StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 29 Jun 12, 04:43
General of the Forums
England
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I have Gareth Glover's latest Waterloo Archive Volume IV: British Sources, which was delivered to me via a neighbour due to the postman delivering to the wrong address yesterday.

As usual I will post my thoughts on the tome.

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 29 Jun 12, 05:48
Brigadier General
France
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
Question

Quote:
I have Gareth Glover's latest Waterloo Archive Volume IV: British Sources, which was delivered to me via a neighbour due to the postman delivering to the wrong address yesterday.

As usual I will post my thoughts on the tome.
Please do.

(we got the same postman amazingly )

I don' t know if this book i' m curently reading exist in english:

Mémoires from Capitaine Francois, aka "the egyptian dromedary", a french soldier who fought "from Valmy to Waterloo".

A soldier point of view about various aspects of war, mainly the fights. Very interesting to read and learn from.

I guess you can read some sketches from him in this book:

Old 18 Jul 12, 08:48
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Gentlemen:
Thank you for the recommendations above. I now have 2 more books on my Amazon "wishlist".
Still, I would like to find one on the Battle of Dresden.
Is anyone aware of a modern treatment of that battle?
Thanks for your help.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 19 Jul 12, 05:51
Private
UK

Major Kokup is on the path to success [1-99]
Thanks, for the best book review i ever read.
Well laid out with clear precise explanations.

Have ordered book with your comments in mind.
Regards.
Old 22 Jul 12, 04:39
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambronnne View Post
Gentlemen:
Thank you for the recommendations above. I now have 2 more books on my Amazon "wishlist".
Still, I would like to find one on the Battle of Dresden.
Is anyone aware of a modern treatment of that battle?
Thanks for your help.
The only one I can think of is by George Nafziger: "Napoleon at Dresden" which of course forms part of his 1813 trilogy. The other volumes are "Lutzen and Bautzen" & "Napoleon at Leipzig".
Sponsored Links

Old 18 Aug 12, 00:27
General of the Forums
England

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I said ages ago that I would post comments on Gareth Glovers Waterloo Archive Volume IV.

I must say that the book is much better than his Volume III, with a good selection of letters on what the Light cavalry was doing during the final advance. Of Thomas Playford who was a 2nd Life Guards trooper, who went a long way to document some interesting eye witness accounts on the charge against D'Erlons Corps and how he saw Corporal Shaw wounded and knocked off his horse by a spent ball early in the action, before remounting another horse and rejoining the fray.

An excellent account of Lt. George Simmons of the 95th, who describes his very serious wounding and subsequent trials, tribulations and recovery post battle.

And a very poignant couple of letters from Ensign the Honourable Samuel S. Barrington of the 2nd Battalion of the 1st Foot Guards who sent his last letter home to his mother on the 15th June, thereafter the letters sent to his family are from his officer peers within the Guards and friends of the family.

A good book? yup! and well worth the £20 that I paid for it.

I have also purchased in the past week, all three volumes (the fourth and final book is out in two years time) of Rifle Green in the Peninsular by George Caldwell and Robert Cooper, illustrated by James Dann and by published by Bugle Horn. I have only read some 77 pages of volume one which covers the landing at Mondego Bay in Portugal, the battles of Rolica, Vimerio and the Cintra scandal.

Even though the books are obviously focused on the Rifle regiments, the battles themselves are also described in the bigger picture with each battle being accompanied with a battle map and the text holding a listing of the Allied OOB for each engagement and names of all riflemen who were casualties at said battles, with vignette illustrations and black & white photos of the prominent parts of the battlefields. The other interesting thing about the books are the tables at the end of the books that lists names of those that were sick or died after returning to England from the evacuation of northern Spain. But the bonus about these books are the colour illustrations by James Dann 'four in each' portraying incidents of note.

All three books cost me £86 which if you include the £6 booklet on Waterloo by the same authors and which I hope will be here soon and Volume IV which I suspect will be in the £40 bracket; then the outlay will be a grand total of £132 and worth every penny

When I opened the parcel I noticed that Volume I, didn't have a dust jacket and I was about to contact the publishers when I noticed a 'with compliments' note inside the cover written by Robert Cooper (one of the authors) that says:

"Many thanks for your order; Volume I was produced without a dust jacket. A dust jacket may be produced with Volume IV in a couple of years time".

Regards, Robert Cooper.

For those interested, here is their website:

http://www.buglehorn.co.uk/

Paul

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 18 Aug 12 at 00:43..
Old 18 Aug 12, 23:51
General
Brazil
Distinguished Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 
Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 

Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Zouave has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibble201Bty View Post
I said ages ago that I would post comments on Gareth Glovers Waterloo Archive Volume IV.
Thanks for keeping your promisse, Paul.
Old 22 Aug 12, 07:41
Recruit
England

DerKaiser is a balanced individual [0]
I'm currently looking to purchase 'The Campaigns of Napoleon' by David G Chandler. But the only copies available are used or too expensive. I hope they reprint it sometime soon.
Old 22 Aug 12, 12:51
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerKaiser View Post
I'm currently looking to purchase 'The Campaigns of Napoleon' by David G Chandler. But the only copies available are used or too expensive. I hope they reprint it sometime soon.

Good luck on that, as I can't even get a copy and
I have all his other Nap books. Lets hope they do
do a re-print.
Old 22 Aug 12, 13:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I can't believe the price the book is going for on Amazon.

I did find a copy available on abebooks for $107.00 and change if either of you are interested.

I still can't believe over $400.00 for a copy. Unbelievable.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 22 Aug 12, 15:15
General of the Forums
England

They are for sale at Abe Books from £45.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-searc...dler/sortby/3/

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...st%2520soldier

If you are desperate, do what I do; buy a second hand copy and keep it until the reprint comes out

Paul

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 22 Aug 12 at 15:24..
Old 24 Aug 12, 03:11
Private
United_States

Rostov is a balanced individual [0]
A good book about Napoleon Bonaparte himself is Napoleon by Felix Markham. A magnificent novel about the time period is The Red and the Black by Stendhal
Old 25 Aug 12, 17:35
General of the Forums
Luxembourg
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

General Brock has disabled reputation

Wish it would hurry up I can't wait any longer...
Old 25 Aug 12, 21:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Tournament 1 of the ACG 2017-2018 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Me too, James. I'm looking forward to this one.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 30 Aug 12, 09:29
Staff Sergeant
United_States

TheBubba is on the path to success [1-99]
Can anyone recomend a book on the 1812 Russian campaign? Something other than War & Peace lol
Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!