StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Military/History Related Hobbies > Maps and Topography

Notices and Announcements

Maps and Topography Information and links to maps and map resources.

Old 11 Nov 12, 03:40
Private
UK

rinkerdink is on the path to success [1-99]
Provenance of D-Day maps

Hi All,

I have recently migrated to Australia but before we left Europe I aquired a few histprical artifacts/ items for posterity and my ongoing interest, these range from Napoleonic items through the a set of GSGS maps that I was told were used on D-Day. There are some markings on these maps that look like they were written on back in the day. I took them to the Royal Engineers Museum in Chatham, Kent and was told that they "look" right as in of the age and also that the writing is of the style you would expect of that time. I also sent a picture of a section of one of the maps (that showed sketched landing zone around Pegasus Bridge) to the Green Jackets museum to see if the curator could shed any light for me but to no avail. I was wondering if there was any body on here that knows about these maps, there likely use on the D-Day operation and could offer an opinion on the likely provenance of them. I'm not sure how to attach pictures but I could email the section i sent to the rgj museum curator if anybody is interested? There is also a rough drawn map or banding machine copied map that looks like it shows the access routes for the landing craft, I've never seen or heard of anything like this? the chap from the RE museum thought they must be of Naval origin but it seems strange all the maps were together?

Thanks for reading and any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Chris
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 11 Nov 12, 20:03
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800] Carl Schwamberg gives and gets respect [800]
Rich Anderson is a currently published historian of D-Day or properly Operation Neptune, & familar with a lot of the maps/documents of the operation. He would be my first recomendation. PM me for more info on approaching Anderson about this.

If you have scanned any of the maps onto your machine you can use the 'Manage Attachments' controls tin the 'Additional Options' section below the 'Reply to Thread' section. Scroll down from the text box in 'reply to thread', its a half page down.
Old 12 Nov 12, 03:29
Private
UK

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i'll pm you about the contact, I think the section of one of the maps should be attached. I have similar markings on another of the maps indicating break out zones from a beach landing zone. Can't remember the beach off hand but it was one of the ones that the Canadians and British forces landed on.

Hopefully the jpeg will have uploaded correctly...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg section of 7F2.jpg (161.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 12 Nov 12, 03:39
Private
UK

Old 12 Nov 12, 03:39
Private
UK

2 sorry dummy posts so i can PM
Old 18 Jul 13, 05:11
Private
UK

Hi all,

As the migration stress has settled down now I am looking to shed some light on these maps, any thoughts or opinion will be most welcome or indeed any pointers to where I may find some answer.

Thanks

Chris
Old 29 Jul 13, 20:23
Colonel
United_States

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkerdink View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, i'll pm you about the contact, I think the section of one of the maps should be attached. I have similar markings on another of the maps indicating break out zones from a beach landing zone. Can't remember the beach off hand but it was one of the ones that the Canadians and British forces landed on.

Hopefully the jpeg will have uploaded correctly...
The man sheet you have shown is the area about seven kilometers south of "Sword Beach" in the "Roger" Section of this beach.

http://members.shaw.ca/junobeach/ima...20Overlord.jpg

Look at the link and go to the full-size map to help you locate this.
Old 29 Jul 13, 20:27
Colonel
United_States

Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100] Kevin Kenneally has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Sword Beach map

Please see the attached picture of Sword Beach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sword Beach sector.jpg (135.5 KB, 11 views)

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!