HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > History Library > Military Modelling and Other Hobbies

Notices and Announcements

Military Modelling and Other Hobbies Discuss model building, memorabilia, art, and other hobbies.

Old 28 Apr 04, 12:26
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Gepard is on the path to success [1-99]
Wargaming Conventions?

I'm living in the UCLA (Ugly Corner of Lower Alabama.) Does anyone know of a wargaming convention coming to Atlanta? Or New Orleans? Tampa? Orlando? Or anywhere in the deep South for that matter?

Thanks.
Facebook Connect and Magazine Promotions

World War II Magazine
$26.95

Armchair General Magazine
$26.95
Military History Magazine
$26.95
Old 29 Apr 04, 14:49
ACG Forums - Air Marshal
South_Vietnam
March Offensive 100 Greatest Generals, 2008 5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 
Summer Campaign Most Decisive Battle Campaign, 2008 Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign 
Best Pin-Up Of World War II Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+] RichardS has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Re: Wargaming Conventions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gepard
I'm living in the UCLA (Ugly Corner of Lower Alabama.) Does anyone know of a wargaming convention coming to Atlanta? Or New Orleans? Tampa? Orlando? Or anywhere in the deep South for that matter?

Thanks.
Dragon*Con in Atlanta has I think a wargaming section. It's mainly Scifi and fantasy, but there is some wargaming. For exampe they had the NSDM game there last year.

Cheers!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7
Old 29 Apr 04, 15:38
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Thanks

I like Sci Fi and Fantasy also so that might work out well. I will see if I can find something.
Old 29 Apr 04, 18:36
ACG Forums - Field Marshal
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award Greatest Westerns Campaign 

Jim H. Moreno has disabled reputation
You know, there seems to be a lot of wargamers here in Alabama. We should get together and began our own WarCon.
Old 30 Apr 04, 09:00
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Interesting

Actually, that would be an interesting idea. I'm not sure how you go about organizing a wargaming convention.

If I was going to have a wargaming convention in Alabama, I would probably pick Montgomery as the logical location. Maxwell AFB (Air University) is located in Montgomery. Fort Rucker (Home of Army Aviation is only 1.5 hours away in Dothan. If you advertised the event to both the Army and Airforce, you could pick up a few wargamers. Atlanta is only a couple of hours away.

Another option might be to have a much smaller event. Perhaps just rent a room in a Holiday Inn and have an all-weekend gaming session.
Old 30 Apr 04, 13:57
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 

Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300]
Go to dragoncon.

Play NSDM (www.nsdmg.org).

I think they're doing NSDM linked-miniature games too, which are interesting, although people take too long to play. They use GHQ models and play scenarios from the NSDM game. The scenarios are usually very interesting, but I find myself waiting for 20 minutes a turn for other people to finish up. :drool:

But seriously. Go to DragonCon. Play NSDM.
Old 30 Apr 04, 14:18
Gunnery Sergeant
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Dragon*Con-2004
(Atlanta, GA)
03-06 Sep

The NSDM staff regrets that we will not be attending DragonCon this year. Look for us to return to Atlanta in 2005, and be sure to let the DragonCon Games Director know that you'd like to see our games there in the future.

I followed the link and got this news.
Old 30 Apr 04, 18:46
General of the Forums
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon Distinguished Service Award 

Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300] Overseer is on a distinguished road [300]
Hmm, well it's a good thing I decided not to go to that convention!

The last time I talked with them, they were still planning on being at DragonCon, sorry man!

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!