StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Warfare Through the Ages > The Colonial Era and Asia

Notices and Announcements

The Colonial Era and Asia Discussion of European Empires in India, Africa, South America, and other places as well as military history of the Far East!

View Poll Results: What do you want to see from the Colonial Era?
Mexican War 38 28.36%
Opium Wars 32 23.88%
Afghan Wars 29 21.64%
French in Mexico 24 17.91%
War of Texas Independence (Alamo, etc.) 33 24.63%
British in India 59 44.03%
British in Africa 45 33.58%
French in Africa 24 17.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 May 04, 06:59
General of the Forums
Hungary
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Interest Poll - Colonial Era

What do you want to see from the Colonial Era?

Vote one or more times.

JS

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
http://www.mormon.org
http://www.sca.org
http://www.scv.org/
http://www.scouting.org/
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 27 May 04, 22:57
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100] Patrick Carroll has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Where are all the other choices? The colonial era generally includes British wars in India and Africa, as well as French wars in Africa, French Foreign Legion in Mexico & elsewhere, etc. My favorite period, but I don't see my favorite choices listed.

"Do all you have agreed to do, and do not encroach on other persons or their property." (Richard Maybury)
Old 28 May 04, 03:57
General of the Forums
Hungary

Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700] Janos is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Carroll
Where are all the other choices? The colonial era generally includes British wars in India and Africa, as well as French wars in Africa, French Foreign Legion in Mexico & elsewhere, etc. My favorite period, but I don't see my favorite choices listed.
Patrick:
The choices are based on nominations made on the "Free Bread and Circuses" thread over a period of a week or so. I'll be glad to add yours -- if you've already voted, let me know and I can add your votes for the new categories.
JS

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 02 Jun 04, 19:48
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
I saw a show last night on PBS called "Secrets of the Dead" about the Battle of Islandlwana. They had an archialogical excavation of part of the battlefield and their findings give the Zulu's more credit for their tactics than many have historically done. It also goes into the British cover up of the battle. It had quite a bit of dialogue with a present day Zulu "shaman" who is the grandson of a combatant. Their oral history about the battle is very enlightening. It was very interesting and highly recommended.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 03 Jun 04, 06:34
General of the Forums
Hungary

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance Williams
I saw a show last night on PBS called "Secrets of the Dead" about the Battle of Islandlwana. They had an archialogical excavation of part of the battlefield and their findings give the Zulu's more credit for their tactics than many have historically done. It also goes into the British cover up of the battle. It had quite a bit of dialogue with a present day Zulu "shaman" who is the grandson of a combatant. Their oral history about the battle is very enlightening. It was very interesting and highly recommended.
I've never heard a doubt about the Zulu's tactics. They were supposed to be very good...starting with the "ox horns" (or something like that).

I have not heard of any cover-up what did they say about it?

What did the Shaman bring to the show? Or was his role as grandson the reason for his presence?

JS

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 08 Jun 04, 11:05
General of the Forums
United_States

Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300]
Yeah, the ox horn tactics or whatever they were called were quite effective. The two flanks circling around to envelop against the main body of the force.
Old 11 Jun 04, 13:54
General
Canada

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally posted by Janos
I've never heard a doubt about the Zulu's tactics. They were supposed to be very good...starting with the "ox horns" (or something like that).

What did the Shaman bring to the show? Or was his role as grandson the reason for his presence?

JS
Not sure if cover-up is the exact words. Maybe more of a not telling the press and members of the public right away?

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!
Old 11 Jun 04, 13:58
General
Canada

dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99] dannybou is on the path to success [1-99]
Isandlwhana
Attached Images
File Type: jpg isandhlwana_distance3.jpg (13.4 KB, 51 views)

Old 11 Jun 04, 13:59
General
Canada

The bull horns tactics used at Isandlwhana:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topograph isandlwhana.jpg (22.3 KB, 57 views)

Old 12 Jun 04, 06:42
General of the Forums
Hungary

STATE OF THE COLONIAL ERA IN ACG

STATE OF THE COLONIAL ERA IN ACG

Thanks for participating in the poll on the colonial era and for the discussion of the era.

The poll seems indicates a strong preference for the American West days -- the Mexican War and Old West. Discussion, on the other hand, is all about the Zulus, who did not poll well.

Keep discussing this era -- altho' I'd like us to remember the rest of the world -- and see what we can learn.

Jeff
Moderator, WTTA
Sponsored Links

Old 12 Jun 04, 13:06
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:
Originally posted by Janos

JS
The host/producer of the show was a decendant of one of the British killed in the battle and it was mainly a product of him trying to find out what happened.

The outcome was not openly reported to the public when it occurred and even the families received little more than the equivalent of a form letter to tell them their loved ones had been killed.

With regard to the shaman/grandson he was involved because the shaman is the keeper of the Zulu's oral history. It is a heriditary position, so he is the equivalent of a "Zulu history" book. He mentions the Zulu warriors "prepared" themselves with an herbal mixture that included canabis. He also mentions that the Zulu's had far more fire arms that has historically been stated.

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 13 Jun 04, 01:16
General of the Forums
Hungary

Quote:
Originally posted by Lance Williams
The host/producer of the show was a decendant of one of the British killed in the battle and it was mainly a product of him trying to find out what happened.

The outcome was not openly reported to the public when it occurred and even the families received little more than the equivalent of a form letter to tell them their loved ones had been killed.

With regard to the shaman/grandson he was involved because the shaman is the keeper of the Zulu's oral history. It is a heriditary position, so he is the equivalent of a "Zulu history" book. He mentions the Zulu warriors "prepared" themselves with an herbal mixture that included canabis. He also mentions that the Zulu's had far more fire arms that has historically been stated.
Thanks, Lance. Good info.

I didn't know any of this...this is not a battle that I spent a whole lot of time studying, altho' I know the basic events...but am especially surprised by the last paragraph: both that the shamans were the "history books" of their nation and the use of drugs (altho' that has been done for centuries).

JS

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
Old 13 Jun 04, 20:43
Lieutenant General
United_States

Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99] Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99]
didnt shaman bring toilet paper? wait, that was charman
Old 13 Jun 04, 20:51
Lieutenant General
United_States

Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99] Saint Jeremy is on the path to success [1-99]
Jeff

As you know sir, I am a Texan. I love my state very much and am an avid reader of its history. Anything from the Spanish settlement to the War of independance from Mexico, to the old west in Texas. As well as Texas in the civilwar and famous Texans through out history. If I can be of any assistance to you in this part, please feel free to ask me. I would be honored to help you sir.

Also God Bless Texas Women :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Old 14 Jun 04, 03:03
General of the Forums
Hungary

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
Jeff

As you know sir, I am a Texan. I love my state very much and am an avid reader of its history. Anything from the Spanish settlement to the War of independance from Mexico, to the old west in Texas. As well as Texas in the civilwar and famous Texans through out history. If I can be of any assistance to you in this part, please feel free to ask me. I would be honored to help you sir.

Also God Bless Texas Women
Jeremy,

It's not for me, it's for the vast masses of people who read this site!

Why don't you give us something good to get us started? I suggest the story of Goliad.

JS

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!