can do" or "cannot do" statement, since we are not in a position to evaluate the enormous amount of work in plugging our back end/networking/host and database into a new client architecture incorporating this engine no statement (definitive) can be made of it's feasibility.

I just want to caution the lay point of view, created by imagining the WWIIOL gameplay you undertake frequently and placing it into "that gameworld" you see demonstrated. There's way more going on than that.

As a good example, when Mechwarrior Onlines dev's decided to use the Cry engine, it was because it looked stunning (to them) and they imagined what the game would be like in "that" world. Theirs is a modeern day build and not 13 years old like ours is. However, they are in deep trouble now because they are limited to 4 vs 4 combatents on the basis of all the network layer and DoF's and ordnance tracking in a real time environment of high end graphics totally chundering gameplay to unplayable levels. They still can't do what your game engine (WWIIOL) does every day and every night you play in it.

We run a maximum use case of 64 vs 64 (visible in a 50/50 split, it can dynamically bias all the way down to 2 vs 126 if need be) in WWIIOL ... with full ballitsics tracking of individual rounds at as high as 10000 RPM or more ... plotting and rendering in real time closure rates as high as almost 800 mph ... simultaneously down to crawl speed, for all players within the 128 veiwable render pipeline, instantly. With all ballistic and ordance effects, and the not inconsiderable DoF tracking for all vehicles (this is crippling Mechwarrior Online) in real time as well. Over a 4,000 sq.meter viewable and ballistically viable area. All in real time, with a resolution rate of less than 1 second.

Couple this with the backend/network code and all the database calls that are running over the pipe to and from the game engine ... and you have a lot more to contend with than just "what it looks like" which is what you are generally doing when you look at that demo, fool around with it, and imagine WWIIOL running in it.

It may indeed be possible (with enough money/men/time anything is possible) but I just want you to realize it might not be the match made in heaven your imagination thinks it is. It might even prove worse than your current experience in WWIIOL if performance was poor enough.

Whichever result would eventually prove true, it would be a mountain of work to match them up. Not cheap at all.

I'm not saying "impossible" or not ... or that it would or wouldn't perform better, or well enough to do the job. I can totally see how it would look great, but there's way more to it than that. Mechwarrior Online is discovering this as we speak. There's no way they could ever get 64 mechs versus 64 mechs to function like 64 tanks vs 64 tanks can in WWIIOL, or aircraft, or infantry, or even boats, or a combination of all of them, as you have grown accustomed to now, for over a decade.

So, while it could work out nicely, there's just as big a chance it wouldn't work out at all. There's more going on here than just upping the visual drool factor. "
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh" - Voltaire
"Life sucks sometimes, being miserable NEVER makes it suck less" - Grandpa
"A critic without understanding is like a baby without a bottle" - me
"Mockery is the bullet of self loathing"
** End Quote **
Old 02 Feb 13, 10:14
Private
Sweden

New 2013 WW2OL Trailer http://youtu.be/U3G9Nzx0wgM
Old 13 Feb 13, 19:51
Private First Class
Spain

modelsofwar is on the path to success [1-99]
Graphical villains I think
Old 19 Apr 13, 21:33
Private First Class
Brazil

wargamerbrasil is on the path to success [1-99]
Ive tried this some time ago, but my lag was killing me more then the enemies... so Ive needed to quit...
Old 20 Apr 13, 00:50
Banned
United_States

Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200] Shoeless is walking in the light [200]
I wanted to give this game a try, but it doesn't support an integrated graphics mode.

You heard right, folks...my PC won't run a game from 2001.

Old 20 Feb 14, 10:06
Private
Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I wanted to give this game a try, but it doesn't support an integrated graphics mode.

You heard right, folks...my PC won't run a game from 2001.

Well, they do not support integrated cards especially the intel based chip. If you have a laptop that doesnt use intel chip graphics it will work fine though.

Also works fine on a desktop computer with dedicated graphics card. Allthough the game is from 2001 alot of updates has happened to it. If you took the time to read the post i pasted here, from one of the developers, you'd understand this is not your regular shoe box shooter, much more complex game then those twitch games.
Old 25 Feb 14, 23:10
Corporal
United_States

Der Sonderweg is on the path to success [1-99]
Still a big fan of this game. The fact that it has survived this long is a testament to the unique experience it provides. I cannot stress that enough, there is *literally* no other game like it on the market.
Old 10 Apr 15, 11:56
Private
Sweden

http://www.battlegroundeurope.net/getting-started

This is the new signup page.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!