StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 04 Feb 09, 17:44
Lieutenant General
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Dave,

I've read all three, plus his book on Bunker Hill. While not an academic historian, he writes very well, and his books are extremely readable. THE definitive book on Trenton/Princeton is David Hackett Fischer's Washington's Crossing, but Winter Warriors makes for a good read. I'm in the middle of reading John Luzader's new book on the Battle of Saratoga, but I can already tell that it's going to end up being the definitive work on the subject. It's not an easy read, though. If you want an easy read that's educational, then you can't go wrong with Ketcham.

Eric

Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown Stuart
Old 04 Feb 09, 18:16
Private First Class
United_States

goodfelladh is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
Dave,

I've read all three, plus his book on Bunker Hill. While not an academic historian, he writes very well, and his books are extremely readable. THE definitive book on Trenton/Princeton is David Hackett Fischer's Washington's Crossing, but Winter Warriors makes for a good read. I'm in the middle of reading John Luzader's new book on the Battle of Saratoga, but I can already tell that it's going to end up being the definitive work on the subject. It's not an easy read, though. If you want an easy read that's educational, then you can't go wrong with Ketcham.

Eric
Thanks for the input, Eric. I'm thinking the Fischer work might be my next purchase(s)... I've heard good things about both Washington's Crossing and Paul Revere's Ride.

It's kind of nice to be starting to really get into a topic and not already own so much stuff on it... it's like finding gems every time.
Old 04 Feb 09, 18:53
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfelladh View Post
Hello all... I'm new to the forums, but have been reading through various archives here and the Civil War forum lately. At the moment I've been more interested in the Revolution than anything else, so I'm glad to see there's a forum here exclusively for it.

At any rate, I'm wondering if any of you guys have read any of the works of Richard M. Ketchum? I know he has books on Trenton/Princeton, Saratoga and Yorktown (he may have others, but those are the three that I've seen online). I see that for the most part they've gotten fairly good reviews on Amazon, but I'd love to hear some opinions from some of you folks who may be better judges of quality on books of this sort. Thanks for any input.
My favorite from a subject matter point of view is his work on Bunker Hill.
Old 04 Feb 09, 19:01
Lieutenant General
United_States

Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Wittenberg is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Thanks for the input, Eric. I'm thinking the Fischer work might be my next purchase(s)... I've heard good things about both Washington's Crossing and Paul Revere's Ride.

It's kind of nice to be starting to really get into a topic and not already own so much stuff on it... it's like finding gems every time.
Dave,

I agree.

I've read a lot of military history in my life, and I've even written my fair share of it. I have to say that Fischer's book is, without doubt, one of the finest works of military history I have ever read in a lifetime of study. You can't possibly go wrong with it.

Eric

Old 05 Feb 09, 17:15
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 

Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400] Lance Williams has a spectacular aura about [400]
Quote:

Dave,

A warm welcome to the ACG. The Revolutionary Era is a relatively new forum and we are always looking for new contributors. If your not aware both Eric and Rich are respected authors so I don't think you could get better evaluators of your prospective reads. I hope to see more of you in the future.

Lance

Peace through superior firepower.
Old 06 Feb 09, 16:47
Private First Class
United_States

Thanks again for the recommendations. I actually picked up Fischer's Paul Revere's Ride today when I saw it at a local used book store... still plan on getting Washington's Crossing, but it was nice to see the book for cheap after hearing good things about Fischer's work.
Old 14 Feb 09, 11:37
Private First Class
United_States

I know that David Hackett Fischer has been recommended in this thread multiple times, but I'll throw in another in support of his Paul Revere's Ride. Fischer is just a great storyteller and the tale he weaves of the events surrounding Revere and Lexington & Concord is riveting, as fast paced as any fiction could be. It's great stuff and makes me really look forward to reading Washington's Crossing, which I've heard even better things about.
Old 14 Feb 09, 19:21
First Lieutenant
United_States

pmririshman has disabled reputation
Quote:
I know that David Hackett Fischer has been recommended in this thread multiple times, but I'll throw in another in support of his Paul Revere's Ride. Fischer is just a great storyteller and the tale he weaves of the events surrounding Revere and Lexington & Concord is riveting, as fast paced as any fiction could be. It's great stuff and makes me really look forward to reading Washington's Crossing, which I've heard even better things about.
Washington's Crossing is a great read.
Old 16 Feb 09, 12:48
Major General
United_States

JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200] JSMoss is walking in the light [200]
Whiel it may seem strange here, I would recommend anyone interested in the social and political underpinnings of the American Revolution read Fred Anderson's "Crucible of War". Yes I know, it is about the French and Indian War, but the last 25% or so Anderson does a good job of showing how that war shaped persceptions, thinking and instituions in a way that led directly to the Revolution.
Old 16 Feb 09, 19:10
Private First Class
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMoss View Post
Whiel it may seem strange here, I would recommend anyone interested in the social and political underpinnings of the American Revolution read Fred Anderson's "Crucible of War". Yes I know, it is about the French and Indian War, but the last 25% or so Anderson does a good job of showing how that war shaped persceptions, thinking and instituions in a way that led directly to the Revolution.
Thanks for the this recommendation... in waiting on some Rev. War books that I ordered to come in, I think I'm going to pick this one up. This is a conflict/area that I only know through Revolutionary War reading and the basic school-level type knowledge.
Sponsored Links

Old 24 Feb 09, 20:04
Corporal
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

BasicGreatGuy is on the path to success [1-99]
"The Winter Soldiers" and "Saratoga: Turning Point of America's Revolutionary War" are excellent reads, in my opinion. Highly digestible works.
Old 24 Feb 09, 20:09
Corporal
United_States

I am half way through Lawrence E. Babit's new book "Long, Obstinate, and Bloody: The Battle of Guilford Courthouse." Very concise and engaging. Once you get started, it is hard to put down.

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Obstinate...5520418&sr=1-1
Old 24 Feb 09, 20:17
Corporal
United_States

I would also recommend the following books.

"From Savannah to Yorktown: The American Revolution in the South" (Henry Lumpkin)

"Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes" (Christopher Hibbert)

"The Southern Strategy: Britain's Conquest Of South Carolina And Georgia, 1775-1780" (David K. Wilson)

"The Battle for New York: The City at the Heart of the American Revolution" (Barnet Schecter)
Old 24 Feb 09, 21:38
Lieutenant General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicGreatGuy View Post
I am half way through Lawrence E. Babit's new book "Long, Obstinate, and Bloody: The Battle of Guilford Courthouse." Very concise and engaging. Once you get started, it is hard to put down.

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Obstinate...5520418&sr=1-1
Cool! I didn't know it was out.

Gotta pick this one up. It's one of my very favorite battles.

Eric

Old 24 Feb 09, 21:45
Corporal
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Wittenberg View Post
Cool! I didn't know it was out.

Gotta pick this one up. It's one of my very favorite battles.

Eric
I pre-ordered it from Amazon, and got it on the 20th. It is 217 pages plus the glossary and appendix. Hope you enjoy it Eric.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!