StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games > World of Tanks

Notices and Announcements

World of Tanks Discuss the game and the Armchair General WoT clan.

Old 14 Jun 12, 14:12
Sergeant
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

VanguardFC007 is on the path to success [1-99]
Been thinking: Clans. Should I join one? Which should I join? How do I join?
-Q
Old 14 Jun 12, 14:56
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer25 View Post
The KV-1S is an amazing tank, you're just doing it wrong.
Yeah, that's helpful. Thanks for your sound advice Its a crap tank. Plain and simple. The KV-1 was a better thank, and I did better with it. And the matchmaker doesn't help me out much. If I could put my big gun on the KV-1 then I'd be much happier.

Anyway, for everyone else:

I got the big 122 now and I can put some nice damage out finally. However, the reload is so slow that my overall total damage hasn't really changed much. I still suffer from being damaged way too easily and still cant survive a battle, but at least my single shot damage potential makes me feel a little bit better. Still got a long way to go to get the IS though. I'm trying to sit back and snipe and not shove my tank into the front lines, but most of the games those lines end up coming to me and I'm too slow to get away.

Also, which would be better, HE or AP? I use both, but don't notice much difference between the two so far. Things that have the AP bounce usually don't feel much of the HE when I switch.

Edited to add: Finally got top of the list and did well for once (usually doesn't happen that way). So maybe the new gun will help a bit after all.

Last edited by Hida Akechi; 14 Jun 12 at 15:39..
Old 14 Jun 12, 17:54
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
I would only join a clan if I had a tier 10 or 9. I joined one when I had a tier 4 and I couldn't do anything with them really. Just play the loner until the top. Then people will be almost begging you to join, if you have a good tank.
Old 14 Jun 12, 20:37
General of the Forums
United_States

Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500] Hida Akechi is a jewel in the rough [500]
I have joined a clan, Joint Allied Strike Force. They seem to be in flux at the moment, since the original creator/leader moved on or something. Plus, they are a relaxed clan and not uber competitive, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

However, as a clan, they aren't doing anything at the moment. Maybe that will change sometime soon.
Old 14 Jun 12, 21:31
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
I have joined a clan, Joint Allied Strike Force. They seem to be in flux at the moment, since the original creator/leader moved on or something. Plus, they are a relaxed clan and not uber competitive, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

However, as a clan, they aren't doing anything at the moment. Maybe that will change sometime soon.
Glad you found a fun clan! That is always very important!
Old 15 Jun 12, 00:31
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C 
Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500] Destroyer25 is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanguardFC007 View Post
Been thinking: Clans. Should I join one? Which should I join? How do I join?
Depends on what your needs are. Most clans are a pack of mentally challenged noobs and squeakers who just want to be in a clan. Some are just groups of guys that like to play together in Platoons and TCs, are some are competitive that take TCs very seriously and do Clan Wars.

If you just want friends to grind with then there are plenty of clans like that, depending on your skill level of course.

Tell me whats tanks you have and your overall stats (Win %, Kills/Games Ratio are the most important), and I'll see if I can recommend a clan (NA server ofc).

Quote:
Yeah, that's helpful. Thanks for your sound advice Its a crap tank. Plain and simple. The KV-1 was a better thank, and I did better with it. And the matchmaker doesn't help me out much. If I could put my big gun on the KV-1 then I'd be much happier.
I did give you sound advice. I told you not to pub with it because the KV-1S is not a pub tank. You have to understand that some tanks simply aren't for pubbing and some are. The KV-1S is vastly superior tank than the KV-1. The KV-1 is a mediocre heavy tank for it's tier, the premium tanks of the same class and tier far outmatch it. The KV-1S on the other hand, is an excellent tank for it's class and tier. It can two shot any tank it will encounter in Med TCs. So if you pub with it you'll get what you deserve. So don't complain about getting your ass kicked in pubs. If you wanted a tier 6 heavy to pub with you should have gotten the KV-2 with the derp, that is a pub tank, the KV-1S is a TC tank.
Old 15 Jun 12, 17:52
General of the Forums
United_States

So, been playing more games, and the long 122 is making up for some of the KV-1S's flaws. Still can't survive more than a couple of hits, and I ALWAYS get tracked on the first hit. BUT, I can kill higher Tier tanks (with some help).

As long as I stay back and snipe, I'm good (most of the time). So, for the record, the KV-1S appears to be a glorified tank destroyer.

Got a long way to go till I get the IS. Been hearing a lot of good things about that series.
Old 15 Jun 12, 19:32
General of the Forums
United_States

ANYWAY, back to a happy thread:

For my long 122, is HE or AP better? Most of my opponents are Tier 8 or better if that helps in the opinions.
Old 15 Jun 12, 23:25
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
ANYWAY, back to a happy thread:

For my long 122, is HE or AP better? Most of my opponents are Tier 8 or better if that helps in the opinions.
HE is good for tanks that you can't pen in hopes of getting some critical damage. I normally use AP, but I can pen higher tier tanks. But if you can pen him really good you could try using HE, as it usually has a higher damage.
Old 16 Jun 12, 04:58
Brigadier General
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300] Greybriar is on a distinguished road [300]
Quote:
....For my long 122, is HE or AP better? Most of my opponents are Tier 8 or better if that helps in the opinions.
Don't expect wonders from using HE. It used to be great against higher level tanks, but it was nerfed a couple of months ago. However, if your shells are bouncing off, it's about the only alternative you have.
Sponsored Links

Old 16 Jun 12, 09:01
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybriar View Post
Don't expect wonders from using HE. It used to be great against higher level tanks, but it was nerfed a couple of months ago. However, if your shells are bouncing off, it's about the only alternative you have.
In some situations chucking a round into the targets tracks works jsut as well.

Oh as a rule of thumb: Never bother with HE if the gun calibre is under 100mm. 120mm is about where I consider it a good place to start, although I do do carry a few token rounds on smaller weapons.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 16 Jun 12, 10:03
General of the Forums
United_States

I used to carry an even mix when I could. However, sometimes I forget to switch when things are fast and shells are flying all over the place.

I blew up a T29 in the side at a distance of about 25 to 50 meters (he didn't see me waiting there), after he was down to 20%...using HE shells. But at other times, just as close, I had my AP bounce from a Tiger II in the side.

(Types of tanks listed in my example may be wrong, but they were close to the tier I was shooting at).

Then he turned his turret and one shotted me (I was at 100%--hey, at least he didn't track me on the first shot that time!) as I tried to frantically but gradually get back around the corner

I see the premium rounds a money suck that I will avoid at all costs, but are they that much better than the other rounds?
Old 18 Jun 12, 18:37
General of the Forums
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Greatest Blunders Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 
SPQR Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700] Arthwys is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
... I see the premium rounds a money suck that I will avoid at all costs, but are they that much better than the other rounds?
With Gold rounds you pretty much get what you pay for. I try to avoid using them if I can. But occasionally against Tier tens if I can't get to their flanks or rear then I'll throw one into them just to **** them off before I have to back off or get wasted.
Old 18 Jun 12, 18:40
Major
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign CWiE 1939-45 Campaign 

smallvillekalel is on the path to success [1-99] smallvillekalel is on the path to success [1-99] smallvillekalel is on the path to success [1-99] smallvillekalel is on the path to success [1-99] smallvillekalel is on the path to success [1-99] smallvillekalel is on the path to success [1-99] smallvillekalel is on the path to success [1-99]
Think I'll give it a try.
Old 01 Jul 12, 00:39
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
I used to carry an even mix when I could. However, sometimes I forget to switch when things are fast and shells are flying all over the place.

I blew up a T29 in the side at a distance of about 25 to 50 meters (he didn't see me waiting there), after he was down to 20%...using HE shells. But at other times, just as close, I had my AP bounce from a Tiger II in the side.

(Types of tanks listed in my example may be wrong, but they were close to the tier I was shooting at).

Then he turned his turret and one shotted me (I was at 100%--hey, at least he didn't track me on the first shot that time!) as I tried to frantically but gradually get back around the corner

I see the premium rounds a money suck that I will avoid at all costs, but are they that much better than the other rounds?
I usually carry a 2/3 AP and 1/3 HE.

What tank were you in?

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!