StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 06 Oct 14, 23:52
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The End of Empire: Napoleon's 1814 Campaign by George F. Nafziger

http://www.amazon.com/End-Empire-Nap...&keywords=1814

Coming this december!
Old 07 Oct 14, 07:31
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
The End of Empire: Napoleon's 1814 Campaign by George F. Nafziger

http://www.amazon.com/End-Empire-Nap...&keywords=1814

Coming this december!
It's on my list-thanks for posting it.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 18 Oct 14, 23:31
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have had an Amazon notification that I shall soon be in possession of
Waterloo The Decisive Victory by Nick Lipscombe. It's release date is the 20th October.

As you will see by the picture in the link below, it will come with a slip case, (as with his Peninsula War Atlas) which is something I like.
There's also a pretty good 'look inside' preview too; which should be of interest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...ink_refresh_T1

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 19 Oct 14, 04:23
Staff Sergeant
Russia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99] vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99] vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99]
[QUOTE=vladimir Pantin;2545608]New Russian book.
"Army of Alexander I. Infantry, artillery, engineers". The Authors O. Leonov, S. Popov, A. Kibovsky.

Volume II: Cavalry

Old 19 Oct 14, 07:39
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Where can we get hold of it?

Sincerely,
M
Sponsored Links

Old 19 Oct 14, 09:30
Staff Sergeant
Russia
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99] vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99] vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99]
In this store lowest price:
http://kordegardia.ru/products-page/...072;н-2/
Old 19 Oct 14, 14:16
General of the Forums
United_States

Thanks!

Sincerely,
M
Old 19 Oct 14, 23:08
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir Pantin View Post
Which equates to £81.00, 102.21 Euros or $130.22.

The other one is even more expensive!

http://kordegardia.ru/products-page/...1%D0%B0%D0%BD/

+ £6.00, 7.50 Euro' or $10.00 postage.

Paul

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 20 Oct 14 at 15:57..
Old 20 Oct 14, 15:45
General of the Forums
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
I have had an Amazon notification that I shall soon be in possession of
Waterloo The Decisive Victory by Nick Lipscombe. It's release date is the 20th October.

As you will see by the picture in the link below, it will come with a slip case, (as with his Peninsula War Atlas) which is something I like.
There's also a pretty good 'look inside' preview too; which should be of interest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...ink_refresh_T1

Paul
I got the above book delivered to me about an hour ago. I have had a quick look through its 'lavish' (25cm X 19.5cm,) 415 pages and so far it's a beauty. Almost every page has an illustration, a very large amount of them in colour and from a myriad of contemporary to modern day artists (many of the illustrations will be new to some) such as Keith Rocco, who's splendid Legros at the North Gate, is a two page spread. There are some good maps too, a couple are of those published just after the Battle and have not been used much in books since so will be new to many.

The Book is on sale at Amazon for £22.75 and going by what I have seen, is worth every penny. I haven't read any of the text yet but even if it was crap and written by Hoffie or David Hamilton-Williams, It would still be worth it.

So far, for price, content of illustrations, and general presentation I would give it full marks. I haven't read it through yet but if the contribution in the text is as good, I will be giving it maximum!

Paul

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 20 Oct 14 at 15:55..
Old 23 Oct 14, 21:55
General of the Forums
United_States

I received my copy of the above volume in the mail today, and it is well-illustrated.

I was initially disappointed by it as it is not written by Nick Lipscombe, but edited by him. Only one of the ten chapters is written by Lipscombe, which is a shame.

All of the authors, with one exception, are British which is interesting, but some of them are first rate, such as Ian Fletcher, Philip Haythornthwaite, and Charles Esdaile.

I did take a look at the short artillery section, however, and it was rather poor, which is also unfortunate.

Sincerely,
M
Old 17 Nov 14, 20:25
Sergeant Major
Pirate

ONSunset is on the path to success [1-99] ONSunset is on the path to success [1-99] ONSunset is on the path to success [1-99] ONSunset is on the path to success [1-99]
What is the general opinion here on the following books

Napoleon as military commander by James Marshall-Cornwall
Napoleon Bonaparte by Alan Schom
Napoleon: A Life by Andrew Roberts

I have the first two (although I haven't read them in years) and just ordered the third book on the list.
Old 18 Nov 14, 07:33
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONSunset View Post

I have the first two (although I haven't read them in years) and just ordered the third book on the list.

I read Schom's book years ago and found his utter contempt for his subject to be offputting and distracting. Messena (above) just commented extensively on Schom in a negative sense in another thread.
Ultimately, I lost interest in the schom book because his dislike for napoleon made it difficult accept the credibility of a number of his assertions.
I have not read the other books, but am planning on getting the Roberts book in the near future.
I would like a review of that one too if anyone has read it.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 18 Nov 14, 11:45
General of the Forums
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONSunset View Post

Marshall-Cornwall is worth reading.

Schom's inaccurate, albeit 'imaginative' tome is very useful for a doorstop.

I didn't care for Andrew Roberts' material too much, but his new book is worth getting (Napoleon the Great) although it is troubled by minor errors in the book on different subjects.

The best overall biography of Napoleon is still, in my opinion, Vincent Cronin's Napoleon Bonaparte: An Intimate Biography.

The following is part of Tom Holmberg's review of Schom's book. Tom Holmberg is a member of the Napoleon Series team online, is a professional librarian and an excellent Napoleonic historian in his own right:

"…Alan Schom, building on almost 200 years of the "black legend", culls every questionable allegation, spurious fact and scandalous bit of gossip to blacken Napoleon's name. Schom even casts doubts on Napoleon's military talents, misinterpreting Owen Connelly. Schom tops off his book with a simplistic and silly musing on Napoleon's mental health. But it is obvious that Schom's view of Napoleon as a psychopathic dwarf and Hitlerian mass-murdered appeals to some reviewers. This says perhaps more about those reviewers than about Napoleon. Napoleon was a human being, albeit a great one, with all the faults, vices and virtues of that species, not some cardboard cutout standing in for Hitler or Stalin. Napoleon was a product of his times, writ large, who had many great positive achievements and many great faults. But most of all Napoleon is a mystery, like many great men, but a mystery which still continues to fascinate people the world over after 200 years. Read a good book about Napoleon, not this one."-Tom Holmberg

All that being said, however, is that all books, or as many as possible should be read in order to compare and contrast those written on the same subject(s).

Sincerely,
M
Old 18 Nov 14, 13:04
General of the Forums
England

Half to two thirds of the way through Schom's book it gets to be less critical and overall is a very good book. If Roberts book is as fawning of Nappy as it seems, then It would be an about face from how he saw Nappy in his earlier tome 'Napoleon & Wellington' a book in which he spends slagging off Nappy throughout and slags of Wellington a la Hoffschroer, in the last chapters.

I reckon that all Roberts is doing is punting a book on Nappy that he hopes will cause controversy which in turn will garner publicity and thus sell loads and help in soothing his bank managers troubles.

I put him in the Pulp History bracket (probably something that I and Massena agree with)

I show my dislike of Nappy and much of the fawning 'first coming' guff that's published about him. Perhaps one day someone will publish an account of his life where there is no bias in the telling. Until then, Ill buy no other books on him.

All in all though, If I were you, I would ignore what I and Nappy sycophants say on the subject, do your own research and come up with your own conclusions about Napoleon and what books you would deem as worth the read.

Paul
Old 18 Nov 14, 15:22
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation
Quote:
Dibby - All in all though, If I were you, I would ignore what I and
Nappy sycophants say on the subject, do your own research and come up
with your own conclusions about Napoleon and what books you would deem
as worth the read.
Well said Paul and I agree make up your own mind don't listen to some of the
rhetoric you here in this forum. Every Author has some good historical facts
in there books, which you have to sometimes pick out by reading other books
and making comparisons. Good luck all.
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!