StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Revolution

Notices and Announcements

American Revolution 1763-1789 The birth of a new nation - to commence at the Proclaimation of 1763 to the end of the Articles of Confederation.

Old 04 Oct 15, 06:47
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
You're welcome, Porty.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 20 Feb 16, 13:42
Banned
United_States

Theoferrum is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
There are a lot of good books on the American Revolution, too. One of them is The Day the American Revolution Began: 19 April 1775, which does a play-by-play of the whole day (starting the night before) and then lists the days that the word of the Battles of Lexington and Concord reached the major cities of the colonies.

Another good book, but one I have only heard (unabridged) on cassette, is Sergeant Lamb's America. In this book, an Irish conscript, who really existed, is brought to the Americas to suppress our revolution. Based on his life and historical facts, this novel provides realism for a British soldier fighting the Continentals.

What are your favorite books on the War of the American Revolution?

JS
If there are a lot of good book on the American Revolution then how is it that most people - including most of these historians - don't know who was the first peson to suggest that we declare our Independence from England which resulted, I might add, in one of the greatest works of Literature in the History of the World called the Declaration of Independence.

If you can't answer that question then its time to go back to school...
Old 13 Mar 16, 13:11
Banned
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoferrum View Post
If there are a lot of good book on the American Revolution then how is it that most people - including most of these historians - don't know who was the first person to suggest that we declare our Independence from England which resulted, I might add, in one of the greatest works of Literature in the History of the World called the Declaration of Independence.

If you can't answer that question then its time to go back to school...
The answer to that question is General Charles Lee in a letter to Patrick Henry...
Old 13 Mar 16, 13:34
Staff Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hugh has disabled reputation
While I agree that Gen. Charles Lee was among the first I'd hesitate to categorically state that he, or anyone, "was the first person to suggest that we declare our Independence."
Civil War Milledgeville
Remembering Milledgeville
www.hughharrington.com
Old 13 Mar 16, 23:00
Banned
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
While I agree that Gen. Charles Lee was among the first I'd hesitate to categorically state that he, or anyone, "was the first person to suggest that we declare our Independence."
I wouldn't - they started his court martial on July 4th for that reason...
Old 02 Jul 16, 18:51
Major General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300] Jannie is on a distinguished road [300]
Just finished Washington's Revolution: The Making of America's First Leader by Robert Middlekauff

I've had it 14 weeks and just finished it up right before I have to take it back to the library. But I kept at it because it presented the Revolution from Washington's perspective of leading the army, providing for the army, dealing with the Congress (which must have been extraordinarily difficult), dealing with the French Army and Navy, and at the very end heading off a rebellion of his officers over late pay and the issue of pensions, which if it had come to fruition would have lost the Revolution.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!