StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games

Notices and Announcements

MMO Games Players can discuss their online experiences with Massively Multiplayer Online games here!

Old 19 Jul 12, 16:37
ACG Forums - General Staff
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
MechWarrior Online

MechWarrior Online
(Click above for Homepage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechWarrior Wiki
MechWarrior Online (also known as MechWarrior 5) is the upcoming fifth game in the MechWarrior series. It is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online game scheduled to be released in late 2012 for the PC, and will follow the core BattleTech storyline but with re-designed BattleMechs. The game is an action simulation, and its setting will begin in 3049 then progress in real-time. Players can choose to join a house or mercenary company, or remain independent, and they pilot 'Mechs to fight for control of territories in a persistent world.
This looks exciting. I've always enjoyed the MechWarrior video games - although I never did play BattleTech or read any of the other stuff. But this seems right up my alley.

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 20 Jul 12, 10:48
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
SPQR Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Under threat of violating the NDR (closed beta currently) all I can tell you is it's fairly awesome and getting better as we go towards open-beta and live.
Old 20 Jul 12, 11:48
Sinc
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Summer Campaign 
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Daemon of Decay has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthwys View Post
Under threat of violating the NDR (closed beta currently) all I can tell you is it's fairly awesome and getting better as we go towards open-beta and live.
I won't tell if you won't.
Old 24 Jul 12, 01:21
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Interesting....

One of my very first owned PC game was Mechwarrior. It was bought after Wing Commander III. I can't remember which game it was in Mechwarrior series, but I had fun playing that game. Wing Commander and Mechwarrior series are one of few games I'd like to re-play someday, and will always continue to have fun playing them.

So, yeah, I will buy this game the minute it's released to the public. I don't care if it sucks, I just want to play a Mech once again!

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"
Old 24 Jul 12, 12:22
United_States
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 
Summer Campaign 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900] hellboy30 has earned the respect of all [900]
I played the entire series 1-4 and have all the add-ons. Love it & cannot wait to play this!
Old 24 Jul 12, 16:47
Sinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy30 View Post
I played the entire series 1-4 and have all the add-ons. Love it & cannot wait to play this!
It does look like fun. Mechs might be silly and pointless in reality, but they are fun in scifi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah772 View Post
Interesting....

One of my very first owned PC game was Mechwarrior. It was bought after Wing Commander III. I can't remember which game it was in Mechwarrior series, but I had fun playing that game. Wing Commander and Mechwarrior series are one of few games I'd like to re-play someday, and will always continue to have fun playing them.

So, yeah, I will buy this game the minute it's released to the public. I don't care if it sucks, I just want to play a Mech once again!

Dan
Agreed. Have you ever been to a Dave & Busters? They (normally) have a set up in the back where you and a couple of friends can get into mock-ups of the cockpits from mechs and play multiplayer games of Mechwarrior... 4? 5? Something like that.

Anyway, its a real blast - the games not that different than the PC version, but the whole set up - including levers for your throttle, weapon selection, etc. - is a treat.
Old 25 Jul 12, 12:46
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon March Offensive 

Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cheetah772 is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Humm...that's taking the gaming experience to an entirely new level.

Jealous? Not really, as much as I love playing computer games, in some ways, I think some people are overdoing it by building PC simpits or cockpits that almost look like the real thing.

But I will say this, it's neat to have multi-displays, as that will truly give a person better view of his surroundings inside the game world.

But nonetheless, the video clips are cool!

Dan

"Aim small, miss small."

Chieftain Iosephus Namathus of Brigantes, Eagles Deux

"I am Britannia!"
Old 25 Jul 12, 18:52
General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Westerns Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II SPQR Campaign 

Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800] Captain General gives and gets respect [800]
Might check this out.

I used to read the old Battletech books and played some of the old games.

Even played the original Battletech and Succession Wars back in the 80's.

Homer

BoRG
Old 28 Jul 12, 08:36
First Sergeant
United_States

Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99]
As an old player of BattleTech (back in the 90's), I'm looking forward to this one. I devoutly wish it had a singleplayer campaign, but it's hard to argue with the price.
Old 01 Aug 12, 22:49
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Martok has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
This might be the game which finally pulls me away from Warhammer.

(Better to die on your feet than live on your knees)
Sponsored Links

Old 11 Aug 12, 04:18
General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
The best thing about MW4 was putting a massive gun (like the 12 tonne "CLBX/20") on a tiny chassis (like the 20 tonne lights) and giving massive Mechs a surprise when the tiny little nipper running around their feet knocks one of their arms off!

I shope we get that in this game.
Old 11 Aug 12, 07:49
First Sergeant
United_States

Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99] Kahless is on the path to success [1-99]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashy View Post
The best thing about MW4 was putting a massive gun (like the 12 tonne "CLBX/20") on a tiny chassis (like the 20 tonne lights) and giving massive Mechs a surprise when the tiny little nipper running around their feet knocks one of their arms off!
Holy crap. Was that even possible?? (I only played MW4 a handful of times times, so I wouldn't really know.)

I remember in the pen-and-paper version, there's a light Mech (I want to say the Panther, but that's probably wrong) armed with a single PPC.
It packed a nasty punch for its size, of course, but at a price: In order to fit the weapon in the chassis, they had to give the Mech only minimal armor and a smaller engine (thus making it no faster than a medium/heavy Mech). The design did give the Mech's pilot the advantage of decent range and simplicity of tactics, but its lack of decent armor and (especially!) speed made it overly vulnerable IMO.
Old 11 Aug 12, 08:35
General
Pirate
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600] Dashy is simply cracking [600]
Panthers one of the ones you can do it with, 25 tonnes of course, you minimize armour and max up speed, if you have a few mediums or heavies to distract enemy mediums, especially those dammed bushwhackers, you can run literal circles around enemy heavies and assaults, although if they get a lucky shot in you can be screwed. what i tend to do is change the armour to reactive and put every shred on the legs and mounting for the cannon-o-doom.

Though i'll admit I'm far more partial to the Bushwacker, I love to ride them and hate to face them, easily one of the best Mechs in MW4, it can literally fill any role.
Old 11 Aug 12, 08:44
Sinc

I have always been partial too the Mad Dog / Vulture.

Old 11 Aug 12, 09:16
General
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
I have always been partial too the Mad Dog / Vulture.

Vultures nice, and it's got some good variants and it's probably the best "Long Range/Brawler" combo available, when taking into consideration weight, speed and armour.

Personally though I can't work the heavies, I need either a stupidly fast light or medium with decent armour +speed, with heavies I never get the armour/weaponry/speed gestalt I require, even with the Timberwolf.

Assault class though, I just load on the armour and the dakka, I had a Annihilator with several AC/5's, if you cycled through the cannons you could keep an opponent reeling and throw off their aim like no-ones business, or you could put 4 LBX/20's on it and blast any and everything to oblivion.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!