StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 18 Nov 14, 16:15
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Brock View Post
Well said Paul and I agree make up your own mind don't listen to some of the
rhetoric you here in this forum. Every Author has some good historical facts
in there books, which you have to sometimes pick out by reading other books
and making comparisons. Good luck all.

Since I was critical of Schom, I suspect that I am being considered a sychophant too. It is possible to be critical of Schom without being a sycophant.
I don't have a problem with authors who are critical of napoleon, as there is much to be critical of, I have a problem with authors who have drifted from honest criticism to outright bias. I got the impression that schom was more interested in conveying his personal contempt rather than an honest analysis of events.
Just my opinion.

I prefer authors who are able to provide something of an honest analysis of events rather than use them to justify personal hatreds or worship

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 18 Nov 14, 17:24
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation
It was a broad statement Tom..., not to anybody in particular... your
paranoia is showing.
Old 18 Nov 14, 17:45
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambronnne View Post
Since I was critical of Schom, I suspect that I am being considered a sychophant too. It is possible to be critical of Schom without being a sycophant.
I don't have a problem with authors who are critical of napoleon, as there is much to be critical of, I have a problem with authors who have drifted from honest criticism to outright bias. I got the impression that schom was more interested in conveying his personal contempt rather than an honest analysis of events.
Just my opinion.

I prefer authors who are able to provide something of an honest analysis of events rather than use them to justify personal hatreds or worship
Don't look under your bed Cam, there's nothing to see.

Please show where I have posted that a person being critical of Schom means that that person is a sycophant. I may have used both in my posts but have never directly linked the two together.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 18 Nov 14 at 17:56..
Old 18 Nov 14, 18:07
General of the Forums
United_States

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
It was a broad statement Tom..., not to anybody in particular... your
paranoia is showing.
If I didn't have my paranoia I would have nothing left at all.

Yes, it was a broad statement and since it was broad enough to possibly include me, I felt the need to respond.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 18 Nov 14, 18:09
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
Don't look under your bed Cam, there's nothing to see.

Please show where I have posted that a person being critical of Schom means that that person is a sycophant. I may have used both in my posts but have never directly linked the two together.

Paul

I was reading into the "broad statement" is all.

Old 18 Nov 14, 18:16
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Well said Paul and I agree make up your own mind don't listen to some of the
rhetoric you here in this forum. Every Author has some good historical facts
in there books, which you have to sometimes pick out by reading other books
and making comparisons. Good luck all.

Why thank you James!

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 18 Nov 14, 18:51
Sergeant Major
Pirate

ONSunset is on the path to success [1-99] ONSunset is on the path to success [1-99] ONSunset is on the path to success [1-99] ONSunset is on the path to success [1-99]
Thank you all for your input and advice.
Old 18 Nov 14, 21:42
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Just my opinion.
I wouldn't worry-you're not a sycophant.

In fact, in the way it has been used it is being used improperly. The definition of sycophant is:

'a person who praises powerful people in order to get their approval'

Since Napoleon is long dead, this definition and usage just does not apply.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 20 Nov 14, 07:28
General of the Forums
England

Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Von Richter has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
'A person who praises powerful people in order to get their approval'

Sincerely,
M
That's summat I've never been very good at... explains why I'm still a binman, I suppose?
And athwart the seas
Hath passed the light of noble deeds
Unquenchable forever.
Old 20 Nov 14, 12:52
General of the Forums
United_States

Crisis in the Snows: The Eylau Campaign.

I have been looking for a copy of this book for some time now.
Amazon offered it but only for something in excess of $200.

The book is now being made available directly from the author ($60)and can be found here:
http://napoleonbooks.com/crisis_in_the_snows.html

Arnold's other books can be ordered there as well.
I have read Napoleon's Triumph and was quite pleased with it.
http://napoleonbooks.com/napoleons_triumph.html

Sponsored Links

Old 20 Nov 14, 12:57
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Crisis in the Snows: The Eylau Campaign.
I have been looking for a copy of this book for some time now.
Amazon offered it but only for something in excess of $200.
The book is now being made available directly from the author ($60)and can be found here:
http://napoleonbooks.com/crisis_in_the_snows.html
Arnold's other books can be ordered there as well.
I have read Napoleon's Triumph and was quite pleased with it.
http://napoleonbooks.com/napoleons_triumph.html
Arnold's books are all interesting and very well done. Crisis in the Snows is not exception-highly recommended.

Have you tried abebooks.com?

Arnold also has a website and you might want to check there.

Sincerely,
M
Old 20 Nov 14, 13:21
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Arnold's books are all interesting and very well done. Crisis in the Snows is not exception-highly recommended.

Have you tried abebooks.com?

Arnold also has a website and you might want to check there.

Sincerely,
M

I have not checked abebooks but will do so, thank you.
I agree that Arnold's Napoleon's Triumph was very good. I thought it was even handed and gave insight that I had never appreciated on the Friedland campaign. I am looking forward to Crisis.

Old 20 Nov 14, 22:41
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation
Don't waste your time Tom on abebooks they want $400. plus.
Old 21 Nov 14, 08:04
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Don't waste your time Tom on abebooks they want $400. plus.
That being the case, I would contact James Arnold through his website, napoleonbooks.com

Sincerely,
M
Old 28 Nov 14, 14:43
Lance Corporal
Canada

debrito is on the path to success [1-99]
Hi guys,

If you don’t mind, may I ask which is the best not-that-expensive reference-book which will give us some details regarding the decision of the marching from le campement de Boulogne towards Austerlitz 1805, and as much details during this march as possible, when Napoleon said to Murat and I think Compans (‘’Personne n’a jamais vu 200 000 hommes se déplacer en deux semaines au cœur de l’Europe…C’est impossible que nous allons faire, c’est pour cela que ce n’est plus une Armée et si La Grande Armée’’)

Regards
Rodrigo

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!