StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 19 Dec 13, 14:47
Banned
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400] Phebe has a spectacular aura about [400]
The Barbero and the Adkins were high on the Amazon offerings. I'll see if I can find the Fletcher, too, thanx.
Old 03 Jan 14, 17:14
Brigadier General
France
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
Maybe someone already posted this ?

http://www.darnault-militaires.info/...ex_galerie.htm
Old 30 Jan 14, 12:26
Recruit
Belgium

yvon0496 is a balanced individual [0]
Post bd napoleon

bjr a tous je recherche des bd sur napoléon Bonaparte a télécharger en pdf ou word si vous pourier m'aider merci beaucou

yvon: Pain grillé::
Old 30 Jan 14, 15:51
Corporal
Belgium

borodino1812 is on the path to success [1-99]
Salut,

Un lien ou tu trouveras ton bonheur : planche par planche tu reconstitueras une Bd sympa
http://miniaturasmilitaresalfonscano...label/WATERLOO
Old 31 Jan 14, 01:20
First Lieutenant
England
5 Year Service Ribbon 

PhilinYuma is on the path to success [1-99] PhilinYuma is on the path to success [1-99] PhilinYuma is on the path to success [1-99] PhilinYuma is on the path to success [1-99] PhilinYuma is on the path to success [1-99] PhilinYuma is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by borodino1812 View Post
Salut,

Un lien ou tu trouveras ton bonheur : planche par planche tu reconstitueras une Bd sympa
http://miniaturasmilitaresalfonscano...label/WATERLOO
Thank you! This is marvelous. The Funckens are well known in England and the US, of course, but usually in translation. This comic in French is marvelous, and you have to read it in French, which is good for us slackers.
Someone, I think on this forum, once said that the Netherlands cavalry would have done better if Anglesey had adressed them in French. Now we know that Wellington spoke French tout au long de la bataille: "Maintenant Maitland Maintenant a' vous!" Sadly, we don't see his reaction to the loss of his cavalry commander's leg. "Oups!" perhaps?
It is easy, for me at least, to skim through posts; you remind us of the value of following the links.
Cheers,
Phil
Sponsored Links

Old 03 Feb 14, 12:54
First Sergeant
Czech
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

von Aicha is on the path to success [1-99] von Aicha is on the path to success [1-99] von Aicha is on the path to success [1-99] von Aicha is on the path to success [1-99]
Gentlemen,

has anybody read this book? Is it worth the money?

Michael Crumplin - Men of Steel: Surgery in the Napoleonic Wars

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Men-Steel-Su...leonic+surgery

Sincerely,
Jan
Old 03 Feb 14, 22:23
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Aicha View Post
Gentlemen,

has anybody read this book? Is it worth the money?

Michael Crumplin - Men of Steel: Surgery in the Napoleonic Wars

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Men-Steel-Su...leonic+surgery

Sincerely,
Jan
I haven't read this title of his but I have his Bloody Fields of Waterloo.

Here is what I posted.
Quote:
I've done it again!

I forgot to post an appraisal of The Bloody Fields of Waterloo by M.K.H Crumplin.

The book is well illustrated throughout with some interesting plates maps and photographs and the book is well written, but the thing is, is that of the books 270 pages, 148 to 251 are taken up by appendix that are numbered I to XI that lists all the names of those of the medical staff present at or after the Battle of Waterloo with the major players getting a page or two of their date of birth and death, service history and in some cases, their accomplishments in civilian life.

There are individual case details (pages 83 to 144) of those wounded, Regiment by Regiment; giving accounts of the type of wounds, how the patient fared and what his fate was. Many are of notable officers like William de Lancey Alexander Gordon and some not so well known, and a few other ranks. There are just two accounts of French casualties, one being Jean Larrey, the other, Francois de Gay of the 45e Ligne.

The rest of the book is made up of: The contents, Forward, by Peter Snow, Acknowledgements and preface. The First chapter (page 11 to35) of the Medical Aspects of the Campaigns [sic] 15-18 June 1815. A rather informative few pages (36 to 56) on the organisation of the Medical staff of the Regular army 1661-1815. From page 57 to 59, we have The Medical Department of the Ordnance
And from page 60 to 82, Aftermath of Victory.

Was the book worth the £35.00 ($56.00 U.S) that I paid? The answer is No! Even though the photos and illustrations are very good and there are many of them, It doesn't justify the price I paid and certainly not the initial release price of £45.00 ($62.00)

I must post This:

In the book, there is a photo of a church memorial to Edwin Griffith who died At Waterloo.

It says:

Sacred to the memory of Thomas Grffith Esq of Rhual who died. June 18th 1811.

Of Henrietta Maria his wife, who died June 18th 1813.

And of Edwin their youngest son, Major in the 15th Light Dragoons. Who, on this day so fatal to his family. June 18th 1815 Fell in the Thirtieth year of his age pierced through the breast by five honourable wounds, while gallantly leading his Regiment....

He had an older Brother Watkin Griffith, who, also serving under Wellington, was killed leading the 29th Light Dragoons in 1803 at Laswaree in India. He like his brother, was 30 years old and died of the same wound to the thorax by cannon fire.

Fate in life and death can throw up some very surprising coincidences.

Paul
That aside, to add an unusual subject type such as this to your Napoleonic knowledge and library can only be a good thing.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 04 Feb 14, 14:06
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Agree. I have it and it's a very worthy volume that adds to the knowledge of the period.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 04 Feb 14, 15:09
First Sergeant
Czech
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

von Aicha is on the path to success [1-99] von Aicha is on the path to success [1-99] von Aicha is on the path to success [1-99] von Aicha is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks for help, gentlemen.

Sincerely,
Jan
Old 19 Feb 14, 23:58
Lance Corporal
Australia

Agathosdaimon is on the path to success [1-99]
Hi all

is anyone here familiar with the book Napoleon 1813 by Yehezkel Shelah? is it any good, illustrated? i cannot find any detail on it and there are no reviews i can find either.
On that matter although Nafzigers work i presume is the best, how do the works by Digby Smith and Loraine Petre stack up in comparison? whats the best book on the 1813 campaign overall?
Old 20 Feb 14, 02:45
Corporal
Armchair_General

Hero worshipper is on the path to success [1-99]
See if this might help you a somewhat

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=143907
Old 20 Feb 14, 17:55
Lance Corporal
Australia

Agathosdaimon is on the path to success [1-99]
thanks - though that seems to be about 1807 more so and not the 1813 books - i make use of abebooks alot but still want know whether the book i get will be of some quality
Old 08 Apr 14, 01:02
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
New book on the horizon...

Z
Old 08 Apr 14, 05:18
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
New book on the horizon...

Z
Now that is not only a must-have, but a keeper. Thanks very much for posting this, Z.

Do you know the publication date?

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 08 Apr 14, 10:09
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Now that is not only a must-have, but a keeper. Thanks very much for posting this, Z.

Do you know the publication date?

Sincerely,
M
Don't know yet, Kevin. I will look into it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!