StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > Napoleonic Era

Notices and Announcements

Napoleonic Era Discuss the many wars fought around the globe around the time of Napoleon. This forum is dedicated to the memory of Ben Weider and our late friend and long time ACG Staff member, Michael Brown, better known here as Post Captain.

Old 11 Jan 12, 14:00
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compans View Post
Don't know the book, but I do know who the bloke in the photo is!

Which one's the bloke? Don't like your's much mate.
They say that the Von looks just as cute in a wimple

Paul
Can win mans heart for you;
And many a blessing know to stew
To make a megloamaniac bright;
Give honour to the dainty Corse,
The Pixie is a little shite.
Old 15 Jan 12, 12:59
Private
Wales

geegeewaterloo is on the path to success [1-99]
Smile Waterloo Archive 3

Hi All

Just a quick note, as I have had a number of enquiries about the next volume in the series. Volume 3 (British sources) is due in the shops in the next week - apologies for the delay - not my fault!
Volume 4 (British sources) will be out in June.

Cheers

Gareth Glover
Old 15 Jan 12, 18:20
General of the Forums
England
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 
Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role  Aircraft Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Dibble201Bty has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geegeewaterloo View Post
Hi All

Just a quick note, as I have had a number of enquiries about the next volume in the series. Volume 3 (British sources) is due in the shops in the next week - apologies for the delay - not my fault!
Volume 4 (British sources) will be out in June.

Cheers

Gareth Glover
I know that I have already sent you an E-mail or two on this Gareth but let me say in public....

Thanks for the sitrep mate!

Paul
Old 17 Jan 12, 20:18
Private
United_States

Lannes22 is on the path to success [1-99]
I've read Margaret Chrisawns account of Jean Lannes, it is amazing i must say it really was intriguing to get into the career of the great Marshal. Also I've read Napoleon by Sir something i forget but it was excellent albeit a little biased. Read Murats book by Atteridge i think it is, Rather boring for such a bright character as Murat. Am currently reading Chandlers Napoleons Marshals and Anatomy of Glory. Also have Napoleon cavalry and tactics by David Johnson. Still have that one and just got two new ones today on Daumesnil and Jean Rapp. Wish there was an account of LaSalle, love that little guy guy and Montbrun too.
Old 10 Feb 12, 16:59
General of the Forums
England

Hooray!! It arrived this morning!

After 10 months, Gareth Glover's Waterloo Archive Volume III: British Sources is finally awaiting my perusal in depth. I have had a look at the illustrations included which are of La Belle Alliance, the Duke's H.Q in Brussels and also an interesting painting of the observation tower that was built for serveying the country before the battle. I have also read the 'rather amusing' Forward by the present Marquess of Anglesey, the Introduction by Gareth Glover and the first letter written by Lt. Col George Scovell who was on the staff of the Quatermaster General.

When I have time I will read the rest and give my opinion.

Paul
Old 14 Feb 12, 07:20
General of the Forums
England

Gareth Glover's Waterloo Archive Volume III: British Sources

Well I've read it,

I must say that for 10 months of waiting it wasn't worth it. OK it starts of well with the correspondence of Col. Sir George Scovell those of The Earl of Uxbridge, his son Henry Paget and a few other letters, Eg, Sgt. Charles Ewart but the rest, perhaps 190 of the 227 pages, being of private correspondence between soldier and relative/friend which is very interesting on a social historical context (most is of every day and mundane topics) but of no interest where the Waterloo campaign is concerned.

I can't help thinking that most of the contents was used to just 'pad out' this volume which reads like a non fictional Vanity Fair where the campaign is just a back drop to peoples private lives and peccadillo's.

I see that Gareth is releasing Waterloo Archive Volume IV: British Sources in June and I am wondering just what other 'British Sources' he is going to use; if it is anything like volume III, I will not bother and god forbid if the sources are even more 'remote' to the campaign itself.

Ever since I brought a signed copy of Voices of Thunder and Letters from the Battle of Waterloo some 8 years ago, I have always seen Gareth's Editorial tomes (those of interest to me) as a must buy especially his Waterloo Archive series which I awaited publication like an enthusiastic school boy; I just hope that the next volume to come will not be so disappointing as to put me off of any further purchases.

Please Gareth, If you haven't got the right ingredients, don't bake the pie!

Paul
Old 14 Feb 12, 07:41
Brigadier General
France

VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500] VieuxChat is a jewel in the rough [500]
Thanks for the review, can I ask you about this one (if you know it):

"Some Particulars of the Battle at Waterloo; In a Letter from a Serjeant in the Guards (C. W.)"
Old 14 Feb 12, 07:54
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxChat View Post

"Some Particulars of the Battle at Waterloo; In a Letter from a Serjeant in the Guards (C. W.)"
Not read it but google copy at: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=X...page&q&f=false
Old 14 Feb 12, 08:06
General of the Forums
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by VieuxChat View Post

'C.W' was Colour Sergeant Charles Wood of the 3rd Battalion of 1st Foot Guards.

Paul

Last edited by Dibble201Bty; 14 Feb 12 at 08:30..
Old 14 Mar 12, 19:51
Sergeant Major
UK

Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99] Prinz Essling is on the path to success [1-99]
While John R Elting's "swords around a Throne" is an excellent book on the Grande Armee, he acknowledged that there were some errors.

On the Napoleon Series Forum a list of errata was published:

The following was posted by George Nafziger in the predecessor to this forum 02 May 1999.
In a recent letter from Colonel John Elting I received a copy of an errata for Swords Around The Throne. He asked that I give it the widest possible distribution, so I have decided to transcribe it on the forum. What better way, eh?
Any spelling or other errors are mine, not his.
George
In a book such as this, packed with details, I have found that in spite of repeated ditings, I may end up with seeing what should be there, rather than what is actually is. Finding such errors after your book is printed is rather like going to your bureau for a clean shirt - and opening the drawer on a coiled rattlesnake.
As, Swords was published in 1988. we have learned a lot about the Grand Armee since then. This, therefore, is an attempt to bring Swords up to date.
Page 94 - regarding guide unit activated in 1806 for service in Germany (line 7). History is incomplete/incorrect.
"In October 1805, offering generous pay and allowances, Napoleon ordered the formation of two squadrons of retired officers and noncommissioned officers to serve as interprters and messengers. Unable to secure enough qualified volunteers, he ordered each dragoon regiment to provide two qualified soldiers with at least eight years of service. This organisation was disbanded 30 June 1807, the ex-dragoons being assigned to Berthier's guides."
Uniforms, Volume I, Command & Staff, Plate 29.
Page 150 - line 16. "1796" should be "1794". Napoleon was assigned as chief of artillery to the Army of Italy that year, serving also as the commander's brains and meeting Massena and Serurier.
Page 196 - 3rd paragragh. Two more Young Guard companies were added in 1814 to the Guard Genie.
Page 197 - 4th paragraph. It has now been definitely established that the flanquers-chasseurs were formed in 1811, the flanquers-grenadiers in 1813.
Page 253 - line 15 from bottom. The veteran cannoneers also had red turnbacks.
Page 370 - line 13. Official date for the formation of the Chasseurs d'Orient was 1802.
Page 371 - line 13. "1800" should be "1802".
Page 411 - line 14. "1800-February 1801" should be "1790-February 1791".
Page 450 - lines 9-10. The diamond plate shako plate had been introduced in 1810, but was not universally adopted. The 1812 plate was an "eagle on a crescent." Both were worn in 1813, and probably in 1814.
Page 660 - line 18 from the bottom. "soldiers" should be "artillerymen". Barbanegne's total garrison was approximately 3,500 almost all reluctant national guards.
Page 724 - XXVI. Strategy & Tactics - Note 7, line 2. "feet" should be "yards".

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I seem to recollect that some years ago there was a longer list set on Elting's own personnel website (I did have a copy but unfortunately the longer list has been misplaced ). Does anyone have a copy of this longer set of errata (or even Elting's old website address so that I can try the "Wayback machine" to see if it can throw up the full list)?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links

Old 15 Mar 12, 09:10
Sergeant Major
UK

Thanks - my recollection is that the official errata when printed out occupied roughly 2.5 sheets of A4. Anyone one able to help?
Old 16 Mar 12, 17:00
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
The only errata that I have seen on Swords is what you posted here.

Col Elting did not have a computer, so he didn't have a website.

Unfortunately, every book has errors in it. Col Elting was good enough to get the errors he found in Swords posted so that corrections could be made in the text.

Col Elting's copy of Swords was heavily annotated, though I never saw it. When he died in 2000 his nephew kept the copy, which I don't blame him.

Before Col Elting died he and I were talking on the phone one afternoon and he was contemplating writing Swords II and asked me what I thought of the idea. I told him I thought it a great idea and he was collecting material for it, some of which I was given after he died by his wife, which I greatly appreciated.

Swords was the result of 30 years of research and study on the Col's part and it is still the best organizational history of the Grande Armee in English, if not in any language, no matter what the naysayers, revisionists, and those who don't know any better say.

Sincerely,
M
To strive to seek to find and not to yield.
Old 16 Mar 12, 17:02
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Massena has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
One last thing that might help, is that if you had access to Col Elting's library, anyone might be impressed.

And, as he lived about four miles north of West Point, he had access to the world class library there, and their special collections, which I was given permission to use, is rich in primary source material on the Napoleonic period, and as Col Elting had been an associate history professor at West Point, he had access to the material any time he wished.

Sincerely,
M
Old 16 Mar 12, 20:05
General of the Forums
United_States

rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900] rebpreacher has earned the respect of all [900]
Took a trip to the library today. I got the following:
Paris In The Terror June 1793-July 1794 by Stanley Loomis
Two different books called The Age of Napoleon
One by J.Christopher Herold
The other by Will and Ariel Durant.
Any of these good?
Old 16 Mar 12, 23:45
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

The Durants' volume is good, but somewhat pedantic.

Anything by JC Herold is worth reading.

Sincerely,
M

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!