StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Historical Events & Eras > American Age of Discovery, Colonization, Revolution, & Expansion > American Colonial Era

Notices and Announcements

American Colonial Era 1660-1763 The growth of North American colonies, often with a change in native & national control.

Old 11 Jul 12, 14:05
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Bacon's Rebellion

Been spending time the last couple of days reading about Bacon's Rebellion. I have spent time with the subject before and decided it was mostly a struggle between Berkeley (the wise old Governor) and Bacon (the rash young man). Its true they had actual Indian trouble to worry about but the major events seem to concern themselves more with a personal struggle between those two strong-willed individuals.

In reading about it then and reviewing that work now, I remain convinced that Bacon was a historical goat and does not represent any origins for the American Revolution. However, I may have been overly kind to Governor Berkeley in the past. I tended to see him as the high ground with Bacon as the villain. This time I am leaning more toward the idea that Berkeley lost it when he went way overboard with the hangings and seizures. After all, weren't most of the people involved were only concerned with safety from Indians? Certainly the commissioners saw it that way. Berkeley condemned and hanged about 25 men accused of being leaders in the rebellion. Many more had their property seized via acts of attainder.

Anyway, anyone interested in Bacon's rebellion? I am involved with writing a blog on the events and appreciate input.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 12 Jul 12, 09:01
General of the Forums
Canada
5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C SPQR Campaign 
CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
mmmm Bacon!

Old 12 Jul 12, 19:45
Captain
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99] Elijah is on the path to success [1-99]
Saw a TV show going on about bacon recently. Was it also called Bacon's Rebellion?

Anyway, not noticing alot of interest in Bacon's Rebellion. I have a blog going on the subject where I posted a chronology of the events. Its pretty long and detailed so I will just leave the link.

http://www.historum.com/blogs/baltis...hronology.html

I've been continuing to consider the events and I am wondering what it says about controlling mobs. The people of VA gave wholesale support to Bacon. I am fairly certain a large majority of the population joined the rebellion at one point or the other. They were in a state of mind that one might consider similar to an unruly mob.

Ultimately, Berkeley came down hard but the crown came behind him and annulled most of his acts of attainder and pardoned the rest of the population. Looking like the good guys to Berkeley's villain. They didn't really forgive Bacon himself but he died anyway.

What does this experience say about the 'treason' of the Continental Congress? Would they have really faced a hanging if trying to surrender at some point during the war years? The experience of Bacon's rebellion actually suggests the crown would likely have been forgiving if faced with an ability to restore order.
Old 29 Dec 13, 21:23
Private
United_States

Tgeorge is on the path to success [1-99]
Interests me. I always viewed Bacon as a proto-Colonial Rebel. I visited Virginia a couple of years ago and they still have a plantation House there where Bacon and his followers hung out during the rebellion. I was shown a collection of shattered glass vessels dug out of the grounds and told these were left-overs of Bacon's crew's partying there. I wish I could remember the Plantation House. I don't think it was on the York/Jamestown Peninsula but the next one south of it.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!