StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 17 Mar 12, 20:29
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
Thank you my friend. I need to read up on this. Another area I didn't fool with.
Old 17 Mar 12, 21:14
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
You're very much welcome.

Many years ago it became my primary area of interest because of the book A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars by Vincent J. Esposito and John R. Elting.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 17 Mar 12, 21:16
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
I'll have to look for that. The Revolution book looks exciting.
Old 18 Mar 12, 10:27
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

If you'd like a list of recommendations for the period, I would be glad to do so for you.

However, if you get the Atlas (the newest 1999 edition from Greenhill), the reading list is excellent at the back of the book. I looked for one book, Avantages d'une bonne discipline by JB Avril for forty years before finally finding a copy.

Of course, now it's on Google Books, but if I can afford it, I prefer to get a real copy.

That being said, I have about 100 volumes in 1" to 3" binders of copies of books and military prints.

Between that and collecting toy and model soldiers, I drive my wife nuts, but my little boy loves them.

Sincerely,
M
Old 18 Mar 12, 19:30
General of the Forums
United_States

I'd appreciate that. And I drive my wife nuts too,but the good thing is she loves this as much as I.
It helps she grasps some things quicker,maybe cause I'm 53 and she will be 29??

Old 19 Mar 12, 19:41
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

This list ought to get you started. I have all of them in my library and when you get through these, let me know and I'll get a second list together for you.

Sincerely,
M

Alexander, Don W., Rod of Iron: French Counterinsurgency Policy in Aragon during the Peninsular War, Scholarly Resources Inc., Wilmington Delaware, 1985.
Aubrey, Octave, Napoleon Soldier and Emperor, JB Lippincott Company, New York, 1938.
Barres, Jean-Baptiste, Memoirs of a Napoleonic Officer, The Dial Press, New York, 1925.
Belloc, Hilaire, Napoleonís Campaign of 1812 and the Retreat from Moscow, Harper and Brothers Publishers, New York, 1926.
Bourgogne, Memoirs of Sergeant Bourgogne, Peter Davies LTD, London,
Brack, Antoine de, Light Cavalry Outpost Duties, Demisolde Press, San Diego, 2000.
Brandt, Heinrich von, In the Legions of Napoleon: The Memoirs of a Polish Officer in Spain and Russia 1808-1813, Translated and Edited by Jonathan North, Greenhill, London, 1999.
Becke, AF, The Battle of Waterloo, Greenhill, London, 1995.
Brett-James, Antony, 1812: Eyewitness Accounts of Napoleonís Defeat in Russia, Macmillan, London, 1967.
Britten-Austin, Paul, 1812 The March on Moscow, Greenhill, London, 1993.
_____, 1812 Napoleon in Moscow, Greenhill, London, 1995.
_____, 1812 The Great Retreat, Greenhill, London, 1996.
_____, 1815 The Return of Napoleon, Greenhill, London, 2002.
Boulart, , Bon, Memoires Militaires du General Bon Boulart sur les Guerres de La Republique et de LíEmpire, Paris, La Librarie Illustree, nd.
Bowden, Scott, Armies at Waterloo, Empire Press, 1983.
_____, and Tarbox, Charles, Armies on the Danube, 1809, The Emperorís Press, Chicago, 1989.
_____, Napoleon and Austerlitz, The Glory Years 1805-1807, Volume I, The Emperorís Press, 1997
_____, Napoleonís Grande Armee of 1813, The Emperorís Press, Chicago, 1990.
_____, Napoleonís Finest: Marshal Davout and His 3d Corps, Combat Journal of Operations, 1805-1807, Military History Press, 2006.

Boycott-Brown, Martin, The Road to Rivoli: Napoleonís First Campaign, Cassell and Company, London, 2001.
Busch, Otto, Military System and Social Life in Old Regime Prussia, 1713-1807: The Beginnings of the Social Militarization of Prusso-German Society, Humanities Press, Inc., Boston 1997.
Camon, H., Napoleonís System of War, Translated and Annotated by George F. Nafziger, The Nafziger Collection, 2002.
Caulaincourt, Armand. With Napoleon in Russia, William Morrow and Company, New York, 1935.
_____, No Peace with Napoleon, Concluding the Memoirs of General de Caulaincourt, Duke of Vicenza, William Morrow and Company, New York, 1936.
Chandler, David, ed, Napoleonís Marshals, MacMillan, New York, 1987.
Charrie, Pierre, Drapeaux et etenards de la Revolution et de líEmpire, Copernic, Paris, 1982.
Chlapowski, Desiree, Memoirs of a Polish Lancer, Emperorís Press, 1992.
Coignet, Jean-Roche, The Notebooks of Captain Coignet, Greenhill, London, 1989.
Chrisawn, Margaret S., The Emperorís Friend: Marshal Jean Lannes, Greenwood Press, London, 2001.
Craig, Gordon A., The Politics of the Prussian Army 1640-1945, Oxford University Press, 1955.
Clausewitz, Carl von, The Campaign of 1812 in Russia, Greenhill, London, 1982.
Connelly, Owen, Napoleonís Satellite Kingdoms, Free Press, New York, 1965.
Cronin, Vincent, Napoleon Bonaparte: An Intimate Biography, William Morrow and Company, New York, 1972.
Davout, Louis N., Operations du 3e Corps, 1806-1807, Rapport du Marechal Davout, Duc díAuerstadt, 1896, Paris.
Dempsey, Guy, Napoleonís Mercenaries: Foreign Units in the French Army Under the Consulate and Empire, 1799-1814, Greenhill, London, 2002.
Detaille, Eduard, LíArmee Francaise An Illustrated History of the French Army, 1790-1885, translated by Maureen Carlson Reinartsen, Waxtel & Hasenhauer, New York 1992.
Doisy de Villargennes, Adelbert J., Reminiscences of Army Life under Napoleon Bonaparte, Robert Clarke and Co., Cincinnati, 1884.
Duffy, Christopher, The Military Experience in the Age of Reason, Atheneum, New York, 1988.
_____, The Army of Frederick the Great, Revised edition, The Emperorís Press, Chicago, 1996.
_____, Austerlitz 1805, Cassell and Co., London, 1977.
Du Teil, Jean, The New Usa of Artillery in Field Wars: Necessary Knowledge, The Nafziger Collection, 2003.
Elting, John R. Swords Around A Throne: Napoleonís Grande Armee, The Free Press, New York, 1988.
_____, The Superstrategists, Scribnerís, New York, 1985.
_____, Translator, Military Life Under Napoleon: The Memoirs of Captain Elzear Blaze, The Emperorís Press, Chicago, 1995.
_____, ĎJomini, Disciple of Napoleon?,í Military Affairs, Volume 28, Number 1, Spring 1964.
Epstein, Robert M., Prince Eugene at War, Empire Press, 1984.

Esposito, Vincent J. and Elting, John R. A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars, Greenhill, London, 1999.
Ewald, Johann von, A Treatise Upon the Duties of Light Troops, Ken Trotman Publishing, Huntingdon 2006.
Eysturlid, Lee, W. The Formative Influences, Theories, and Campaigns of the Archduke Carl of Austria, Greenwood Press, London, 2000.
Fain, Baron, Napoleon: How He Did It, The Memoirs of Baron Fain First Secretary of the Emperorís Cabinet, Proctor Jones Publishing Company, San Francisco, 1998.
_____, Memoirs of the Invasion of France, 1814, London, 1834.
Faber du Faur, North, Jonathan, With Napoleon in Russia, Greenhill, London, 2000.
Fezensac, Raymond de,A Journal of the Russian Campaign, Ken Trotman Ltd., 1988.
Fletcher, Ian, ed, Voices from the Peninsula: Eyewitness Accounts by Soldiers of Wellingtonís Army 1808-1814, Greenhill, London, 2001.
Forrest, Alan, Soldiers of the French Revolution, Duke University Press, London, 1990.
_____, Napoleonís Men: The Soldiers of the Revolution and Empire, Hambledon and London, London and New York, 2002.
_____, Conscripts and Deserters: The Army and French Society during the Revolution and Empire, Oxford University Press, New York, 1989.
Foucart, P., Campagne de Prusse, Librarie Militaire, Paris, 1887.
Funck, Ferdinand von, In the Wake of Napoleon, edited and translated by Oadkley Williams, London, 1931.
Gallaher, John G., The Iron Marshal: A Biography of Louis N. Davout, Feffer & Simons, Inc., London, 1976.
Gates, David, The Spanish Ulcer A History of the Peninsular War, WW Norton and Co., New York, 1986.
__________, The British Light Infantry Arm, 1790-1815, BT Batsford Ltd, London, 1987.
Gill, Jack, With Eagles to Glory, Greenhill, London, 1992.
Girod de líAin, Maurice, Grands Artilleurs: Drouot, Senarmont, Eble, Paris, 1895.
Glover, Gareth, Letters from the Battle of Waterloo: Unpublished Correspondence by Allied Officers from the Siborne Papers, Greenhill, London, 2004.
Griffith, Paddy, The Art of War of Revolutionary France, Greenhill, London, 1998.
Gourgaud, Gaspard, Napoleon and the Grand Army in Russia, Anthony Finley, Philadelphia, 1825.
_____, The Campaign of 1815, London, 1818.
Hennebert, Gribeauval, Lieutenant-General des Armess du Roy, Paris, 1896.
Herold, J. Christopher, editor and translator, The Mind of Napoleon: A Selection of his Written and Spoken Words, Columbia University Press, 1955.
Hollander, O., Nos Drapeaux et Etenards de 1812 a 1815, Ken Trotman Publishing, Huntingdon, 2006.
Holtman, Robert B., Napoleonic Propanganda, Greenwood Press, New York, 1969.
Howard, John Eldred, Letters and Documents of Napoleon: Volume I The Rise to Power, London, The Cresset Press, 1961.
Horward, Donald D., Editor, Napoleonic Military History, A Bibliography, Greenhill, London, 1986.
______, ĎJean-Jacques Pelet: Warrior of the Pen and Sword,í The Journal of Military History, Volume 53, Number 1, January 1989.
Hourtoulle, FG, Le General Comte Charles Lasalle 1775-1809, Paris 1980.
Houssaye, Henry, Napoleon and the Campaign of 1815: Waterloo, Naval and Military Press, 2004.
_____, Napoleon and the Campaign of France, 1814, Worley Publications, 1994.
Johnson, David, The French Cavalry 1792-1815, Belmont Publishing, London, 1989.
_____, Napoleonís Cavalry and its Leaders, Holmes and Meier, New York, 1978.
Lachouque, Henry, and Brown, Anne, The Anatomy of Glory, Greenhill, London, 1997.
_____, Tranie, Jean, and Carmigniani, J-C., Napoleonís War in Spain, The French Peninsular Campaigns, 1807-1814, Arms and Armour Press, London, 1982.
Lanza, Conrad, Source Book of the Marengo Campaign in 1800, The General Staff School, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, 1922.
Lawford, James, Napoleonís Last Campaigns 1813-1815, Roxby Press, 1977.
Lejeune, Louis-Francois, Memoires du General Lejeune, Editions du Grenadier, nd.
Leggiere, Michael, Napoleon and Berlin, University of Oklahoma Press, 2002.
Longford, Elizabeth, Wellington Years of the Sword, Harper and Rowe, New York, 1969.
Lynn, John A., The Bayonets of the Republic, Motivation and Tactics in the Army of Revolutionary France, 1791-1794, Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, 1996.
Luvaas, Jay, Napoleon on the Art of War, The Free Press, New York, 1999.
Mackesy, Piers, War in the Mediterranean 1803-1810, Longmans, Green, and Company, New York, 1957.
Marbot, Marcellin, The Memoirs of Baron de Marbot, 2 volumes, Longmans, Green, and Co., London and New York, 1892.
Martin, Emmanuel, La Gendarmerie Francaise en Espagne et en Portugal (Campaagnes de 1807 a 1814), C. Terana, Paris, 1998.
Maude, FN, The Jena Campaign, Greenhill, London, 1998.
Meneval, CF de, Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte, Volumes I and II, PF Collier & Sons, New York, 1910.
Mercer, Cavalie, A Journal of the Waterloo Campaign, De Capo Press, New York, 1995.
Mikaberidze, Alexander, The Russian Officer Corps in the Revolutionry and Napoleonic Wars, Savas Beattie, 2005.
Morvan, Jean, Le Soldat Imperial, 2 volumes, Teissedre, Paris, 1999.
Niegolewski, Andre, Les Polonais A Somo-Sierra: En Espagne en 1808, Librarie des Deux Empires, Paris, 2001.
Noel, Jean-Nicolas-Auguste, With Napoleonís Guns, The Military Memoirs of an Officer of the First Empire, Edited, Translated, and Introduced by Rosemary Brindle, Greenhilll, London, 2005.
Markham, J. David, Imperial Glory, Greenhill, London.
Nafziger, George, Imperial Bayonets, Greenhill, London 1996.
Nardin, Pierre, Gribeauval Lieutenant General des Armees du Roi (1715-1789), Paris, nd.
Oman, Carola, Napoleonís Viceroy: Eugene de Beauharnais, Funk and Wagnalls, New York, 1966.
Oman, Charles, A History of the Peninsular War, 7 volumes, Greenhill, London,
_____, Wellingtonís Army, Edward Arnold, London, 1913.
_____, Studies in the Napoleonic Wars, Greenhill, London, 1989.
Paret, Peter, Yorck and the Era of Prussian Reform, Princeton University Press, 1966.
Parker, Harold T., Three Napoleonic Battles, Duke University Press, 1983.
Parquin, Charles, Napoleonís Victories: The Memoirs of Charles Parquin, Captain of the Imperial Guard, The Werner Company, Chicago, 1893.
Pelet, Jean Jacques, Horward, Donald D., ed, The French Campaign in Portugal 1810-1811, University of Minnesota Press, 1973.
Petit, Joseph, Marengo, or the Campaign of Italy by the Army of Reserve, Under the Command of the Chief Consul Bonaparte, Philadelphia, 1801.
Petre, F. Lorraine, Napoleon and the Archduke Charles, Arms and Armor Press, London, 1976.
_____, Napoleonís Last Campaign in Germany-1813, Arms and Armor Press, London, 1974.
_____, Napoleonís Campaign in Poland, 1806-1807, Greenhill, London, 1989.
_____, Napoleonís Conquest of Prussia, Greenhill, London, 1993.
_____, Napoleon at Bay 1814, Greenhill, London, 1994.
Phipps, Ramsay, The Armies of the First French Republic, Oxford University Press, London, 1926-1939.
Rapp, Jean, Memoirs of Count Rapp, 1st Aide-de-Camp to Napoleon, Henry Colburn and Company, London, 1823.
Regnault, Jean, Les Aigles Imperiale et le Drapeau Tricolore 1804-1815, J. Peyronnet, Paris, 1967.
Richardson, Robert, Larrey: Surgeon to Napoleonís Imperial Guard, Quiller Press, London, 2000.
Rogers, HCB, Napoleonís Army, Hipppocrene Books, New York, 1974.
Ropes, John Codman, The Campaign of Waterloo, A Military History, Charles Scribnerís Sons New York, 1893.
_____, The First Napoleon, Houghton Mifflin and Company Cambridge, 1885.
Ross, Steven T., From Flintlock to Rifle, Infantry Tactics, 1740-1866, Frank Cass & Co. Ltd, London, 1996.
Rudorff, Raymond, War to the Death: The Sieges of Saragossa 1808-1809, Purnell Book Services LTD, London, 1974.
Ryan, Edward, Napoleonís Elite Cavalry, Greenhill, London, 2001.
_____, Napoleonís Shield and Guardian: The Unconquerable General Daumesnil, Greenhill, London, 2003.
Quimby, Robert, The Background of Napoleonic Warfare, Columbia University Press, .
Rothenberg, Gunther, Napoleonís Great Adversary, Archduke Charles and the Austrian Army 1792-1814, Sarpedon, New York, 1995.

Schneid, Frederick C., Napoleonís Conquest of Europe: The War of the Third Coalition, Praeger, Westport Conneticut, 2005.
Scott, Samuel F., From Yorktown to Valmy The Transformation of the French Army in an Age of Revolution, University Press of Colorado, 1998.
_____, The Response of the Royal Army to the French Revolution: The Role and Development of the Line Army 1787-1793, Clarendon Press, 1978.
Shanahan, William O., Prussian Military Reforms 1786-1813, AMS Press, New York, 1966.
Sherwig, John M., Guineas and Gunpowder: British Foreign Aid in the Wars with France, 1793-1815, Harvard University Press, Harvard Massachusetts, 1969.
Siborne, W., History of the Waterloo Campaign, Greenhill, London, 1995.
Six, Georges, Dictionnaire Biographique des Generaux & Amiraux Francais de la Revolution et de LíEmpire (1792-1814), Paris, Bordas, 1947.
Smith, Digby, Napoleonís Regiments, Greenhill, London, 2000.
Stutterheim, Major-General, Coffin, Pine, translator, A Detailed Account of the Battle of Austerlitz, London, T. Goddard, 1807.
Thiebault, Paul, An Explanation of the Duties of the Several Etats-Majors in the French Army, London, 1801.
Thomason, John W., Jr., Editor and Illustrator, Adventures of General Marbot, Charles Scribnerís Sons, New York, 1935.
Thoumas, Charles, Les Grandes Cavaliers du Premier Empire, Paris, 1892.
Tranie, J. and Carmigniani, JC, La Patrie en Danger 1792-1793, Les Campagnes de la Revolution, Tome 1, Charles Lavauzelle, 1987.
_____, Napoleon et líAutriche-La Campagne de 1809, Copernic, Paris, 1979.
Vallotton, G., Les Suisses a la Berezina, a la Baconniere, no date.
Ward, SPG, Wellingtonís Headquarters A Study of the Administrative Problems in the Peninsula 1809-1814, Oxford University Press, 1957.
Watson, SJ, By Command of the Emperor: A Life of Marshal Berthier, Ken Trotman Ltd, Cambridge, 1988.
Whitcomb, Edward, A., Napoleonís Diplomatic Service, Duke University Press, 1979.
White, Charles, The Enlightened Soldier, Greenwood Press, 1990.
Wilson, Sir Robert, The Campaigns in Poland in 1806 and 1807, Worley Publications, 2000.
_____, Narrative of Events During the Invasion of Russia by Napoleon Bonaparte and the Retreat of the French Army 1812, Elibron Classics, 2005.
Yermelov, Alexy, The Czarís General: The Memoirs of a Russian General in the Napoleonic Wars, edited by Alexander Mikaberidze, Ravenhall, London, 2005.
Yonge, Charlotte M., Memoirs of Colonel Bugeaud, Worley Publications, 1998.
Zhmodikov, Tactics of the Russian Army in the Napoleonic Wars, two volumes, The Nafziger Collection, 2003.
Old 19 Mar 12, 22:31
General of the Forums
United_States

Thank you very much. I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 20 Mar 12, 13:35
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
England
Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 
Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 

Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Post Captain has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Must get a copy of this...looks interesting.

Haynes HMS Victory Manual Feature

Admiral Lord Nelson
Old 20 Mar 12, 17:17
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
This list ought to get you started. I have all of them in my library and when you get through these, let me know and I'll get a second list together for you.

Sincerely,
M

Alexander, Don W., Rod of Iron: French Counterinsurgency Policy in Aragon during the Peninsular War, Scholarly Resources Inc., Wilmington Delaware, 1985.
Aubrey, Octave, Napoleon Soldier and Emperor, JB Lippincott Company, New York, 1938.
Barres, Jean-Baptiste, Memoirs of a Napoleonic Officer, The Dial Press, New York, 1925.
Belloc, Hilaire, Napoleonís Campaign of 1812 and the Retreat from Moscow, Harper and Brothers Publishers, New York, 1926.
Bourgogne, Memoirs of Sergeant Bourgogne, Peter Davies LTD, London,
Brack, Antoine de, Light Cavalry Outpost Duties, Demisolde Press, San Diego, 2000.
Brandt, Heinrich von, In the Legions of Napoleon: The Memoirs of a Polish Officer in Spain and Russia 1808-1813, Translated and Edited by Jonathan North, Greenhill, London, 1999.
Becke, AF, The Battle of Waterloo, Greenhill, London, 1995.
Brett-James, Antony, 1812: Eyewitness Accounts of Napoleonís Defeat in Russia, Macmillan, London, 1967.
Britten-Austin, Paul, 1812 The March on Moscow, Greenhill, London, 1993.
_____, 1812 Napoleon in Moscow, Greenhill, London, 1995.
_____, 1812 The Great Retreat, Greenhill, London, 1996.
_____, 1815 The Return of Napoleon, Greenhill, London, 2002.
Boulart, , Bon, Memoires Militaires du General Bon Boulart sur les Guerres de La Republique et de LíEmpire, Paris, La Librarie Illustree, nd.
Bowden, Scott, Armies at Waterloo, Empire Press, 1983.
_____, and Tarbox, Charles, Armies on the Danube, 1809, The Emperorís Press, Chicago, 1989.
_____, Napoleon and Austerlitz, The Glory Years 1805-1807, Volume I, The Emperorís Press, 1997
_____, Napoleonís Grande Armee of 1813, The Emperorís Press, Chicago, 1990.
_____, Napoleonís Finest: Marshal Davout and His 3d Corps, Combat Journal of Operations, 1805-1807, Military History Press, 2006.

Boycott-Brown, Martin, The Road to Rivoli: Napoleonís First Campaign, Cassell and Company, London, 2001.
Busch, Otto, Military System and Social Life in Old Regime Prussia, 1713-1807: The Beginnings of the Social Militarization of Prusso-German Society, Humanities Press, Inc., Boston 1997.
Camon, H., Napoleonís System of War, Translated and Annotated by George F. Nafziger, The Nafziger Collection, 2002.
Caulaincourt, Armand. With Napoleon in Russia, William Morrow and Company, New York, 1935.
_____, No Peace with Napoleon, Concluding the Memoirs of General de Caulaincourt, Duke of Vicenza, William Morrow and Company, New York, 1936.
Chandler, David, ed, Napoleonís Marshals, MacMillan, New York, 1987.
Charrie, Pierre, Drapeaux et etenards de la Revolution et de líEmpire, Copernic, Paris, 1982.
Chlapowski, Desiree, Memoirs of a Polish Lancer, Emperorís Press, 1992.
Coignet, Jean-Roche, The Notebooks of Captain Coignet, Greenhill, London, 1989.
Chrisawn, Margaret S., The Emperorís Friend: Marshal Jean Lannes, Greenwood Press, London, 2001.
Craig, Gordon A., The Politics of the Prussian Army 1640-1945, Oxford University Press, 1955.
Clausewitz, Carl von, The Campaign of 1812 in Russia, Greenhill, London, 1982.
Connelly, Owen, Napoleonís Satellite Kingdoms, Free Press, New York, 1965.
Cronin, Vincent, Napoleon Bonaparte: An Intimate Biography, William Morrow and Company, New York, 1972.
Davout, Louis N., Operations du 3e Corps, 1806-1807, Rapport du Marechal Davout, Duc díAuerstadt, 1896, Paris.
Dempsey, Guy, Napoleonís Mercenaries: Foreign Units in the French Army Under the Consulate and Empire, 1799-1814, Greenhill, London, 2002.
Detaille, Eduard, LíArmee Francaise An Illustrated History of the French Army, 1790-1885, translated by Maureen Carlson Reinartsen, Waxtel & Hasenhauer, New York 1992.
Doisy de Villargennes, Adelbert J., Reminiscences of Army Life under Napoleon Bonaparte, Robert Clarke and Co., Cincinnati, 1884.
Duffy, Christopher, The Military Experience in the Age of Reason, Atheneum, New York, 1988.
_____, The Army of Frederick the Great, Revised edition, The Emperorís Press, Chicago, 1996.
_____, Austerlitz 1805, Cassell and Co., London, 1977.
Du Teil, Jean, The New Usa of Artillery in Field Wars: Necessary Knowledge, The Nafziger Collection, 2003.
Elting, John R. Swords Around A Throne: Napoleonís Grande Armee, The Free Press, New York, 1988.
_____, The Superstrategists, Scribnerís, New York, 1985.
_____, Translator, Military Life Under Napoleon: The Memoirs of Captain Elzear Blaze, The Emperorís Press, Chicago, 1995.
_____, ĎJomini, Disciple of Napoleon?,í Military Affairs, Volume 28, Number 1, Spring 1964.
Epstein, Robert M., Prince Eugene at War, Empire Press, 1984.

Esposito, Vincent J. and Elting, John R. A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars, Greenhill, London, 1999.
Ewald, Johann von, A Treatise Upon the Duties of Light Troops, Ken Trotman Publishing, Huntingdon 2006.
Eysturlid, Lee, W. The Formative Influences, Theories, and Campaigns of the Archduke Carl of Austria, Greenwood Press, London, 2000.
Fain, Baron, Napoleon: How He Did It, The Memoirs of Baron Fain First Secretary of the Emperorís Cabinet, Proctor Jones Publishing Company, San Francisco, 1998.
_____, Memoirs of the Invasion of France, 1814, London, 1834.
Faber du Faur, North, Jonathan, With Napoleon in Russia, Greenhill, London, 2000.
Fezensac, Raymond de,A Journal of the Russian Campaign, Ken Trotman Ltd., 1988.
Fletcher, Ian, ed, Voices from the Peninsula: Eyewitness Accounts by Soldiers of Wellingtonís Army 1808-1814, Greenhill, London, 2001.
Forrest, Alan, Soldiers of the French Revolution, Duke University Press, London, 1990.
_____, Napoleonís Men: The Soldiers of the Revolution and Empire, Hambledon and London, London and New York, 2002.
_____, Conscripts and Deserters: The Army and French Society during the Revolution and Empire, Oxford University Press, New York, 1989.
Foucart, P., Campagne de Prusse, Librarie Militaire, Paris, 1887.
Funck, Ferdinand von, In the Wake of Napoleon, edited and translated by Oadkley Williams, London, 1931.
Gallaher, John G., The Iron Marshal: A Biography of Louis N. Davout, Feffer & Simons, Inc., London, 1976.
Gates, David, The Spanish Ulcer A History of the Peninsular War, WW Norton and Co., New York, 1986.
__________, The British Light Infantry Arm, 1790-1815, BT Batsford Ltd, London, 1987.
Gill, Jack, With Eagles to Glory, Greenhill, London, 1992.
Girod de líAin, Maurice, Grands Artilleurs: Drouot, Senarmont, Eble, Paris, 1895.
Glover, Gareth, Letters from the Battle of Waterloo: Unpublished Correspondence by Allied Officers from the Siborne Papers, Greenhill, London, 2004.
Griffith, Paddy, The Art of War of Revolutionary France, Greenhill, London, 1998.
Gourgaud, Gaspard, Napoleon and the Grand Army in Russia, Anthony Finley, Philadelphia, 1825.
_____, The Campaign of 1815, London, 1818.
Hennebert, Gribeauval, Lieutenant-General des Armess du Roy, Paris, 1896.
Herold, J. Christopher, editor and translator, The Mind of Napoleon: A Selection of his Written and Spoken Words, Columbia University Press, 1955.
Hollander, O., Nos Drapeaux et Etenards de 1812 a 1815, Ken Trotman Publishing, Huntingdon, 2006.
Holtman, Robert B., Napoleonic Propanganda, Greenwood Press, New York, 1969.
Howard, John Eldred, Letters and Documents of Napoleon: Volume I The Rise to Power, London, The Cresset Press, 1961.
Horward, Donald D., Editor, Napoleonic Military History, A Bibliography, Greenhill, London, 1986.
______, ĎJean-Jacques Pelet: Warrior of the Pen and Sword,í The Journal of Military History, Volume 53, Number 1, January 1989.
Hourtoulle, FG, Le General Comte Charles Lasalle 1775-1809, Paris 1980.
Houssaye, Henry, Napoleon and the Campaign of 1815: Waterloo, Naval and Military Press, 2004.
_____, Napoleon and the Campaign of France, 1814, Worley Publications, 1994.
Johnson, David, The French Cavalry 1792-1815, Belmont Publishing, London, 1989.
_____, Napoleonís Cavalry and its Leaders, Holmes and Meier, New York, 1978.
Lachouque, Henry, and Brown, Anne, The Anatomy of Glory, Greenhill, London, 1997.
_____, Tranie, Jean, and Carmigniani, J-C., Napoleonís War in Spain, The French Peninsular Campaigns, 1807-1814, Arms and Armour Press, London, 1982.
Lanza, Conrad, Source Book of the Marengo Campaign in 1800, The General Staff School, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, 1922.
Lawford, James, Napoleonís Last Campaigns 1813-1815, Roxby Press, 1977.
Lejeune, Louis-Francois, Memoires du General Lejeune, Editions du Grenadier, nd.
Leggiere, Michael, Napoleon and Berlin, University of Oklahoma Press, 2002.
Longford, Elizabeth, Wellington Years of the Sword, Harper and Rowe, New York, 1969.
Lynn, John A., The Bayonets of the Republic, Motivation and Tactics in the Army of Revolutionary France, 1791-1794, Westview Press, Boulder, Colorado, 1996.
Luvaas, Jay, Napoleon on the Art of War, The Free Press, New York, 1999.
Mackesy, Piers, War in the Mediterranean 1803-1810, Longmans, Green, and Company, New York, 1957.
Marbot, Marcellin, The Memoirs of Baron de Marbot, 2 volumes, Longmans, Green, and Co., London and New York, 1892.
Martin, Emmanuel, La Gendarmerie Francaise en Espagne et en Portugal (Campaagnes de 1807 a 1814), C. Terana, Paris, 1998.
Maude, FN, The Jena Campaign, Greenhill, London, 1998.
Meneval, CF de, Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte, Volumes I and II, PF Collier & Sons, New York, 1910.
Mercer, Cavalie, A Journal of the Waterloo Campaign, De Capo Press, New York, 1995.
Mikaberidze, Alexander, The Russian Officer Corps in the Revolutionry and Napoleonic Wars, Savas Beattie, 2005.
Morvan, Jean, Le Soldat Imperial, 2 volumes, Teissedre, Paris, 1999.
Niegolewski, Andre, Les Polonais A Somo-Sierra: En Espagne en 1808, Librarie des Deux Empires, Paris, 2001.
Noel, Jean-Nicolas-Auguste, With Napoleonís Guns, The Military Memoirs of an Officer of the First Empire, Edited, Translated, and Introduced by Rosemary Brindle, Greenhilll, London, 2005.
Markham, J. David, Imperial Glory, Greenhill, London.
Nafziger, George, Imperial Bayonets, Greenhill, London 1996.
Nardin, Pierre, Gribeauval Lieutenant General des Armees du Roi (1715-1789), Paris, nd.
Oman, Carola, Napoleonís Viceroy: Eugene de Beauharnais, Funk and Wagnalls, New York, 1966.
Oman, Charles, A History of the Peninsular War, 7 volumes, Greenhill, London,
_____, Wellingtonís Army, Edward Arnold, London, 1913.
_____, Studies in the Napoleonic Wars, Greenhill, London, 1989.
Paret, Peter, Yorck and the Era of Prussian Reform, Princeton University Press, 1966.
Parker, Harold T., Three Napoleonic Battles, Duke University Press, 1983.
Parquin, Charles, Napoleonís Victories: The Memoirs of Charles Parquin, Captain of the Imperial Guard, The Werner Company, Chicago, 1893.
Pelet, Jean Jacques, Horward, Donald D., ed, The French Campaign in Portugal 1810-1811, University of Minnesota Press, 1973.
Petit, Joseph, Marengo, or the Campaign of Italy by the Army of Reserve, Under the Command of the Chief Consul Bonaparte, Philadelphia, 1801.
Petre, F. Lorraine, Napoleon and the Archduke Charles, Arms and Armor Press, London, 1976.
_____, Napoleonís Last Campaign in Germany-1813, Arms and Armor Press, London, 1974.
_____, Napoleonís Campaign in Poland, 1806-1807, Greenhill, London, 1989.
_____, Napoleonís Conquest of Prussia, Greenhill, London, 1993.
_____, Napoleon at Bay 1814, Greenhill, London, 1994.
Phipps, Ramsay, The Armies of the First French Republic, Oxford University Press, London, 1926-1939.
Rapp, Jean, Memoirs of Count Rapp, 1st Aide-de-Camp to Napoleon, Henry Colburn and Company, London, 1823.
Regnault, Jean, Les Aigles Imperiale et le Drapeau Tricolore 1804-1815, J. Peyronnet, Paris, 1967.
Richardson, Robert, Larrey: Surgeon to Napoleonís Imperial Guard, Quiller Press, London, 2000.
Rogers, HCB, Napoleonís Army, Hipppocrene Books, New York, 1974.
Ropes, John Codman, The Campaign of Waterloo, A Military History, Charles Scribnerís Sons New York, 1893.
_____, The First Napoleon, Houghton Mifflin and Company Cambridge, 1885.
Ross, Steven T., From Flintlock to Rifle, Infantry Tactics, 1740-1866, Frank Cass & Co. Ltd, London, 1996.
Rudorff, Raymond, War to the Death: The Sieges of Saragossa 1808-1809, Purnell Book Services LTD, London, 1974.
Ryan, Edward, Napoleonís Elite Cavalry, Greenhill, London, 2001.
_____, Napoleonís Shield and Guardian: The Unconquerable General Daumesnil, Greenhill, London, 2003.
Quimby, Robert, The Background of Napoleonic Warfare, Columbia University Press, .
Rothenberg, Gunther, Napoleonís Great Adversary, Archduke Charles and the Austrian Army 1792-1814, Sarpedon, New York, 1995.

Schneid, Frederick C., Napoleonís Conquest of Europe: The War of the Third Coalition, Praeger, Westport Conneticut, 2005.
Scott, Samuel F., From Yorktown to Valmy The Transformation of the French Army in an Age of Revolution, University Press of Colorado, 1998.
_____, The Response of the Royal Army to the French Revolution: The Role and Development of the Line Army 1787-1793, Clarendon Press, 1978.
Shanahan, William O., Prussian Military Reforms 1786-1813, AMS Press, New York, 1966.
Sherwig, John M., Guineas and Gunpowder: British Foreign Aid in the Wars with France, 1793-1815, Harvard University Press, Harvard Massachusetts, 1969.
Siborne, W., History of the Waterloo Campaign, Greenhill, London, 1995.
Six, Georges, Dictionnaire Biographique des Generaux & Amiraux Francais de la Revolution et de LíEmpire (1792-1814), Paris, Bordas, 1947.
Smith, Digby, Napoleonís Regiments, Greenhill, London, 2000.
Stutterheim, Major-General, Coffin, Pine, translator, A Detailed Account of the Battle of Austerlitz, London, T. Goddard, 1807.
Thiebault, Paul, An Explanation of the Duties of the Several Etats-Majors in the French Army, London, 1801.
Thomason, John W., Jr., Editor and Illustrator, Adventures of General Marbot, Charles Scribnerís Sons, New York, 1935.
Thoumas, Charles, Les Grandes Cavaliers du Premier Empire, Paris, 1892.
Tranie, J. and Carmigniani, JC, La Patrie en Danger 1792-1793, Les Campagnes de la Revolution, Tome 1, Charles Lavauzelle, 1987.
_____, Napoleon et líAutriche-La Campagne de 1809, Copernic, Paris, 1979.
Vallotton, G., Les Suisses a la Berezina, a la Baconniere, no date.
Ward, SPG, Wellingtonís Headquarters A Study of the Administrative Problems in the Peninsula 1809-1814, Oxford University Press, 1957.
Watson, SJ, By Command of the Emperor: A Life of Marshal Berthier, Ken Trotman Ltd, Cambridge, 1988.
Whitcomb, Edward, A., Napoleonís Diplomatic Service, Duke University Press, 1979.
White, Charles, The Enlightened Soldier, Greenwood Press, 1990.
Wilson, Sir Robert, The Campaigns in Poland in 1806 and 1807, Worley Publications, 2000.
_____, Narrative of Events During the Invasion of Russia by Napoleon Bonaparte and the Retreat of the French Army 1812, Elibron Classics, 2005.
Yermelov, Alexy, The Czarís General: The Memoirs of a Russian General in the Napoleonic Wars, edited by Alexander Mikaberidze, Ravenhall, London, 2005.
Yonge, Charlotte M., Memoirs of Colonel Bugeaud, Worley Publications, 1998.
Zhmodikov, Tactics of the Russian Army in the Napoleonic Wars, two volumes, The Nafziger Collection, 2003.
Gee Kev shouldn't Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon be on this list somewhere? No Rothenberg either?
Old 20 Mar 12, 18:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rothenberg's Napoleon's Great Adversary is on there and I'm not a fan of Chandler's Campaigns.

I believe that the Esposito/Elting Atlas is much better especially as it doesn't try to codify Napoleon's method of waging war as Chandler attempts to (and inaccurately to my mind).

Of course, this isn't a complete listing...

Sincerely,
M
Old 20 Mar 12, 20:54
General of the Forums
United_States

It is a good listing,and my small library may have to order some,and I may have to hit Amazon,but I do that alot anyway. Good listing my friend,and thank you kindly.
Old 20 Mar 12, 21:38
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

You're very welcome. Anything you need that I can provide, I will.

Sincerely,
M
Old 20 Mar 12, 21:48
General of the Forums
United_States

And again,I thank you. Think I got #2 son involved now too. A rarity.
Old 21 Mar 12, 03:53
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Westerns Campaign Greatest Spy Movies Campaign 
Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700] Legate is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massena View Post
Rothenberg's Napoleon's Great Adversary is on there and I'm not a fan of Chandler's Campaigns.

I believe that the Esposito/Elting Atlas is much better especially as it doesn't try to codify Napoleon's method of waging war as Chandler attempts to (and inaccurately to my mind).

Of course, this isn't a complete listing...

Sincerely,
M
Whoops. I didn't see the Rothenberg book. I assumed everything was alphabetical but there was a Q in the middle of the Rs.

Now that I think about it,Napoleon's way of war was pretty informal and somewhat ad hoc. Trying to codify a system for him would be futile although I will say there was rudimentary beginnings there.
Old 21 Mar 12, 21:42
General of the Forums
United_States

Thanks my friend.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!