StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Forum Resources > The Barracks

Notices and Announcements

The Barracks For stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Members can retire from the serious discussions elsewhere on the forums...and relax here.

Old 01 Oct 12, 00:11
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
My emphasis

I have to disagree with you there, Philip. Language is what its speakers make it. If the majority of English speakers decide they want to say indexes instead of indices, oxes instead of oxen and hippos instead of hippopotami then the language will change : the dictionary / grammar writers will have to catch up sooner or later.
We're not in disagreement. I meant you and I can't change the language by ourselves - not the population as a whole. Certainly, if the mass of English speakers veer one way, the dictionaries and grammarians will have to amend their edicts and follow suit. At least, I'd hope so.

Here's a case in point, in which I believe the mass of English speakers are ahead of the dictionaries and expect the dictionaries to change soon:

How do you spell "ac*mod*on" - meaning "a place to stay/live/sleep"?

Philip
Old 01 Oct 12, 00:14
ACG Forums - Guardiano di Roma
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) SPQR Campaign 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip
If English were indeed more logical in ways like those you suggest, it would have made my working life a whole lot easier.

However, it isn't and we have no authority to make it so.

That said, it is certainly the case that the difference between American English and British English is that American English is ALWAYS more logical, as well as being simpler. For that reason (and because most members here are American) I've decided to abandon my schizophrenic approach of switching randomly between spelling conventions and from here on only use American spellings.

I'd encourage others to do likewise. At least that would make life a little easier for subsequent generations of English teachers.

Philip
Good God, man...

Think not a second of it!

For I surely shant!

^

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 01 Oct 12, 00:34
General
Armchair_General

Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipLaos View Post
Here's a case in point, in which I believe the mass of English speakers are ahead of the dictionaries and expect the dictionaries to change soon:

How do you spell "ac*mod*on" - meaning "a place to stay/live/sleep"?

Philip
I would spell it accomodation but the majority of on-line dictionaries spell it accommodation.
Old 01 Oct 12, 01:06
Lord Of The English Manor
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+] PhilipLaos has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
I would spell it accomodation but the majority of on-line dictionaries spell it accommodation.
That has been my experience during many years of noting it.

So, who is correct? The vast majority of English speakers who spell it 'accomodation', or the dictionaries which spell it 'accommodation'?

My view is the dictionaries need to change to align themselves with current usage.

Philip
Old 01 Oct 12, 03:25
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipLaos View Post
I used to abide by the following axiom of my own when I was teaching:

"Nothing is learned until it has been taught 3 times."

It also always helps to provide examples in these matters.

Philip
Something I find very strange is the use of the word 'learn' instead of 'teach'. I need to correct people on this all the time. Though worth noting that it is mostly foreigners who do this.

E.g. they say "I wasn't learned that yet". What they mean to say is "I wasn't taught that yet".
Old 01 Oct 12, 03:37
General
Armchair_General

Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300] Cosmos is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri View Post

E.g. they say "I wasn't learned that yet". What they mean to say is "I wasn't taught that yet".
Not to be pedantic about it but they could also say "I haven't learned that yet"
Old 01 Oct 12, 03:53
General of the Forums
Finland
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive Summer Campaign 
100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900] Karri has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Not to be pedantic about it but they could also say "I haven't learned that yet"
A bad example on my part. I am talking about situation where they should use teach and not learn.
Old 01 Oct 12, 04:34
Pirate
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Admiral has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
'Philip is quite obviously a learned individual.'

Quite often in America, many people do not catch the distinction & assume a hillbilly wrote it.

learn-ed/ˈlərnid - Adjective:
  1. (of a person) Having much knowledge acquired by study.
  2. Showing, requiring, or characterized by learning; scholarly: "an article in a learned journal".

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 01 Oct 12, 04:49
ACG Forums - Air Marshall
South_Vietnam
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I think it might have been said here before: The English language doesn't borrow foreign words, but takes them out back and beat them up and steals them.

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

Calling Nazis ratzis is an insult to rats around the world.
Old 01 Oct 12, 05:32
General
Armchair_General

Loose and lose

If something is loose it may be possible to tighten it.

If you lose something you could spend a long time looking for it.

In the UK this could be called a loo

the plural of which is loos (sounds like lose)

Old 01 Oct 12, 06:33
Pirate

Well, I can certainly say I've lost a few things down one of them thingies!

When a drunk has passed out with their noggin on the seat after a good heave ho, it is often referred to as 'Talkin to Ralph on the big white telephone!'

ACG History Today

BoRG
Old 01 Oct 12, 06:38
General of the Forums
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
Well, I can certainly say I've lost a few things down one of them thingies!

When a drunk has passed out with their noggin on the seat after a good heave ho, it is often referred to as 'Talkin to Ralph on the big white telephone!'

Talking to the big phone or talking Norwegian/calling Norway around here if you are throwing up into the toilet.
Old 01 Oct 12, 06:44
ACG Forums - General Staff
England
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900] Selous has earned the respect of all [900]
Calling god on the porcelain telephone 'oh godddd, nevveerrr again!, ohh Godd!'

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules
Old 01 Oct 12, 06:45
Pirate

I'm convinced the reason they say one is talking to Ralph is because usually his name has been heard several times issuing quite prominently forth in long drawn out tones from the stall...

"RAAAAAAAlph!!!"

Not that I'd really know, of course...

ACG History Today

BoRG

Last edited by Admiral; 01 Oct 12 at 06:51..
Old 01 Oct 12, 06:55
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000] D1J1 has set a fine example for others to follow [1000]
Hey yinz, I learned all my English dahn tahn n'at! 'Nuff a dis, how 'bout we get us an Imp and an Arhn!?*

To those of you who are uneducated in the ways of the 'burgh, that would be a boilermaker using Imperial whiskey and Iron City beer. The good old days!

Regards,
Dennis

Shouting out to Half Pint for bringing back the big mugs!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!