StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 19 Dec 12, 16:43
Brigadier General
Ireland
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100] Wolfe Tone has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Jackson View Post
Liked The Dark Room at Longwood: A Voyage to St Helena, by Paul Kauffman, a travelogue/history.
Good Book that...
Old 21 Dec 12, 12:01
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
My Christmas Offering - lots of paintings & some uniforms enjoy :

Richard Simkin (1840-1926) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnai...bum=182&page=1

Detaille, Edouard (1848 -1912) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=74

Woodville, Richard (1856 - 1927) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=61

Meissonier, Jean Louis Ernest (1815 -1891) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=62

Hoffmann, Anton (1863 - 1938) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=80

Alexander Leonov http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=159

Kossak, Wojciech (1857 - 1942) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=144

Kossak, Juliusz (1824 - 1899) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=115

Rousselot, Lucien (1900 - 1992) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=136

Bogdan Pavlovich (1818 - 1903) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=146

Knötel, Richard (1857 -1914) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=166

Jan , Chelminski ( 1851-1925) http://gallery.reenactor.ru/thumbnails.php?album=180
Old 21 Dec 12, 18:05
Sergeant Major
Canada

ITALICA ONE is on the path to success [1-99] ITALICA ONE is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janos View Post
The Napleonic era is one of the most written about timeperiods in history. There are hundreds of good books on the armies and tactics of Napoleon and his peers in other nations.

I've only dabbled in that era, and have stuck faithfully to my Osprey books and a few other good books on uniforms.

What are your favorite books on the Naploenic wars?

JS
Napoleon's Marshals, 26 marshals from Augereau to Victor, all divided into chapters and written by differnt authors, it is edited by David G. Chandler and published by Macmillan

Death bed last words. Always pay the Legions, Septimius Severus

http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/...bonaparte.html
Old 27 Jan 13, 12:11
Major
Germany
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITALICA ONE View Post
Napoleon's Marshals, 26 marshals from Augereau to Victor, all divided into chapters and written by differnt authors, it is edited by David G. Chandler and published by Macmillan

Death bed last words. Always pay the Legions, Septimius Severus

http://www.greatmilitarybattles.com/...bonaparte.html
I have recently bought Elting´s "Swords around a throne" and I think about buying this edition about the marchals.

Is it a must have?

"Kerls, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?"
Old 27 Jan 13, 12:20
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
It's the best so far on the marshals, although the scholarship is somewhat uneven based on who wrote what.

I highly recommend it.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Jan 13, 12:56
Major
Germany

rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100] rogg has demonstrated strength of character [100]
The only thing I know about Chandler is that he has written an introduction in the edition I have of the King´s German Legion by Beamish. Is his book "Napoleon" good?

Can you recommend the atlas by Elting?

"Kerls, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?"
Old 27 Jan 13, 13:17
General of the Forums
United_States

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogg View Post
The only thing I know about Chandler is that he has written an introduction in the edition I have of the King´s German Legion by Beamish. Is his book "Napoleon" good?

I believe that anything by Chandler should be read, whether or not what he says is agreed with.

The Esposito/Elting Atlas is essential to any study of the Napoleonic Wars. It is the best, bar none, operational study of the wars in general and was designed as a text for the cadets at West Point for their year-long course in The History of the Military Art. It is excellent.

I would recommend getting the latest edition, 1999 published by Greenhill, as the Recommended Reading List in the back of the book has been updated with current scholarship and the few errors in the text were addressed by Col Elting, who actually wrote the text. General Esposito was his boss at West Point and supervised and edited his work.

Sincerely,
M
Old 27 Jan 13, 19:55
General of the Forums
United_States

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogg View Post

I second Messena's endorsement of both books.
"Th Campaigns of Napoleon" is an excellent overview of the Napoleonic wars. I note that it is now available on kindle too.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 29 Jan 13, 06:53
Sergeant Major
Denmark

El.Cid is on the path to success [1-99] El.Cid is on the path to success [1-99]
With this being the 200th anniversery, is there anything happening? I have not seen anything for the campaign in Germany. Other than here or there. I was planning a trip down to Bautzen in May, but battlefields are not well defined in Germany. Does anyone have more info or a link. Thanks in advance
Old 02 Feb 13, 22:30
General of the Forums
United_States

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El.Cid View Post
With this being the 200th anniversery, is there anything happening? I have not seen anything for the campaign in Germany. Other than here or there. I was planning a trip down to Bautzen in May, but battlefields are not well defined in Germany. Does anyone have more info or a link. Thanks in advance
In October there will be a reenactment to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Leipzig. The event will take place on October 19-20.
I do not have any links for the event as yet.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 18 Feb 13, 15:34
Brigadier General
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
I just received this:

Quote:
Exciting news…
The English language edition of Keith’s newest book,
“Napoleon’s First Italian Campaign”
is in the final, pre-press phase, with the layout completed. We expect to
have the book in house by late May. Look for further information on our
website, http://www.keithrocco.com/ And in a future email announcement.
More details about this book:

http://www.keithrocco.com/inventory/...=11&seriesid=4
Old 06 Mar 13, 07:25
Corporal
United_States

Sgt. Saunders is on the path to success [1-99]
David Chandler's and John R. Elting's books are first class. I'd also reccomend Robert B. Asprey's two volume work, "The Rise of Napoleon Bonaparte" and "The Reign of Napoleon Bonaparte".
Old 05 May 13, 10:51
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
Siborne Maps of Waterloo Campaign 1815

Siborne Maps of Waterloo Campaign

Markus Stein has just published all maps of the very rare Siborne atlas on the 1815 Campaign as part of Napoleon Online in a reasonable resolution.
Just follow the link given below and click on the thumbnails to enlarge the maps. These maps are really detailed and especially the ground is printed nearly "3-D".
http://www.feldzug1815.de/index.php?...d=22&Itemid=40
Old 14 May 13, 07:34
Staff Sergeant
Russia

vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99] vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99] vladimir Pantin is on the path to success [1-99]
New Russian book.
"Army of Alexander I. Infantry, artillery, engineers". The Authors O. Leonov, S. Popov, A. Kibovsky.

Old 14 May 13, 07:59
General of the Forums
United_States

Where is it available?

Sincerely,
M
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!