StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 13 Sep 05, 10:12
Member Emeritus
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
I would highly recommend:

The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin
The Battle for New York
His Excellency: George Washington
Washington's Crossing
The First American

All are excellent and well written. His Excellency: Geroge Washington is particularly well written and gripping.
Old 13 Sep 05, 10:17
Member Emeritus
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Model Forum Group Build 

Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500] Eric Weider is a jewel in the rough [500]
Also a pretty interesting novel on the French and Indian War is by Coyle called "The Savage Wilderness." The reader follows three main characters - one French, one Indian and one British and as a result you get to see the war from all sides.

While not directly about the American Revolution the French and Indian War in many ways prepared the way for the revolution and contributed to it happening.

Old 13 Sep 05, 14:00
ACG Author
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900] R.N. Armstrong has earned the respect of all [900]
I am currently doing research for a historical novel in the American Revolution, and the list offered here is very good. I would add:

Decisive Day: The Battle of Bunker Hill by Richard Ketchum

The War of American Independence by Don Higginbotham

A Respectable Army: The Origins of the Republic, 1763-1789 by James Martin and Mark Lender

The Minute Men: The First Fight: Myths & Realities of the American Revolution by General John Galvin
Old 13 Sep 05, 14:28
Sergeant Major
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Jim Cobb is on the path to success [1-99] Jim Cobb is on the path to success [1-99]
1776 by David McCullough covers the military events starting with Washington's arrival im Boston in 1775. Could be subtitled "The Education of G. Washington".
Old 13 Sep 05, 23:51
First Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

foster is on the path to success [1-99] foster is on the path to success [1-99]
I enjoyed reading Iron Tears by Stanley Weintraub.
Old 07 May 06, 17:06
Recruit
UK

Andy McMaster is a balanced individual [0]
AWI books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos
Another good book, but one I have only heard (unabridged) on cassette, is Sergeant Lamb's America. In this book, an Irish conscript, who really existed, is brought to the Americas to suppress our revolution. Based on his life and historical facts, this novel provides realism for a British soldier fighting the Continentals.

JS
This book - by Robert Graves - is a good read as is the sequel 'Proceed Sergeant Lamb' which follows Lamb to Saratoga. His was a truly interesting life. If you can get hold of the original journal on which it is based - A Journal of Occurances in the late American War (I think) by Roger Lamb that too is good.

I did a lot of reading around this a few years ago while planning a 15mm AWI army. However most of my books are stored at the moment following major work on the house and birth of daughter . I can recommend a reading of the contemporary accounts from the British side as well. Obviously any first hand account needs caution but they do give a good feel for the time. Those of Cornwallis, Tarleton and Ewald (a Hessian jager officer) are good.

| really need to dig the books out again as there were some good ones on the Southern campaign that are worth a look.

I'd also be interested in hearing the Lamb book read. Who published it? CD or cassette?

Hope these are of some help.

Cheers

Andy
Old 14 Jun 06, 17:52
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Roadblock is on the path to success [1-99] Roadblock is on the path to success [1-99] Roadblock is on the path to success [1-99]
Charles Patrick Neimeyer's America Goes to War: A Social History of the Continental Army. This was a excellent academic study that looks at the social and political tradition of the militia system in colonial British America. It also sets aside seperate chapters on various ethnic groups in the Continental Army (the Irish, Germans, African-Americans). I had to read it for PhD comps.
Old 09 Aug 06, 11:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+] johnbryan has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Duffy
I think most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but here are a few not listed yet:

A New Age Now Begins by Page Smith. 2 vol. Huge and encyclopedic but extremely readable and well written.

Rebels and Redcoats by Scheer and Rankin and Spirit of '76 by Henry Cammanger Steele (I think). Best for long passages from sontemporary sources

Redcoats and Rebels by Christopher Hibbert. The British story.

Battles of the American Revolution by Col. Henry Carrington. Written about 125 years ago, Carrington's work is still the best study of the strictly military aspects of the war.
Rebels and Redcoats and The Spirit of 76 are two excellent choices! I've read both of them!
Old 05 Dec 06, 18:51
Staff Sergeant
United_States

larizona is on the path to success [1-99]
The British View

For those interested in the British view of the war, try
The War of Independence : The British Army in North America 1775-1783 by Sir John Fortescue. This book is an affordable extract from his massive history of the British Army written in 1911. I believe it can be found on Amazon for about $25

Join the Army and see the Navy
sandwich board in the Marx Brother's Duck Soup, 1933
Old 24 Oct 07, 11:29
Private
United_States

steepcreek is a balanced individual [0]
Hands down the best book, of a battle and combat, is "Devil of a Whipping" by Lawrence Babits. Covers the Battle of the Cowpens and gives a good slice of the southern campaigns of the war - where the revolution was won!

huzzah,

Steepcreek
Sponsored Links

Old 24 Jan 08, 23:27
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Boaty is on the path to success [1-99] Boaty is on the path to success [1-99] Boaty is on the path to success [1-99]
I'll have to read that; Cowpens is one of my favorite battles. Being used to tramping ACW battlefields, I was struck be the small scale of it.
Also, Leckie's 'George Washington's War' is a great read. You won't be able to put it down during the part when the traitor Arnold is almost caught red handed by Washington himself.
Old 16 Mar 08, 13:49
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
Common Sense and The American Crisis by Thomas Paine.

Daniel Morgan: Revolutionary Rifleman by Don Higginbotham.

A Hessian Diary of the American Revolution by Johann Conrad Dohla.

The Divided Ground: Indians, Settlers, and the Northern Borderland of the American Revolution by Alan Taylor.

Old 17 Mar 08, 12:40
ACG Forums - General Staff
United_States

HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200] HiredGoon is walking in the light [200]
Here are some primary documents for studying the American Revolution:

The Royal Proclamation of 1763

The Stamp Act, 1765

Resolutions of the Stamp Act Congress, October 19, 1765

The Declaration of Rights of the Stamp Act Congress

An excerpt of William Pitt's Speech on the Stamp Act, 1766

An account of the Boston Massacre from the Boston Gazette, 1770

The Rights of the Colonists, by Samuel Adams, 1772

ORATION Delivered at Boston, 5 March 1772 by Dr. Joseph Warren

Boston Massacre Oration, 5 March 1774
by John Hancock

Declaration of Colonial Rights of the Continental Congress, 1774

Sermon on Civil Liberty by Nathaniel Niles, 1774

The Olive Branch Petition, October 26, 1774

Revere's Account of his "Midnight Ride,"1775

Speech on Conciliation with America
by Edmund Burke, March 22, 1775

Description of the Battle of Bunker Hill from a letter by Gen. Burgoyne, June 25, 1775

Description of the Battle of Bunker Hill from a letter by Marine Lieutenant J. Waller, 21st. June 1775

Declaration of the Causes and Necessity of Taking up Arms, Jefferson and Dickinson, July 6, 1775

Proclamation of Rebellion, August 23, 1775

The Virginia Declaration of Rights, June 12, 1776

The Declaration of Independence

Common Sense by Thomas Paine, 1776

The American Crisis by Thomas Paine, 1776-83

Christopher Vail's Journal, 1775-82

Military Journal of the American Revolutionary War by Dr. James Thacher

Extracts from the Journals of my Campaigns
by John Paul Jones

From the Diary of Albigence Waldo, Surgeon at Valley Forge, 1777

The Articles of Confederation

The Surrender of Cornwallis

Treaty of Paris, 1783

The Last Men of the Revolution, 1864
Old 25 Mar 08, 11:31
Second Lieutenant
United_States

Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99] Loki is on the path to success [1-99]
Good books to read on the American Revolution

Has anyone mentioned the Jeff Shara series? He concentrates on Gettysburg but his series on the American Revolution are very acceptable.

I can't think of the names of the books right now,

One of G.A. Henty's books shows the American Revolution from the standpoint of the British, sure it's historical fiction, but the general ocurrances are real.
Old 08 May 08, 06:33
General of the Forums
EU
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Stratego has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I'm looking for an easy, readable book about the American Revolution, but I'm not so sure which one to buy !!!!
Please keep in mind that it needs to be a standard work, not too difficult for "almost newbies" on the subject !!!

On my list I have the following works:

The American Revolution
by Edward Countryman

AND

A People's History of the American Revolution
by Ray Raphael

Are these two above to be considered?

Please HELP !!!!

Greets,
Stratego

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!