StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 10 Dec 12, 00:23
Sergeant
United_States

Mgellis is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
The "weapons unable to fire" problems are similar to the same problems previously reported and not fixed. The best way to locate them is to just fire each and every weapon found within the scenario until you come to one that will not release.
That's not really very specific. Come on, now. No need to be coy. If you have actually tested every weapon on every ship and plane and sub in the scenarios, you should be able to provide a pretty straightforward report. Even if simply ran through the weapons until you found one error, rather than actually trying to play the scenario, you should at least be able to tell us the one error you found before you quit. But you say you found several issues. What are these issues? Please be specific.

Quote:
The inability to board is a game engine problem as it affects all databases equally and is not limited to the HUD4. That is why it is known as a game bug as opposed to a database bug.
Actually, I'm not sure this is a bug at all. It's simply a feature of the game engine that a boarding action is not always guaranteed to succeed. I can get a boarding action to succeed; it just does not happen every time.
Old 10 Dec 12, 00:42
Colonel
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
That's not really very specific. Come on, now. No need to be coy. If you have actually tested every weapon on every ship and plane and sub in the scenarios, you should be able to provide a pretty straightforward report. Even if simply ran through the weapons until you found one error, rather than actually trying to play the scenario, you should at least be able to tell us the one error you found before you quit. But you say you found several issues. What are these issues? Please be specific.
No need to be coy. You aren't willing to test either your database or the scenario. You've been given three free bug reports already and done nothing to correct either the scenarios or the database. You've also been shown the method in which to find any future bugs. You'll have to do your own testing. All it takes is time and firing one weapon at a time. Of course, you are not obligated to fix anything at all. I'll simply continue to report the end results.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm
Old 10 Dec 12, 04:41
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
You aren't willing to test either your database or the scenario.
That is well beyond ignorance, Herman. It is simply a lie. You know better. And I know you know better.

Okay, I'm calling your bluff.

This whole thing really is not about the HUD-4. If it was, you would just tell me what the error was and I'd pass on the information to Gunny and it would go on the to-do list. And then we'd have a nice conversation about the other aspects of the scenario. But that is never going to happen.

What this is all really about is you got yourself banned from a bunch of Harpoon sites over the years and I think your feelings got hurt. You got thrown out of the club. You're the kid none of the other kids liked. Why? You did not play nice. When you were around, Harpoon wasn't fun. So I think that you'll say anything you can to get back at them. So whenever someone does something with a database that isn't yours, you have to say something negative about it, even taking little problems that may really be there but blowing them completely out of proportion just so you have something to say. It's not about quality; it's about your ego.

You know why you got thrown out of those forums? Same reason you nearly got banned at another site a few weeks ago. It isn't about you reporting bugs. Even people on who loathe you as an individual have said you know your stuff when it comes to spotting database issues. The real reason is you behaved like a jerk, as you are doing now, and people finally got sick of you.

You don't want to tell me the database issues you found? Fine. You go do what you want. I'll find it myself. It's probably just the ASROC error that you've reported three times already because you have to complain about something and you couldn't find anything else.

I'm sure you'll reply to this but you really should not bother. I probably won't post about Harpoon here anymore. I tried to be nice and take you seriously but in the end you're still just the same nasty kid who got thrown out of the club and you're a waste of my time. There are other forums where I can talk to people about Harpoon and we don't always agree but it's honest discussion and it's fun. You're neither, so I see no reason to waste more time on you. Goodbye, Herman.
Old 10 Dec 12, 05:07
Colonel
Canada

Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
That is well beyond ignorance, Herman. It is simply a lie. You know better. And I know you know better.

Okay, I'm calling your bluff.

This whole thing really is not about the HUD-4. If it was, you would just tell me what the error was and I'd pass on the information to Gunny and it would go on the to-do list. And then we'd have a nice conversation about the other aspects of the scenario. But that is never going to happen.

What this is all really about is you got yourself banned from a bunch of Harpoon sites over the years and I think your feelings got hurt. You got thrown out of the club. You're the kid none of the other kids liked. Why? You did not play nice. When you were around, Harpoon wasn't fun. So I think that you'll say anything you can to get back at them. So whenever someone does something with a database that isn't yours, you have to say something negative about it, even taking little problems that may really be there but blowing them completely out of proportion just so you have something to say. It's not about quality; it's about your ego.

You know why you got thrown out of those forums? Same reason you nearly got banned at another site a few weeks ago. It isn't about you reporting bugs. Even people on who loathe you as an individual have said you know your stuff when it comes to spotting database issues. The real reason is you behaved like a jerk, as you are doing now, and people finally got sick of you.

You don't want to tell me the database issues you found? Fine. You go do what you want. I'll find it myself. It's probably just the ASROC error that you've reported three times already because you have to complain about something and you couldn't find anything else.

I'm sure you'll reply to this but you really should not bother. I probably won't post about Harpoon here anymore. I tried to be nice and take you seriously but in the end you're still just the same nasty kid who got thrown out of the club and you're a waste of my time. There are other forums where I can talk to people about Harpoon and we don't always agree but it's honest discussion and it's fun. You're neither, so I see no reason to waste more time on you. Goodbye, Herman.
Sigh, I already called your bluff here:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...4&postcount=16

Caught you in your own words. Your ignorance of the game is bad enough, but your claims are outright deceitful especially since I've backed up every reported bug with an exact description on how to reproduce and correct the problem.

You go around proclaiming yourself as some kind of Harpoon booster yet the only thing you promote is yourself. When problems are reported, every excuse in the book is thrown instead of simply fixing the problem. That is utterly dishonest and childish.

Your feelings are hurt because no one agrees with you and simply will not play your scenarios. As stated previously, only HUD authors seem to feel the desperate need to go around begging for others to try their scenarios.

Quote:
You don't want to tell me the database issues you found? Fine. You go do what you want. I'll find it myself.
Exactly. Had you actually conducted any testing whatsoever, you would have found those same bugs before ever releasing your scenario on an unsuspecting public because they are so glaringly obvious.

I notice that you tried to have this thread reported three times as a Bad Post Report simply because someone posts a difference of opinion, reports your problems, and refuses to be quiet about them. That behaviour isn't the mark of someone actually wanting help or other opinions. That is someone who just wants an audience.

If you want to throw a tantrum, do it on HarpGamer. You used to produce functional scenarios for Harpoon Classic. Now that you have started with ANW, you cannot seem to publish a scenario that actually runs to the end without some kind of major database bug and you act like an absolute jerk towards anyone who has a difference of opinion.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 10 Dec 12, 17:36
Private
Italy

Reckall has disabled reputation
Quote:
What this is all really about is you got yourself banned from a bunch of Harpoon sites over the years and I think your feelings got hurt. You got thrown out of the club.
This is what I see from my vantage point: 449 PDb scenarios produced for ANW/HUE. 436 for H3. 7.3+ *millions* of unique downloads since 2007. Thousands and thousands of views for the videos on the "Harpoon for Dummies" channel. And, according to the words of Slitherine's Iain McNeil himself, Harpoon is still among their best sellers.

So, EXACTLY: who is finding himself out in the cold from where?

If anything, and according to my personal experience with these "bans" too, it's the club that managed to throw itself out of the Harpoon community - embracing in the process the point of view of people who are working on a competing product. An amazing double feat. Bravo.
Old 11 Dec 12, 03:07
First Lieutenant
New_Zealand
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99] Baztanz is on the path to success [1-99]
I have no idea why you guys think we the members of the forum need to read this rubbish. It is a obviously a case of personality clash and view points that will never change, so how much longer must we subjected to this rubbish.

Personally I very much enjoy the Harpoon videos that Herman and others put out, but not at the expense of watching you guys implode all over the forum.
I have seen professional historians and authors argue the same "go around" on this forum and fortunately the worst of them have moved along, maybe there's a lesson there.

Now take it outside, and sort it out.
Old 11 Dec 12, 03:15
Colonel
Canada

Arrow

Probably not much longer. Hopefully, his farewell was sincere and not one of the farcical endless departure-return-departure-return cycles for which some Harpoon players are infamous.

I'm glad you found the videos entertaining.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Last edited by Herman Hum; 11 Dec 12 at 03:31..
Old 12 Dec 12, 23:33
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baztanz View Post
I have no idea why you guys think we the members of the forum need to read this rubbish. It is a obviously a case of personality clash and view points that will never change, so how much longer must we subjected to this rubbish.

Personally I very much enjoy the Harpoon videos that Herman and others put out, but not at the expense of watching you guys implode all over the forum.
I have seen professional historians and authors argue the same "go around" on this forum and fortunately the worst of them have moved along, maybe there's a lesson there.

Now take it outside, and sort it out.
I agree entirely. All I have wanted from the beginning is to talk about Harpoon, including finding out where specific problems exist in the database so they can fixed.

Now, I'll admit that I would rather talk about other aspects of scenario design. I'm really just not that interested in database issues. If an error shows up, I don't like it but I don't get worked up about it. I report it. It gets fixed eventually. End of story.

I also confess to having made a really stupid mistake early on. Because I had never used this kind of forum feature before on any forum I've been on, it simply did not occur to me to just add Herman to my Ignore list. I have now done so. After all, there is really no point in having a discussion with someone, or even listening to them, if you no longer believe they are being honest with you. (And it's possible to lie without actually telling a lie; some of the most potent lies are the ones you tell by taking a piece of the truth and blowing it out of proportion.) But I apologize for not doing this earlier--it would have saved everyone time and trouble.

Of course, I suspect the point is moot. This thread has just been sidetracked too many times. And it has gotten personal, which I really was trying to avoid. People don't want to listen to this junk. I certainly don't want to be part of it.

If a real discussion about Harpoon gets started here, I'll be glad to join in, but I think that I'll wait for someone else to post a question or an AAR. Or report an issue so I can pass on the information to the database editor. But I'll let someone else have the talking stick this time.
Old 12 Dec 12, 23:56
Colonel
Canada

Quote:
I agree entirely. All I have wanted from the beginning is to talk about Harpoon, including finding out where specific problems exist in the database so they can fixed.

Now, I'll admit that I would rather talk about other aspects of scenario design. I'm really just not that interested in database issues. If an error shows up, I don't like it but I don't get worked up about it. I report it. It gets fixed eventually. End of story.
And the rest of the story is that you actually got three free bug reports in painfully explicit detail. Bugs that you, yourself, reported remain unfixed after 14months. Your dishonesty is quite apparent. Instead of just fixing the problem, you continue to whine how no one is willing to play your scenarios. Is there any wonder why?

What you really don't understand is that you are judged upon your behaviour towards someone who ACTUALLY took the time to load and try to run your scenarios. Whether that time was short or long is immaterial. The fact that I actually bothered to do that much was far more than your cronies have ever done.

The beautiful thing is that your reaction to reported problems is going to do far more harm to you than you can ever imagine. Your mis-conduct and mis-behaviour are going to ring loudly forevermore. I can just see the hordes of players lining up for your maltreatment.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 06 Jan 13, 22:32
Sergeant
United_States

A new HUD-4 scenario by Ralf/JSF is available...

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index...r-2-intruders/
Sponsored Links

Old 07 Jan 13, 02:38
Colonel
Canada

Already tried it. Same problems as before with weapons unable to fire.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...4&postcount=16

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 15 Jan 13, 15:20
Sergeant
United_States

The newest version of HUD-4 v1.11 is up at harpgamer. Download it here...

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index...780-hud4-v111/
Old 15 Jan 13, 18:07
Colonel
Canada

I see that HUD still has ships unable to move at all.

Celebes Sea Slam

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 15 Jan 13, 22:44
Sergeant
United_States

Just posted a new Harpoon scenario to Harpgamer...

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index...o-brunei-2015/
Old 16 Jan 13, 06:37
Colonel
Canada

I see that nothing has changed here, either:

Error Report...AIM-7C and AIM-7E will not fire
http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index...will-not-fire/

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!