StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > First Person Shooters

Notices and Announcements

First Person Shooters For FPS games of all types and for all platforms.

Old 19 Aug 12, 07:21
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Rising Storm for RO2

The devs for Rising Storm, a mod for RO2, have released a multiplayer gameplay video showcasing the battles for New Guinea, Betio, Saipan and Iwo Jima.

What do you guys think? I reckon it looks like it's gonna be good.
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 19 Aug 12, 16:08
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
I was very disappointed by RO2, even after they released that mega-patch a few months ago. To me, it felt less like RO2 and more like RO1.5 - in other words, like Tripwire just released a super-mod for RO. Nothing really impressed me; it felt clunky and unpolished.

Now, this vid makes the expansion look much better, but vids are vids (the RO2 vids looked pretty good too). I won't be taking the plunge unless Tripwire has another F2P weekend so I can try it for myself before I buy. Still, I am hoping for the best.
Old 22 Aug 12, 16:44
Brigadier General
Pirate
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks Bailey View Post
I was very disappointed by RO2, even after they released that mega-patch a few months ago. To me, it felt less like RO2 and more like RO1.5 - in other words, like Tripwire just released a super-mod for RO. Nothing really impressed me; it felt clunky and unpolished.
That's interesting since those that started with RO1 don't generally consider it a sequel or a successor since they feel it went down the 'casual shooter' route. Hence the classic mode that came with the big patch.

I'd have to agree that it didn't really live up to be a worthy successor. Even then I think it's a lot better than Call of Battlefield.
Old 22 Aug 12, 23:13
Captain
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99] Rooks Bailey is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
That's interesting since those that started with RO1 don't generally consider it a sequel or a successor since they feel it went down the 'casual shooter' route. Hence the classic mode that came with the big patch.
Yeah, I can't comment about the game on release, but I played it when the mega-patch was released that included the new classic mode. I only played that mode because I liked the original RO feeling, so I can't really comment on the other modes that shipped with v1.0. However, based on my experiences with classic mode, it felt less like RO2 and more like RO1.5. So, in a sense classic mode did return the game to its roots...but perhaps a bit too far.

Quote:
I'd have to agree that it didn't really live up to be a worthy successor.
Unfortunately.

Quote:
Even then I think it's a lot better than Call of Battlefield.
Depends on what you are looking for in a shooter I guess. I think all three have carved out a unique niche.
Old 23 Aug 12, 12:34
Brigadier General
Australia

Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200] Crackshot is walking in the light [200]
Quote:
I'd have to agree. I had the same problems with BIA:HH. It abandoned it's semi-realistic tactical roots to make a more FPS experience. And Furious Four just looks awful.

The RS devs have claimed they are going to do away with classes and weapons xp and try and make it more like Ostfront. If they live up to that, sounds good to me.
You, the mothers, who sent their sons from faraway countries wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace, after having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

-- Ataturk
Old 23 Aug 12, 15:19
Brigadier General
Pirate

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
Yeah, I can't comment about the game on release, but I played it when the mega-patch was released that included the new classic mode. I only played that mode because I liked the original RO feeling, so I can't really comment on the other modes that shipped with v1.0. However, based on my experiences with classic mode, it felt less like RO2 and more like RO1.5. So, in a sense classic mode did return the game to its roots...but perhaps a bit too far.
Ah, ok, I see what you mean. I don't think they should have brought back classic but kept the game to one gameplay stetting by keeping the realism mode and ditching the easy one.

The initial release was quite buggy which didn't help either.

Quote:
Depends on what you are looking for in a shooter I guess. I think all three have carved out a unique niche.
I do play BF and COD - BF2 and the original Call of Duty plus the expansion pack. Those shooters do what they do well. Not much of a fan of their more recent titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackshot View Post
I'd have to agree. I had the same problems with BIA:HH. It abandoned it's semi-realistic tactical roots to make a more FPS experience. And Furious Four just looks awful.

The RS devs have claimed they are going to do away with classes and weapons xp and try and make it more like Ostfront. If they live up to that, sounds good to me.
IIRC, wasn't this going to be a free mod when first announced? I think they handed out the development kit to some community teams way before the release of RO2.
Old 23 Aug 12, 18:52
Brigadier General
Australia

Quote:
IIRC, wasn't this going to be a free mod when first announced? I think they handed out the development kit to some community teams way before the release of RO2.
Yeah, the mod was apparently in development before HOS was released to the Public.

As for free, one wishes, but I don't think theres much of a chance it'll be free. All speculative, of course. Maybe a discount for HOS owners?

-- Ataturk
Old 24 Aug 12, 14:01
Brigadier General
Pirate

As long as it's reasonably priced. I hope it will boost the RO2 player base.

Any word on the Vietnam one?
Old 26 Aug 12, 13:10
Lieutenant General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200] TactiKill J. is walking in the light [200]
I was lucky enough to get in the Alpha for this, but I'm not sure if I'm still under a pesky NDA or not

The new right wing: hate Muslims, preaches tolerance for Nazis.
Old 27 Aug 12, 00:28
Brigadier General
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TactiKill J. View Post
I was lucky enough to get in the Alpha for this, but I'm not sure if I'm still under a pesky NDA or not
You lucky lucky man. Can you at least tell us if it's any good so far without releasing too many specific details?

On related news, there's going to be a beta apparently before release.

-- Ataturk
Sponsored Links

Old 27 Aug 12, 00:30
Brigadier General
Australia

Quote:
As long as it's reasonably priced. I hope it will boost the RO2 player base.

Any word on the Vietnam one?
Good question. Wish there was an answer.

-- Ataturk
Old 20 Oct 12, 04:53
Brigadier General
Australia

I actually managed to wrangle my way into a pre-Alpha test. Can't wait till I start, hopefully within two weeks.

I can't reveal too much. Non-Disclosure Agreements. No biggie though, well worth it.

-- Ataturk
Old 05 Jun 13, 07:13
Private
UK

RoryK is on the path to success [1-99]
I loved the Red Orchestra series! Played from orginal RO, Played the DH mod for a few years, then RO2 and now Rising storm! I cant get enough of it lol, pretty much the only game I play now
Old 13 Aug 13, 21:37
Colonel
Australia

globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200] globetrotter is walking in the light [200]
Any AG members on any of the servers?

I was playing religiously for a couple of weeks but backed off to attend to RL issues.
Old 31 Aug 13, 09:26
Corporal
UK

mainsworthy is on the path to success [1-99]
I found very few servers around without bots, but I liked this game

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!