StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 08 Apr 14, 14:31
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99]
good book

this book is printed with a limit 0f 700 and is almost impossible to buy (i know it i tried last week on ebay it costs over 170 euro and new its prize is 290) euro
this book is out of my league
its a shame that these beautiful books are to expensive for normal working people (it shore is a beautiful book)
if you have the money you can buy this book at Livre Shez vous in france
Old 08 Apr 14, 17:26
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99] repd is on the path to success [1-99]
publication date

the publication date is November 2006
Old 08 Apr 14, 22:13
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by repd View Post
the publication date is November 2006
and one more time...

Please, somebody take me out back and shoot me.

Thanks for clarifying the matter, repd.
Old 27 Apr 14, 10:20
Recruit
France

Faucon_Maltais is a balanced individual [0]
By Order of Napoleon - The Taking of Malta

By Order of Napoleon
The Taking of Malta

New e-book downloadable from Amazon

Bonaparte issued thousands of dispatches directives and orders during the many campaigns of his military career. This e-book is a chronological compilation of his orders concerning the taking of Malta in 1798. They include orders to capture Gozo, Mdina and of course the city of Valletta. Napoleon’s orders were very specific in terms of how the French were to treat the Knights, the Maltese, and the clergy. They included radical health and education reforms intended to align Malta’s administration to the new revolutionary ideology of the French republic. He abolished nobility and slavery. He reorganized the clergy and redefined its sphere of influence. His also ordered the pillaging of the Order’s silver and precious stones from St. John’s Cathedral in Valletta.
The goal is not to judge, praise or criticize the French occupation of Malta, but to give the reader access to source documents and hopefully give some perspective to those momentous events that changed the course of Malta’s history.
Old 30 Jun 14, 18:15
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I took delivery of Erwin Muilwijk's latest tome, 'STANDING FIRM AT WATERLOO' today and after I have perused it I will give my opinion on it.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 13 Jul 14, 05:46
Corporal
United_States

camo88 is on the path to success [1-99]
Hi does anyone read the book Napoleon on Campaign firest published by Pen & Sword Military on 30 April 2014 ? I understand that it is full of Napoleonic war paintings by artists such as Vernet , Lady Butler etc. Any book reviews on such as the quality of paintings in the book and is it worth the money ? I am planning to buy one. Many thanks
Old 13 Jul 14, 08:48
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camo88 View Post
Hi does anyone read the book Napoleon on Campaign firest published by Pen & Sword Military on 30 April 2014 ? I understand that it is full of Napoleonic war paintings by artists such as Vernet , Lady Butler etc. Any book reviews on such as the quality of paintings in the book and is it worth the money ? I am planning to buy one. Many thanks
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=0

Paul
Old 13 Jul 14, 09:27
Corporal
United_States

camo88 is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks, Paul
Old 20 Jul 14, 19:25
General of the Forums
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
I took delivery of Erwin Muilwijk's latest tome, 'STANDING FIRM AT WATERLOO' today and after I have perused it I will give my opinion on it.

Paul
Here is my take on Erwins 'Standing Firm at Waterloo' tome.

It's pretty good but I must say that the editing/typo (dye instead of die) (it has been translated) is a bit 'sticky' in places. But other than that, I have enjoyed it. Erwin hasn't pulled any punches, giving accounts of pre-battle foraging/looting (as occurred with most allied units) and how some committed such heinous crimes that they were pursued and either shot or arrested by units of their own army.

There is also a pretty good and interesting account of what went on at Halle, which is almost totally ignored by other authors of the Battle. And the fighting at Hugoumont is very well researched too.

There are good accounts on the cavalry and their active contribution in defending the squares. And a chapter on the medical services in which there is a memo by Surgeon 1st Class K.G.E Mergel, dated 3rd July 1815, scathing attack over the inadequate ambulance wagon transport that constantly broke down, and of their other medical equipment that was also much inferior to that of the British.

There are numerous mentions that during the final assault that most of the Allied guns on the ridge line were out of ammunition so the small but significant mention of Krahmer's battery and it's crucial artillery support against the Guard Grenadiers and Chasseurs assault is adequately underlined with the sentence "Shot to pieces by Kramer's Battery" but Erwin also shows that Chasse's intervention with Detmer's Brigade was not the main factor of the Chasseurs & Grenadiers breaking on that part of the line as they were already in retreat. Mind imo, if the Grenadiers had been successful, Detmer's brave lads would have been there to thwart any gain.

There is a misleading account where what would be part of the last throw of the line infantry dice, Pegot's four battalions went forward against the allied troops just to the west and north of La Haie Saint. Erwin states that (according to Major Dawson Kelly of the 73rd):

"who in his own words recounted how one column ascended upon the British [ Halkett's 5th] and threw it back in disorder. Amidst the musketry with the French soldiers Halkett himself received a ball through his moth and was obliged to retreat to the rear."

In the Notes (No19) Erwin states that the above account comes from letter 145 by Major Dawson Kelly, 73rd Regiment of foot, dated 26th November 1834. Siborne's Waterloo Letters.

I looked this up and found that what Kelly actually said was rather different.

"I should say about half past six when passing with the Duke and other Officers in the rear of the 5th Brigade there appeared to be some little confusion, when the Duke, without directing himself particularly to any person, said, "See what's wrong there.''

I rode up to the Brigade, and whilst addressing myself to Sir Colin Halkett, he at the instant received a wound in the face, the ball passing through his mouth, and he was consequently obliged to retire to the rear....

He says nothing of the 5th Brigade being "thrown back" by this advancing French column but does say this of the enemy.

"At this period the attacking Column was again retiring"

And

"When the last attacking column made its appearance through the fog and smoke, which throughout the day lay thick on the ground. Their advance was as usual with the French, very noisy and evidently reluctant, the Officers being in advance some yards cheering their men on. They however kept up a confused and running fire, which we did not reply to until they reached nearly on a level with us, when a well directed volley put them into confusion which they did not appear to recover, but after a short interval of musketry on both sides, they turned about and fled."

If you like coloured plates, illustrations and maps, I suggest you buy the colour version. It's more expensive but then again, the black and white version is not so good because the detail in the plates look washed out. I brought the Black and white copy; I intend to invest in the colour one.

I will rate all future books from now on and rate this:

7/10

Paul

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 20 Jul 14 at 19:38..
Old 23 Jul 14, 18:30
General of the Forums
England

Just a sort of heads up!

This book is due for release early next year. It's a reprint of a book that in any condition or edition will knock you back hundreds of £/$s

http://www.amazon.com/The-Battle-Wat...al+Military%29

I've read the original on Google books and can highly recommend it. Especially as it's pre-release price is only £8.56 GBP or $11.51 USD

Paul
Sponsored Links

Old 23 Jul 14, 18:55
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Thanks for the heads-up. I downloaded it from Google.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 01 Sep 14, 02:57
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
From Keith Rocco's Facebook page:

Earlier this year I was approached by a publisher to produce a series of paintings depicting Napoleon's Last Army of the 100 Days Campaign of 1815. The paintings will appear in four volumes, two on the Guard units and the other two dedicated to the Line.

It's been a long time since I've done anything on this subject and I'm having a great time revisiting it once again...in depth! The plan is to have 15 paintings in each volume. I'll keep adding information here on FB and on my website, www.keithrocco.com, as the project progresses.

The first volume should be released this year.

4th Light Infantry with Guidon

----------------------------------------

Guard Equipment Train

Old 01 Sep 14, 07:27
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Great stuff Z, and thanks very much.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 17 Sep 14, 01:15
General of the Forums
England

Well I have read Gareth Glovers new book, Waterloo: Myth and Reality, which is yet another tome of this famous battle 'and campaign'.

The book is 268 pages long with 16 pages of plates (16 illustrations by Giuseppe Rava) in colour, some black and white pictures and maps dotted throughout. There are about 40 odd grey, highlight/salient point sections dotted amongst the chapters, of varying size from a quarter to sometimes two pages in length, outlining myths, controversies and little known facts.

The preface is of how much has been written on the Waterloo campaign, the jingoism, misinformation, misunderstanding misquoting and some bad telling's by historians and poets that has gone on hand-in-hand with it since almost the last shot 'that put a final closure to the wars, was fired.

Gareth also has a word to say about Napoleon and his lionisation by people today "would be hardly recognisable to almost anyone in 1815. Even within France it is clear that by this date the majority of the population did not follow him with any form of joy or hope" and is even prepared to bring up names like Adolf Hitler, Idi Amin and Saddam Hussein into the discussion, though I will leave in what context they are mentioned, for the reader to find out.

The rest is of the British negative press of the Dutch-Belgians and the bad reports that were written about them by some British officers, and The French, who 'Napoleon being the worst of them' started casting blame around and the excuses of the loss being due to Nappy being ill.

I'm glad to see that Gareth has cast blame on the historians for the myths that have grown up with the battle rather than them being 'made up' by the combatants.

Though there are chapters on the background and aftermath of the Waterloo campaign, this review is of the run down of the events from the 16th to 18th June

The Battle of Ligny is covered by just 7 pages of text and one pretty good map of the battle, with no myths or salient points highlighted. What is written of the battle is what is generally known like the struggle for Saint Armand la Hay, Wagnelee and other villages and that of the commitment of the Guard to the battle etc, etc.

The Battle of Quatre Bras is only 16 pages and two maps long with accounts almost exclusively of those of the British, their struggle against the Lancers and Cuirassiers and the controversy of the 69th's lost Regimental colours. There is the accounts of the 42nd and 44th's encounter with the lancers, how the former beat them off by forming square around them and killing or capturing those trapped within and the latter who formed back-to-back (a' la the 28th, at Alexandria some 14 years and 3 months earlier). But that of the 33rd and the dramatic loss and recovery of their colour is not remarked on, and the calamity that overtook both them and the 73rd is hardly remarked upon either.

A lot is recounted of the Guards battle (with Brunswickers) to win the fight for Bossu Wood, the heavy casualties it incurred within and at the southern edge of the wood. But then the battle account peters out with "the heights of Gemioncourt were seized as darkness descended, and the allied troops were only too happy to cease firing and slump to the ground as the French units slipped away into the gloom."

The main highlighted points of this section are:

What happened to d'Erlon's corps?
Who lost the colours of the 69th Foot?
What happened to them?
Could Wellington see the fighting at Ligny from Quatre Bras?

Retreat Is mainly an account of the retreat to Mont St Jean, what happened at Genappe, the ensuing cavalry battle and the slacking of the persuit after this encounter. There are 9 pages of text with two maps (one a rather awfully reproduced picture of De Lancey's map with pencil marks upon it 'reputed though not 100% sure' made by the Duke)

The highlighted points of this section are:

Who chose the position of Waterloo?
Did Wellington meet Blucher the night before Waterloo?

The section on the battle itself from The Battle Lines are Formed to the Final Advance is 99 pages long, about 10 maps, all the coloured illustrations and covers the battle pretty well, though as with all the other accounts where the point as to whether British squares were broken, Gareth, like all the rest trots out the same old (published 30 years after the battle) recollection of Private 'he got the rank during the battle correct' Morris, the only such account. Many others in the division that left their accounts for posterity say nothing of such an incident. Remember! Morris' recollections are suspect, like that of his witnessing the incident at Genappe and his 'encounter' with Cpl of Horse, John Shaw of the Life Guards. He also seemed to know what was happening on other parts of the allied line even though he couldn't possibly have seen those incidents.

I wont comment on the other points of the battle as I will be here 'diatribing' for ever.

The highlighted points of this section are:

What of Louis and his Royal Army?
Napoleon's Observatory?
Who Built the Observatory and did Napoleon use it?
What Time did the battle commence?
The 5-year-old girl who remained during the fight
The draw well at Hougoumont
The second break-in
The Grand Battery
Bijlandt's Brigade at Waterloo
Death of Sir William Ponsonby
Life Guardsman Shaw
How many eagles were captured?
Truth regarding the sunken way
Why didn't the cavalry spike the guns?
Wellington's displeasure with the allied artillery
Were any allied squares broken?
Are Mercer's claims true?
Was Uxbridge really happy with the performance of his cavalry?
How many of the defenders of La Haye Saint survived?
Did the Nassau troops flee Papelotte?
Did Napoleon see the Prussians at Chapelle St Lambert?
Was the great secret divulged over dinner?
Evidence for the Guards attack
The capture of General Cambronne
Was Mercer's troop decimated by friendly fire?
What happened to Napoleon's coach?
Who actually won the Battle of Waterloo?

I have issues with some of the points raised in the above and will gladly discuss any of them with anyone (including the author) who reads Gareth's book.

Another: 7/10

Paul

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 17 Sep 14 at 01:34..
Old 18 Sep 14, 01:19
General
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
From Keith Rocco's Facebook page:

Earlier this year I was approached by a publisher to produce a series of paintings depicting Napoleon's Last Army of the 100 Days Campaign of 1815. The paintings will appear in four volumes, two on the Guard units and the other two dedicated to the Line.

It's been a long time since I've done anything on this subject and I'm having a great time revisiting it once again...in depth! The plan is to have 15 paintings in each volume. I'll keep adding information here on FB and on my website, www.keithrocco.com, as the project progresses.

The first volume should be released this year.

4th Light Infantry with Guidon

----------------------------------------

Guard Equipment Train

Another sample...

From Keith Rocco's Facebook page: "This is a really interesting figure if you're a uniform addict like myself. The helmet is the curiosity as this unit, Gendarmes d'Elite, should have been refitted with their traditional bearskin bonnets as per Napoleon's direct order. As time ran out some of the unit apparently was forced to wear the Royalist helmet, stripped of its Bourbon emblems. One of these helmets was recovered from the battlefield of Waterloo. The search for the correct configuration of this helmet took the help of 5 experts, amateur and professional, on three continents....thanks guys!"

I apologize for the poor quality of this image.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!