HistoryNet.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Best Games in History > MMO Games > World of Tanks

Notices and Announcements

World of Tanks Discuss the game and the Armchair General WoT clan.

Old 19 May 12, 12:47
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hida Akechi View Post
I got my first real medium, a PzIII armed with a 75mm KwK 37 L24. Up until I put the big gun on it I was have some great fun. Though most of the time I'm pitted against Tier VII and up. That's not fun seeing Tigers on the opposing side, knowing that I can't even scratch them.

But, this 75mm is too slow at loading compared to my old 50mm KwK 38 L42 and the accuracy is not good. I might switch back while I'm putting some research into a 50mm KwK 39 L60 which is more accurate and has better average pentration.

As for grinding to get the highest tier tanks...I'll get to them eventually. I like the lower tier stuff and am having fun right now. I'll get a better medium for the German tree and then work on some Soviet stuff. Still can't decide on the US side. Nothing really appeals to me at the moment.

I haven't tried artillery yet. Might give that a shot soon.
The Pnz 3 and Pnz 3/4 and kind of considered scouts so you will get quite a few bad matches.
Old 19 May 12, 16:30
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300]
I won't scout when we're facing high-tier opponents. That's just asking for an un-needed repair bill and a quick exit from the match.

Attacking target's that are your own tier or close to it doesn't wash very well when the higher tier tanks or artillery can kill you with one shot when they see you.

My original changes proposed reflect very well how the set-up for random matches should be. Maybe loosen it up a bit, but keep seperate low tiers and high tiers.

Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying the game. I am enjoying it. Nothing wrong with wanting to see it improved.

Hillary Clinton, the Butcher of Benghazi.
Old 19 May 12, 22:17
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build 

Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100] Johnny_Reb has demonstrated strength of character [100]
My idea of scouting and your idea of scouting I think are a little bit different.

My idea of scouting is stay behind a rock or keep moving, and keep the other team lit up, so the arty can take them out. But make sure you keep an eye out that you don't get flanked.

You will learn what I mean when you get higher up as the game play changes a lot from the lower tiers.

If I still played I would run with you for a little bit. But I stopped because of the time it took.

The idea behind the MM system is to bring the little guys up to speed with the bigger tanks. So that they will become accustomed to the playing of higher tiers. Sorry it is kind of hard to explain. What are you looking for? More kills with even rated opponents?

The ISs and Tigers don't always get it so easy they get placed low down in tier 10 matches rather often.

Last edited by Johnny_Reb; 19 May 12 at 22:48..
Old 19 May 12, 22:57
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300] Hida Akechi is on a distinguished road [300]
Yes, I do agree on the idea of the current MM. I don't like it, but its not stopping me from playing the game.

The scouting I've seen is the fastest tanks zooming into the opponent's starting zone zipping this way and that to avoid fire so the artillery has something to shoot at. That guy usually dies in a few seconds. But, sometimes, it works.

I was asked to do this, seen that there was at least 1 Tiger P and 1 IS. I did not reply and did my thing. Actually did well in that match, blocking the Tiger in with my own tank so he couldn't move back and he got nailed and destroyed by an allied heavy.

Old 20 May 12, 00:09
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build 

Quote:
Yes, I do agree on the idea of the current MM. I don't like it, but its not stopping me from playing the game.

The scouting I've seen is the fastest tanks zooming into the opponent's starting zone zipping this way and that to avoid fire so the artillery has something to shoot at. That guy usually dies in a few seconds. But, sometimes, it works.

I was asked to do this, seen that there was at least 1 Tiger P and 1 IS. I did not reply and did my thing. Actually did well in that match, blocking the Tiger in with my own tank so he couldn't move back and he got nailed and destroyed by an allied heavy.
Very good!

That is the idea of scouting that most people have. It has many flaws.

1. You commit suicide
2. Your team loses a player
3. It serves no purpose
4. You can't scout any more

With my idea of scouting you should stay alive at least half the game.
Sponsored Links

Old 20 May 12, 08:09
Brigadier General
UK
5 Year Service Ribbon Best Pin-Up Of World War II 

Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300] Mackie is on a distinguished road [300]
I remember when I went for the Panzer IV I had to go through the 38na. I thought it would be good, like the 38, but I got a surprise when I was put into high tier games. I was now supposed to "scout", I never chose to be one but was forced into it and it was the worst grind. If you didn't light up tanks first you didn't get the points so I had no choice but to spawn and suicide charge every game to light up the enemy before the other scouts. To be a really effective scout you have to save up huge amounts of cash and buys extras like camouflage and so on. The 38na had awful acceleration and I found that in the high tier games the medium tanks could get to the middle of the map faster than I and they had better view range. The whole thing was poorly though out making the 38na grind frustratingly repetitive.

I know they have made changes since then so maybe it has been fixed. Then again, since they tweaked the MM some months ago I'm seeing Panzer III and Lee tanks in games they just don't belong.

Fingers crossed for a historical game mode soon.
Old 20 May 12, 10:16
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

My experience extends a little over a week, so I can't compare it to "how it was". But:

1) My opinion is that the MM needs to be tweeked. No, not tweeked, fixed. I still have fun though. And I'm coping with it in my own way.

2) I do not like the P2W aspect of this F2P game, but I don't have to pay actual money if I don't want to and still enjoy doing what I do. However, it will take forever to get high Tier tanks this way. So be it.

3) There is nothing that can be done about this: asshat players. The ones that TK three players right at the start just because "its funny". Or the ones that think they can throw around orders to everyone else and then get mad when they get all blowed up and blames everyone but himself. Anyone that refers to anyone else as a "noob" is instantly placed on my ignore list. If I could only install that facepunch software into my computer so I can punch people in the face through their monitor....

I hope that doesn't really deter anyone. Asshats can be ignored. High Tier tanks can be reached with time. MM still allows you to play games against other people (just be careful and smart and quick).

I'm also looking forward to World of Warplanes and World of Battleships.

Old 20 May 12, 11:16
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build 

Quote:
My experience extends a little over a week, so I can't compare it to "how it was". But:

1) My opinion is that the MM needs to be tweeked. No, not tweeked, fixed. I still have fun though. And I'm coping with it in my own way.

2) I do not like the P2W aspect of this F2P game, but I don't have to pay actual money if I don't want to and still enjoy doing what I do. However, it will take forever to get high Tier tanks this way. So be it.

3) There is nothing that can be done about this: asshat players. The ones that TK three players right at the start just because "its funny". Or the ones that think they can throw around orders to everyone else and then get mad when they get all blowed up and blames everyone but himself. Anyone that refers to anyone else as a "noob" is instantly placed on my ignore list. If I could only install that facepunch software into my computer so I can punch people in the face through their monitor....

I hope that doesn't really deter anyone. Asshats can be ignored. High Tier tanks can be reached with time. MM still allows you to play games against other people (just be careful and smart and quick).

I'm also looking forward to World of Warplanes and World of Battleships.
1) Many people want it fixed, but I have found that that is what makes it a challenge. Just play through the lower tiers with the bad matches and if you try to watch the top tanks you will start to get better. So when you aren't at the bottom, but at the top you will know how to lead your team.

2)I did the exact same thing as you. The better you play. (I.E. More kills, more damage, lots of detected tanks.) The more credits and xp you will get. There are twitter quizzes and tournaments that you can enter to win gold.

3) I agree with you completely there! If they kill to many of my team more than 2 I will try to kill them. Though all of those problems kind of go away the higher up you get.
Old 21 May 12, 07:17
ACG Forums - General Staff
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
2) I do not like the P2W aspect of this F2P game[...]

What Pay 2 Win aspect?

you mean gold ammo? That's not pay to win, it can still bounce off, and even then, if you can see him, you can kill him before he fires his stack of coins at you. Plus Gold ammo will quickly be exhausted if you use it in randoms so almost no one does.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 21 May 12, 08:53
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Don't get ruffled I still like the game.

However, it is a Pay 2 Win game in many aspects. Yes, the gold ammo gives you an advantage; Wallet Warriors use it in randoms all of the time. The premium tanks bought with gold give you more Xp and credits. The gold one can buy allows one to convert it to credits to buy special equipment, making their tank better. So, its not just gold ammo. Paying money gives one an advantage over one that does not.

BUT its not necessary as I pointed out; it is possible to play and have fun and get to where you're going without paying. I am doing it without buying gold as others are. Its just not an aspect of the game I'm fond of, but I do understand that the creators of the game have to make money somehow (see my Wallet Warriors quip above).

Now, there might come a time when I have extra cash to blow that I might get a little bit of gold and put some neato camo paint jobs on some of the tanks that I'm keeping. But that will probably be all and probably won't happen for a while until I finally get high-tier tanks.

Old 21 May 12, 09:59
Brigadier General
United_States
Model Forum Group Build 

I wouldn't get any camo paint if I were you. It is a waste of money unless it is on a tank of above tier 6 and that you are going to keep.
Old 21 May 12, 10:30
UK
Model Forum Group Build (Multiple) Distinguished Service Award 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700] Listy is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
However, it is a Pay 2 Win game in many aspects. Yes, the gold ammo gives you an advantage; Wallet Warriors use it in randoms all of the time. The premium tanks bought with gold give you more Xp and credits. The gold one can buy allows one to convert it to credits to buy special equipment, making their tank better. So, its not just gold ammo. Paying money gives one an advantage over one that does not.
Not really, that's all "Pay to reduce grind". Which is fair enough. You can get silver for the modules and tanks, and EXP from grinding any tank, however its just faster with a premium.

Premium has no advantage on the battlefield, that's were winning counts.

BTW, I have 8 Premium tanks out of a garage of 26...

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 21 May 12, 16:51
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

26 tanks...yikes. Are they all tier 10? That would have been quite a grind, gold or not.

Old 21 May 12, 18:47
UK

Quote:
26 tanks...yikes. Are they all tier 10? That would have been quite a grind, gold or not.
1x T10, 4x T9, 2x T8, and I loose count from then. Most are keepers, and at low tiers are quite often replaced, or re-brought so I can maximize the most of my available space.

It was an Accident."
Herr Flick.
Old 25 May 12, 12:51
General
United_States
5 Year Service Ribbon 

Starting to get a little sick of being one-shotted early in a game because I'm being placed in a match with opposing tanks that are too high of a tier for me to deal with.

Sponsored Links

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!