StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > Simulations

Notices and Announcements

Simulations Flight, tank, naval, and any other Sim players gather here.

Old 04 Aug 12, 11:12
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Fleet Command

I just recently added Naval War: Arctic Circle to my collection was disappointed. I have gone back to this one.

One of my favorite simulations for modern naval action has to be Fleet Command. It is highly able to have mods added and so on. I am still using the old Jane's version of the game, and yes I am running it fine on a Windows 7 system. Right now, I just don't have the money to drop into the updated version.

You can play just about any navy out there. And, thanks to the people who did all the work on the Naval Warfare Project you can play the 1960's right up to around 2020 in the game.

Yes some of the models are old. Yes the graphics aren't the best out there. Yes the game is dated out of the box. All that said, the game is still worth owning and playing.

Next to my table top playing of Harpoon 4.1, I find you can really explore the feel of modern war at sea. You can get an idea of how the modern fleets built for "cold war" blue water struggle is having to struggle with this new era of brown water "littoral combat" in the restricted waters of coastal operations.

You can see the strengths and weaknesses of these navies even when they are the blue water.

It is just one hell of a flexible platform.

Does anyone else still play this game because of its flexibility and the ability to get close to what it was like....

It is still a very nice platform of play.

Iowa class BB

Enterprise class CVN

Nimitz class CVN

Ticonderoga class CG

Bunker Hill class CG

Arleigh Burke (flight I) class DDG

Arleigh Burke (flight II) class DDG

Spruance class DD "mid to late 90's final configuration"

Knox class FF "late appearance"

Oliver Hazard Perry class FFG

Avenger class MCM

Osprey class MHC

Even just showing a few of the vast number of American models shows its variety of ships.....
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 05 Aug 12, 06:44
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I recently downloaded FC from Steam, or maybe a different place like GOG. I used to have the original Janes version but lost the disk. I still enjoy FC greatly.

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!
Old 05 Aug 12, 11:16
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100] Cowboy31a has demonstrated strength of character [100]
It offers a great way to gain a basic idea of what is involved in the "Cold War" era at sea.

I hope you have added the Naval Warfare Project mod. This mod allows you to conduct battles at sea and against land targets from the late 1960's to around 2015, I would say.

I will point out though most of the early stuff in the mod centers around the US in Vietnam and the Soviet Navy in the Cold War.

The stars of the show, would have to be the carriers. It teaches you to manage and time out your strike packages from those carriers. You have to learn how to plan the levels of attack.

I was surprised just how effective the Iowa class refits were...

You can replay the Falkland War....

It is simply still one of the best naval sims on the computer.
Old 05 Aug 12, 12:51
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

A Surface Action Group operating in waters off the coast of Cuba as it might have appeared in the early 1990.

The members of this fictional battle group SAG.61

Battleship USS Iowa (BB-61) flagship and the center peace of the task group.

The nuclear powered guided missile cruiser USS California (CGN-36) leading the screening ships of the task force. She would have co-ordinate the AAW of the group.

The destroyer USS Caron (DD-970) would have been the main ASW asset to the task force.

The guided missile destroyer USS Chandler (DDG-996) would use her capabilities in conjunction with the other screening vessels, and would most likely be the ship that would have responsibility of repealing a small boat (torpedo boat type vessels) surface attack against the task force.

Note: There isn't an AGIES ship in the task force. Given the low to medium risk that the SAG would face from the Cuban Air Force wouldn't have warranted the deployment of the then very few AGIES ships. The only ships of this type avalible in 1990 were the Ticonderoga and Bunker Hill class cruisers that would be tied down to the massive carrier forces. The guided missile destroyers of the Arliegh Burke class were just coming online.
Old 07 Aug 12, 07:58
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 

Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Gixxer86g has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
I didn't know about the mod. I will definitely get it.

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!
Old 08 Aug 12, 19:06
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States

StellarRat is on the path to success [1-99] StellarRat is on the path to success [1-99]
I have Fleet Command somewhere in my "old game box". Does anyone know if there is mod for WW II?
Old 11 Aug 12, 16:28
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarRat View Post
I have Fleet Command somewhere in my "old game box". Does anyone know if there is mod for WW II?
I haven't seen one, but it wouldn't be hard to make. The hard code for guns and things like that are already there.

Where the problem is going to be is the making of the models. and writing the database for the mod.

Well, that said, even though we don't have a World War II mod for it, the Naval Warfare Project mod for Fleet Command has given us a wonderful Cold War mod.

The NWP mod has come along way since it first started. We can run actions from 1965 to around 2015 or even further as models and information becomes available.
Old 15 Aug 12, 19:24
General
UK
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign 

flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400] flash has a spectacular aura about [400]
Me too.
Played FC off and on years but didn't know there were any mods for it.
Where can I get me one?
Old 16 Aug 12, 07:44
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

the downloads can be found inside this forum for the mod...

http://forums.navalwarfare.net/forum...ARFARE-PROJECT
Old 02 Jun 13, 16:03
Recruit
England

dirtydick is a balanced individual [0]
Hello (first post, led here by Google)

I used to use the NWP mods about 6-7 years ago on an old desktop and just the other day rediscovered my old copy of FC and decided to run it on a newer desktop I keep running with XP on it. I found the NWP modification programme is now defunct, but fortunately still hosted on the wider forum so was.

I downloaded the 1.38 patch and the latest NWP 19.2 modification, then loaded FC from CDRom. Whilst all appear to have downloaded successfully, none of the NWP modifications show on FC, just the original configuration.

I was wondering whether anyone here could jog my memory about the correct process to install the mods onto the extant game, as this wasn't clearly shown on the NWP site. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Old 03 Jun 13, 02:52
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400] Matt Jones has a spectacular aura about [400]
Interesting...kinda looks like Fighting Steel for the modern era. Might have to check this one out...

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!
Old 09 Dec 14, 12:50
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

The year is 1970, and a small USN Destroyer Division is operating off of what was called the firing line just a mile offshore of North Vietnam. This was a common occurrence and just routine for this small group of ships. Most of the ships in our group had been in the fleet since World War II. But, what was a little different this trip up the line was the fact that they were trying out a new tactic that was being developed by the fleet that was operating in the war zone. They were on a hunt and destroy mission.

With DASH (Drone Anti-Submarine Helicopter) being withdrawn from the fleet starting in 1970, the powers at Pacific Fleet and the command at Subic Bay decided to see if a recon package could be developed for the QH-50 drone, and what was produced was a two pod system that would equal the weight of a torpedo load. The package included a low light television system, a TV camera, a flare dropping device and a transmission system to send the information back to the controlling ship. This was a minimal modification to the drone itself. All the electronics were self=contained. The range of the drone was limited to within the maximum reach of the guns of the controlling ship.

This is not a true mission of the type, but it is a faithful recreation of what one of these “Snoopy” missions would have been like. Not all the ships in the demonstration were in the theater of action.

Or intrepid little task force consisted of the following ships, all of which had undergone FRAM II conversion in the early 1960’s

Leading our little intrepid group was the Gearing class destroyer USS Everett L. Larson that was accompanied by three older near sisters of the Allen M. Sumner class

USS Allen M. Sumner

USS Lyman K. Swenson

USS Douglas H. Fox
Old 09 Dec 14, 12:51
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

On patrol at appox. 0130 hours

The Snoopy goes in

Something most have been found….it was a NVA artillery battery

Snoopy comes back to the dog house
Old 15 Aug 15, 13:21
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

I finally updated the game to SCS version. Handles graphics a bit better, but it is still same game in terms of play, but that is because it is still same game.

Love the game play, though not as flixable as Harpoon 3 ANW, it does help teach the "headaches" of conducting sea war in the mid 20th Century to the early 21st Century.

Right now I am writing a series of Vietnam operations for both Harpoon and Fleet Command. Given the databases that each use, i am getting an education in operations at sea in the late 1960's. Right now playing around with "alpha strikes" over Vietnam.
Old 15 Aug 15, 17:08
Brigadier General
Canada
ACG Ten Year Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
Herman Hum has a spectacular aura about [400]
I look forward to trying your Harpoon scenarios. Good luck.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

FAQ http://www.harplonkhq.com/Harpoon/Fr...dQuestions.htm

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!