HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Real Time Strategy Games

Notices and Announcements

Real Time Strategy Games Discussion of all strategy games that use a Real-Time system, from the typical RTS games to the hardcore wargames.

Old 24 Nov 12, 14:11
Sergeant
United_States

Mgellis is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman Hum View Post
Sorry, I already identified and posted three HUD4 bugs that you then reported as your own discoveries. You will have to conduct your own testing to pinpoint these bugs if you want the credit.
You need to be cited as the specific source for each database error? I have mentioned in a general sense that you were the one who initially spotted these errors; I figured that was enough. Okay. I don't really care. It's like needing to be given credit for spotting a spelling error, if you want my opinion. However, if you want me to say, "Herman says this is a problem and I checked it to see if I could replicate the error and, yes, it seems to be there, so please check it out" in the future, I will try to remember to do so.

So what's the error, already?
Old 24 Nov 12, 14:40
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgellis View Post
You need to be cited as the specific source for each database error? I have mentioned in a general sense that you were the one who initially spotted these errors; I figured that was enough. Okay. I don't really care. It's like needing to be given credit for spotting a spelling error, if you want my opinion. However, if you want me to say, "Herman says this is a problem and I checked it to see if I could replicate the error and, yes, it seems to be there, so please check it out" in the future, I will try to remember to do so.

So what's the error, already?
Yes, your reports are so vague that anyone reading them would easily think that you had found the problems all by yourself. Here is an example of a bug list whereby everyone who contributes is recognized, however large or small their involvement may be:

* Known Harpoon [ANW] Issues

As stated, one of the bugs encountered was already previously reported:
http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...9&postcount=38

It is pointless to identify any more since they they don't get fixed either way.

So, where's the fix already?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Last edited by Herman Hum; 24 Nov 12 at 14:48..
Old 24 Nov 12, 14:55
Sergeant
United_States

If it's the RUR-5A error, that's been reported already.

Does anyone have any additional feedback on the scenario?
Old 24 Nov 12, 15:14
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300] Herman Hum is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
If it's the RUR-5A error, that's been reported already.

Does anyone have any additional feedback on the scenario?
Exactly. A bug was reported, but it was not fixed.

So, where's the fix, already?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 24 Nov 12, 16:00
Sergeant
United_States

I suppose the fix is coming as soon as the database editor gets it done. Generally speaking, this is implied by the phrase, "the error has been reported." I don't like waiting, either, but I'm over it.

Meanwhile, now that we know what the one error is, is there any other feedback on the scenario? Frankly, when everyone knows that a particular error exists, and that it is been reported, it is a little silly to keep fussing about it. It is not being ignored; it just hasn't been fixed yet. Now it is time to move on to other strengths and weaknesses of the scenario.
Sponsored Links

Old 24 Nov 12, 16:09
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Frankly, when everyone knows that a particular error exists, and that it is been reported, it is a little silly to keep fussing about it. It is not being ignored; it just hasn't been fixed yet. Now it is time to move on to other strengths and weaknesses of the scenario.
Actually, the silly part is how ridiculously simple it is to fix a scenario, yet it does not get done. If you spent half the time actually fixing the scenarios as you do trying to deflect the problems, they would already be fixed. Of course, one would have to want to fix the scenario in the first place.

So, I'll ask again: Where's the fix, already?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 24 Nov 12, 16:35
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I see that the 'initial' HUD4 1.11 release is out.

http://tinyurl.com/c3tz5n3

Just to be absolutely clear, I'm not interested in messing around with Unofficial / Untested / Beta / Experimental / Initial releases.

Is this the official / final release or not? If it isn't, where is the actual final / official release?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 24 Nov 12, 16:54
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Actually, the silly part is how ridiculously simple it is to fix a scenario, yet it does not get done. If you spent half the time actually fixing the scenarios as you do trying to deflect the problems, they would already be fixed. Of course, one would have to want to fix the scenario in the first place.

So, I'll ask again: Where's the fix, already?
You keep repeating points I have already responded to. I'm not the database editor, so if the problem is a database error, all I can do is wait. In fact, this last scenario is not even my own; I'm just letting people know it is available.
Old 24 Nov 12, 17:01
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
You keep repeating points I have already responded to. I'm not the database editor, so if the problem is a database error, all I can do is wait. In fact, this last scenario is not even my own; I'm just letting people know it is available.
And you keep dodging the same problem with the same excuses.

The problems are with the database since they are HUD database bugs and not general game bugs (which would affect all other databases equally). However, there are always other ways to fix scenarios even for bug-infested databases without ever involving the database manager.

The last scenario announced is not yours, but all the other previous ones are. And, none of them have been corrected even when the problems have been reported and then confirmed by you, yourself.

So, where's the fix, already?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Last edited by Herman Hum; 24 Nov 12 at 17:09..
Old 24 Nov 12, 22:27
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
I see that the 'initial' HUD4 1.11 release is out.

http://tinyurl.com/c3tz5n3

Just to be absolutely clear, I'm not interested in messing around with Unofficial / Untested / Beta / Experimental / Initial releases.

Is this the official / final release or not? If it isn't, where is the actual final / official release?
You keep saying that, but then you keep interrupting whatever conversation I might have with other people. (Or, if no one else here wants to be involved, I would eventually figure it out from the chirping crickets and go away, which I suspect is what you want anyway.)

This was never about you, Herman. You're not interested? Then don't be interested. I never said you had to be interested. But other people might be interested. I'm just trying to have a conversation with those people, if they're here on Armchair General. If they're not, I imagine I'll figure it out soon enough, but I'd like them to be able to make that decision for themselves.
Old 24 Nov 12, 23:08
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
You keep saying that, but then you keep interrupting whatever conversation I might have with other people. (Or, if no one else here wants to be involved, I would eventually figure it out from the chirping crickets and go away, which I suspect is what you want anyway.)

This was never about you, Herman. You're not interested? Then don't be interested. I never said you had to be interested. But other people might be interested. I'm just trying to have a conversation with those people, if they're here on Armchair General. If they're not, I imagine I'll figure it out soon enough, but I'd like them to be able to make that decision for themselves.
I fail to see how anyone can 'interrupt' or prevent someone else from participating in a discussion on a public forum. That's just plain silly. This isn't HarpGamer, after all. Anyone can join in, if they have the inclination.

You asked for folks to try the scenarios and also for comments, but it is pretty clear that only glowing reviews are allowed. I would happily post a good review, but I cannot get past the game-killing bugs within the HUD.

If others want to spend their time trying these scenarios and hitting the bugs themselves, no one is stopping anyone else from playing the game. The bug discussion is primarily to let them know that if (when) they hit these same bugs, that it isn't through their own failing or a problem with the game. (There are already enough game bugs in ANW; no need to blame the game for HUD-specific bugs, too.)

Of course, you could just fix your scenarios, too. I continue to be baffled as to why you devote so much time and effort begging others to try scenarios you, yourself, have proven to be so buggy without simply fixing them.

You are certainly under no obligation to fix anything. But, if you were truly trying to promote the game (and not just yourself), then I find it difficult to understand why you would not take the time to provide something that actually works.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 08 Dec 12, 23:41
Sergeant
United_States

Just a quick announcement that some new scenarios for the HUD-4 are available at Harpgamer...

http://harpgamer.com...-harpoon-23anw/

This includes a couple of scenarios by me, but also a few by other people, and the most recent beta for the HUD-4, v1.11.

I hope people enjoy them! Happy holidays!
Old 09 Dec 12, 01:07
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Already tried them and found the problems as previously reported: Weapons will not launch from several platforms.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 09 Dec 12, 21:42
Sergeant
United_States

Quote:
Already tried them and found the problems as previously reported: Weapons will not launch from several platforms.
Please identify the specific issues you encountered, including the vessels, aircraft, etc. where weapons did not fire. This information will be helpful in determining whether the issue is actually connected with the database or something else.

If the issue is with the boarding parties, that is apparently just the way the game engine models them. In real life, boarding operations do sometimes fail. As I understand it, it is not a problem with the database; the game AI just "rolls the dice" and if the operation fails, the other ship is not taken over, sometimes not even boarded. It may look like the boarding party "did not fire," but the game apparently does check to see if the boarding operation was successful and then just reports the result.

(I know this because I checked it several times...sometimes I was able to board a ship with a patrol boat, and sometimes the same patrol boat was unable to complete the boarding.)
Old 09 Dec 12, 21:50
Colonel
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Please identify the specific issues you encountered, including the vessels, aircraft, etc. where weapons did not fire. This information will be helpful in determining whether the issue is actually connected with the database or something else.
The "weapons unable to fire" problems are similar to the same problems previously reported and not fixed. The best way to locate them is to just fire each and every weapon found within the scenario until you come to one that will not release.

Quote:
If the issue is with the boarding parties, that is apparently just the way the game engine models them. In real life, boarding operations do sometimes fail. As I understand it, it is not a problem with the database; the game AI just "rolls the dice" and if the operation fails, the other ship is not taken over, sometimes not even boarded. It may look like the boarding party "did not fire," but the game apparently does check to see if the boarding operation was successful and then just reports the result.
The inability to board is a game engine problem as it affects all databases equally and is not limited to the HUD4. That is why it is known as a game bug as opposed to a database bug.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!