StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Modern Wars & Warfare

Notices and Announcements

Modern Wars & Warfare General discussion on war. Topics that are not covered in any of our sub-forums below. .

Old 05 Apr 13, 21:28
Major General
Australia
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200]
If 'we' have heroes what do 'they' have?....fanatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Exorcist View Post

What about them?
They have countries of their own. If they don't get the respect they deserve there, its a reflection on that nation, not my own.
And not necessarily a reflection on the Veterans themselves, either.
The Vietnamese would absolutely respect the vets who were on the winning side. Where on earth did you get the idea they wouldn't?

The Japanese and German situation is far more complicated, as of course they served a vile cause, they lost and the whole issue is tainted by the atrocities committed by servicemen and women (and yes of course there are those who would say the NVA and VC served a vile cause and committed atrocities as well).

However this does not mean the issue of German and Japanese heroes should not be raised and robustly discussed.

Sure as heck will be in any tute I’m running.
Hopefully there’ll be a full range of opinions:
from those saying ‘they’ were just like ‘us’
to those who say there was a fundamental difference between, for example, an American hero defending Wake island in Dec ’41 and….
a Japanese fanatic defending Tarawa in Nov 1943
or Iwo Jima in March ’45 (were they all heroes? Both garrisons died virtually to a man….... like the defenders of the Alamo).

Just gotta be careful how I handle it (if it does eventuate).

Regards lodestar
Old 05 Apr 13, 22:08
Gunnery Sergeant
Canada

JAGDPANTHER88 is on the path to success [1-99] JAGDPANTHER88 is on the path to success [1-99] JAGDPANTHER88 is on the path to success [1-99] JAGDPANTHER88 is on the path to success [1-99]
Post Winners have heros. Losers? "Not so much..."

It's our mass media that makes heros what they are today.
Were it not for that, those people would be heros only within
their own tribe.

And "history is written by the winners".

Up here there's a cenotaph in every town, but not so in Germany.
I saw one in a village in Italy, but it was all 'heros' from WWI
(when they were amongst the 'winners'. I think).

Old 05 Apr 13, 22:12
Regimental Sergeant Major of the Forums
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGDPANTHER88 View Post
their own tribe.

'There are no winners in war,only survivors'. lcm1

I was in when they needed 'em,not feeded 'em.
" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 06 Apr 13, 01:10
Major General
Australia

lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200] lodestar is walking in the light [200]
What about hostages shot during the ocupation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGDPANTHER88 View Post
their own tribe.

Interesting that approach.

Like i said at the start of this thread

" I'll be in France next [this] year (hopefully) and hope to visit some graves at military cemeteries am wondering if I should raise the matter of the status of the ‘ole grand-uncles in WWI again?
My cousin was a teacher (including history) for about forty years and would find this discussion very interesting.

Also had relatives taken hostage and executed by German occupying forces (in retaliation for attacks in the area on German forces) as well as some killed in the resistance (armed with friggin’ hunting shotguns and those bloody awful stens according to family legend!) and never heard them called ‘heroes’."

Regards lodestar
Old 06 Apr 13, 01:45
Gunnery Sergeant
Canada

JAGDPANTHER88 is on the path to success [1-99] JAGDPANTHER88 is on the path to success [1-99] JAGDPANTHER88 is on the path to success [1-99] JAGDPANTHER88 is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcm1 View Post
'There are no winners in war,only survivors'. lcm1
Yeah. War is not about who's right, just who's left.
Old 05 Aug 13, 08:54
Major General
Australia

This issue as a possible tute topic?

Have to come up with 20 - 30 tute topic suggestions by the end of 2015.
Fully developed and fleshed out.

Of which (if I know my old cronies) ten will be considered as possibly suitable.

Five of those ten will be gutted and ideas stolen from by cronies.
Remaining five will be accepted, then completely changed around.

I'll get to run one if I'm lucky the way I want.

Need some suggestions on suitable topics or sub-topics.

How would posters feel about this issue as a possible tute topic?

Too touchy? (lots of folks get pretty huffy when you tell 'em NOT EVERYONE ON OUR SIDE WAS A HERO!)

Been done before? (probably in some US progressive campuses but I'd put my own slant on it)

Too nuanced, complex and multi-layered for a modern student body? (sorry, couldn't help myself!!)

Regards lodestar
Old 05 Aug 13, 14:30
Major General
United_States
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600]
Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600] Desiree Clary is simply cracking [600]
I think that as a social history of WWII it might be interesting. The Good War by Studs Terkel would be a good resource, IMO. It was sure an eye=opener for me.
And battles long ago:
-William Wordsworth, "The Solitary Reaper"
Old 05 Aug 13, 14:45
General of the Forums
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]  [+1]
Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Half Pint John has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Today, hero has become all but meaningless. I get a ladder and get some damn cat out of a tree, some twit would say I'm a hero.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

'half-baked, spurious nationalism'
Old 05 Aug 13, 19:48
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500] holly6 is a jewel in the rough [500]
I to have a problem with the term "hero" being applied to an entire group of people. To me, it's always been an individual term based upon a particular action. Query: If once you have been considered a hero, do you retain that honor all your life?
Old 05 Aug 13, 20:49
Staff Sergeant
Australia
Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Porty is on the path to success [1-99] Porty is on the path to success [1-99] Porty is on the path to success [1-99] Porty is on the path to success [1-99]
Interestingly enough, I have never met a vet that described him or herself as a hero. The only mention of the word 'hero' (and even then it's been pretty rare) that I've heard among vets is reserved for the people that didn't make it back.

I think that most veterans would view themselves (regardless of their roles) as having just done their job in a tough situation, trying their best to get themselves and their mates out in one piece while doing the job they were sent to do.

Regards,

Porty
Sponsored Links

Old 05 Aug 13, 21:29
Australia
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign 

lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] lcm1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodestar View Post
Has democratization of World War histories made use of the term ‘heroes’ increasingly meaningless
Look maybe it’s just me.
Maybe the thought of going back to tertiary studies in a couple of years has simply made me deliberately look for provocative potential issues to ‘run’ with and to always question popular perceptions of issues
I stress, I (boy do I love that word …. ‘I’… it just kinda feels right whenever I use it….. bloody marvellous!) AM NOT repeat NOT posting this as a deliberate wind up or inflammatory diatribe.

But of late I’ve become increasingly uneasy with the widespread, almost arbitrary use of the term ‘heroes’ when the mass media (at least in the so-called ‘Anglosphere’) refers to the WWI and WWII ‘generations’.

It struck me most strongly in a recent visit to a local newsagency when I was pursuing the history magazine section.
There were three genealogical mags and each featured a cover and lead article on tracing family military. Each article had an emotive title along the lines of
“Tracing your World War II hero ancestors”, “Find your Great War family heroes” etc.

Other magazines peddle stuff something like: “The hero housewives of Bromley -by-Bow, how they faced butter rationing and working in factories”. Get the idea.

Anyone else find this stuff a bit galling?

Then there’s tabloid TV shows featuring segments that, for example in Australia, refer to anything whatsoever to do with World War II veterans as being about “our Aussie heroes”.

Now I’m not suggesting for a moment that we don’t honour men and women of the “greatest generation” (a very recent term by the way)
Just that the whole thing is getting out of hand,

Perhaps a personal anecdote may help illustrate what I’m getting at:
I remember clearly when visiting relatives in France some thirty years ago and we were discussing grand- uncles etc who had fallen in WWI.
I told them they surely must be really proud of the heroes.

They all looked a little aghast and responded, if I remember correctly with something like:
“Oh, hell no they weren’t heroes. Jean and Pierre just got machine gunned attacking some Kraut trench at Verdun.

Sebastian was killed when the Germans overran his platoon’s position in 1918.

A snipper got Etienne when he was cutting some bloody wire on the Somme.
Cripes just blokes doing their job. Nothing heroic!”

I was a little taken aback and didn’t pursue it but the story always stuck with me. Things have certainly changed and now days I suppose there would be an automatic assumption that these guys would be heroes.

What do other posters think?
Is the term ‘heroes’being overused?

Regards lodestar
Hi ls,no what has made the word heroes meaningless,is,the use of the word for popstars and sportsman and who are the villains of the piece? Why the media reporters of course!! lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 05 Aug 13, 21:31
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porty View Post
Interestingly enough, I have never met a vet that described him or herself as a hero. The only mention of the word 'hero' (and even then it's been pretty rare) that I've heard among vets is reserved for the people that didn't make it back.

I think that most veterans would view themselves (regardless of their roles) as having just done their job in a tough situation, trying their best to get themselves and their mates out in one piece while doing the job they were sent to do.

Regards,

Porty
Absolutely correct Porty, lcm1

" Youuu 'Orrible Lot!"
Old 07 Aug 13, 05:42
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
Australia
Distinguished Service Award - 2nd Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] panther3485 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pint John View Post
Today, hero has become all but meaningless. I get a ladder and get some damn cat out of a tree, some twit would say I'm a hero.
Agree totally. In more recent years, the word has been over-used and misused to the point of absurdity.
"England expects that every man will do his duty!" (English crew members had better get ready for a tough fight against the combined French and Spanish fleets because that's what England expects! However, Scotland, Wales and Ireland appear to expect nothing so the Scottish, Welsh and Irish crew members can relax below decks if they like!)
Old 07 Aug 13, 06:23
General of the Forums
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+] copenhagen has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The problem is that people like him doing this are called heroic...

Old 07 Aug 13, 06:36
ACG Forums - General Staff
Armchair_General
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] Andy H has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by panther3485 View Post
Agree totally. In more recent years, the word has been over-used and misused to the point of absurdity.
Hi

I agree and I blame the lazy journalists & media outlets for its over use & misuse, in the scramble for sensational headlines.

However I also think that most people can differentiate between a war hero, a sporting hero & say a medical/scientific hero. We could have the same discussion about the misuse of the word Great or Brave in modern communications.

As stated earlier most people who are accorded the various accolades bestowed upon, are normally the first to state that there not.

Regards

"I'm no reactionary.Christ on the Mountain! I'm as idealistic as Hell" Eisenhower

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!